FILUMS .. Dud endings/starts/concept

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: FILUMS .. Dud endings/starts/concept

Post by mercalia »

Well they were yank germs?
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Whippet wrote:My worst ending is the Spielberg version of War of the Worlds. In the book and 50’s version, man was totally defeated and the Martians only died because they had no immunity to germs. In the Spielberg version the aliens were indeed affected by germs but for some reason Spielberg felt it necessary for the staggering tripod to be brought down by a missile from some marines. It kind of spoils the point made at the end of the story and was presumably inserted so that dumb red necks in the audience could have their fist pumping moment.

Thanks, I watched the first hour or so once and was never motivated to finish it. I'm glad I didn't miss anything worthwhile. (As I recall, I was put off by the loud banging of the old failed-father-who-needs-to-find-himself drum when they could have been telling the story.)

My worst? Probably Species - I'm embarrassed to admit to having got that far, but the ending's double-barrelled plot holes did actually manage to make the film even worse. Then there's Resident Evil, which I always remember for its lack of plot, though TBF I might be biased since I managed to see a version that also had most of the special effects toned down.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Worst ending was Italian Job.
Over the years, it has become iconic so it was good, but it wasn't at the time.

At the time it was horrific. At the last minute of screenplay production, they changed the ending in the expectation of a sequel and how they got out.

The original story was for the boys to get the gold to a Swiss bank only to find that the bank manager was the Mafia boss and a deal had to be done.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Many stories/books have to be modified, condensed a lot to make a film, some stories have to be stretched

Thelma & Louise, mentioned elsewhere, has an interesting ending, trying to jump the Grand Canyon in a car :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:Worst ending was Italian Job.

At the time it was horrific. At the last minute of screenplay production, they changed the ending in the expectation of a sequel and how they got out.

The original story was for the boys to get the gold to a Swiss bank only to find that the bank manager was the Mafia boss and a deal had to be done.

Ah that would be bad ending. Didnt they do a remake of the film? what was that like?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

They did a US version using BMW German Mini abominations. Never seen it, and never want to.

As for the original ending for the film, the Mafia boss and Charlie Croker did a deal on the gold, so at least they would have got half of the three million dollars.

I've owned eight Minis over the years. First one in 1972, last one in 2000.
Two vans, four saloons and two estates.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Hey! You can't really mean that! Best ending ever for a film IMO. And of course it provides the perfect theme for the real-life disaster currently playing out in British politics:
Oh but of course I was forgetting - you are of the opposite persuasion. So maybe you don't see the funny side as most of us do....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Not sure if I'm being fair to cite this, after all it was very much of the low-budget B-movie genre (even if not billed as such) back in the early 60s.

Day of the Triffids.

I just can't buy into that "sea-water" remedy to all the human race's immediate problems, sorry. Too pat, too easy. Needless to say, neither the book nor the more recent TV version ends anything like it.

Incidentally, has anyone else read the fan-sequel, Night of the Triffids, by Simon Clark? A fairly decent follow-up, I thought, though not as good as John Wyndham's classic of course. Worth a read. In it the Triffids figure out how to take to the sea-water, hence giving the lie to the 1962 movie ending once and for all...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for The Night of the Triffids, I have read that too

Minus Two for product placement, usually it is that awful German make of car a*** :(
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
Hey! You can't really mean that! Best ending ever for a film IMO. And of course it provides the perfect theme for the real-life disaster currently playing out in British politics:
Oh but of course I was forgetting - you are of the opposite persuasion. So maybe you don't see the funny side as most of us do....

I am not of the opposite persuasion, it makes me want to cry :?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Whippet wrote:My worst ending is the Spielberg version of War of the Worlds. In the book and 50’s version, man was totally defeated and the Martians only died because they had no immunity to germs. In the Spielberg version the aliens were indeed affected by germs but for some reason Spielberg felt it necessary for the staggering tripod to be brought down by a missile from some marines. It kind of spoils the point made at the end of the story and was presumably inserted so that dumb red necks in the audience could have their fist pumping moment.

In teh novel HMS Thunderchild destroys a couple of tripods. The marine missile is just a modernised version of this as the film is set in the present day.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Thunder child was half way through the book and was subsequently defeated / sunk / disappeared into a fog bank. The Thunderchild episode in the 50’s film was the neuclear bomb, and in the latest film was the smart missile attack mostly hidden over the brow of the hill, both failed. The marines with a rocket launcher was at the end of the film and a totally different part of the narrative.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Whippet wrote:Thunder child was half way through the book and was subsequently defeated / sunk / disappeared into a fog bank. The Thunderchild episode in the 50’s film was the neuclear bomb, and in the latest film was the smart missile attack mostly hidden over the brow of the hill, both failed. The marines with a rocket launcher was at the end of the film and a totally different part of the narrative.

Not having seen either film I'll have to take your word for that. Were the marines on a ship when they fired the missile? I guess if there was such an invasion and with their fighting history the Royal Marines wouldn't stand idly by and do nothing.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Contact with Jodie Foster. So she gets to meet aliens for the first time, after being dropped thru some thing or other but it is cut short after just a few minutes on the beach chatting to an image of her dad was it , as thats the way it has been done for millenia She should have told him well not to bother in future?