He wasn't in a Wange Wover

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
atlas_shrugged

He wasn't in a Wange Wover

Post by atlas_shrugged »

There are so many angles to this:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ldren.html

The video shows a cyclist being harassed by someone dressed in Police uniform. The issue appears to be the cyclist wearing a mask near a school. The cyclist who is reportedly picking his child up does not back down.

I have been wearing a black neck warmer recently when I cycle because it has got cold. So I guess I am up for the same treatment. On the other hand cyclists in this area have been violently attacked and hospitalised on cycle ways. Once the police on an emergency 999 call are told that the attackers are no longer in sight then the police have no further interest.
cyclemad

Re: He wasn't in a Wange Wover

Post by cyclemad »

the cyclist is being an **** ....no excuse for his actions. He was requested to remove his mask by teaching staff AND the police officer as his actions were causing concern to staff and pupils.

There is no power to request removal on this occasion but his actions were causing a breach of the peace and so could have been arrested.

I would have suggested that on the next day a section 60 public order act be invoked which then gives powers to request removal of masks etc and failure to do so would result in arrest .

He claims to be at the schools to collect a member of his family and could have simply removed the mask, identified himself and reassured both staff,pupils and police that his actions were purely innocent.

I haven't watched the entire video as it is just purely sensationalism journalism again.
Last edited by cyclemad on 5 Dec 2018, 8:36pm, edited 2 times in total.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The filmer is being a complete and utter prat. However, we do not know what has gone before with his interactions with the headmistress to cause him to react this way. I very very much doubt any child was alarmed in any way, just oversensitive headteacher looking to be offended by something.
hondated

Post by hondated »

cyclemad wrote:the cyclist is being an **** ....no excuse for his actions. He was requested to remove his mask by teaching staff AND the police officer as his actions were causing concern to staff and pupils.

There is no power to request removal on this occasion but his actions were causing a breach of the peace and so could have been arrested.

I would have suggested that on the next day a section 60 public order act be invoked which then gives powers to request removal of masks etc and failure to do so would result in arrest .

He claims to be at the schools to collect a member of his family and could have simply removed the mask, identified himself and reassured both staff,pupils and police that his actions were purely innocent.

I haven't watched the entire video as it is just purely sensationalism journalism again.

Thanks cyclemad I agree with every word you have written. What a total idiot this bloke was.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Move along, nothing to see here, Daily Mail clickbait.
mjr

Post by mjr »

cyclemad wrote:the cyclist is being an **** ....no excuse for his actions. He was requested to remove his mask by teaching staff AND the police officer as his actions were causing concern to staff and pupils.

What were these actions? The Daily Heil is blocked here. Was it simply wearing a balaclava, buff or similar to keep the cold out? Has the school drive become so near-universal that merely wearing outdoor clothes to take children to/from school by bike is regarded as cause for concern?

What was the mask, for that matter? I wear a firey skull buff in spring/autumn, hoping it might unsettle some drivers and make them think twice about confronting me, but I'd probably switch to another design for visiting schools!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Answering myself now I've found the video on youtube. If it's like the young rider pictured (I guess his son - I've not watched it all yet) then it's a simple black fleece buff-like neck tube. The videoer is a bit aggressive and edgey but this looks like it's already escalated enough for him to turn his camera on when seeing a police officer approach... not Norfolk Constabulary's finest moments IMO :-(

[youtube]UGvEX4Y1UGg[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGvEX4Y1UGg
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The mask/buff/ balaclava or what ever it is not the issue, it is the nature of the masks detail. Seems that it is scaring the children (so say's HM) probably one with graphic's like a skull/jaw bone type. In the background is a kid with buff/balaclava and no one is asking him to remove it, so bloke must have one that is perceived offensive or scary.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

mjr wrote:

What were these actions? The Daily Heil is blocked here. Was it simply wearing a balaclava, buff or similar to keep the cold out? Has the school drive become so near-universal that merely wearing outdoor clothes to take children to/from school by bike is regarded as cause for concern?

What was the mask, for that matter? I wear a firey skull buff in spring/autumn, hoping it might unsettle some drivers and make them think twice about confronting me, but I'd probably switch to another design for visiting schools!

By wearing such a design of mask / balaclava which caused the school staff and pupils to be disturbed and his failure to remove himself from the area in front of the school and failure to remove it even when this had been brought to his attention by the teacher and then police officer he still failed to remove it. His conduct was then causing a breach of the peace .
All he had to do was to remove the facemask...which would have been so easy to do but he chose not to.
The police have several options: to try to resolve the situation without using one of their common law powers. The officer ( and the teacher ) asked several times for the male to remove his facemask as his presence and the wearing of the mask near to the entrance of the school was causing alarm and distress.

The police can arrest and detain anyone who is committing, or they have reasonable cause to believe is about to commit, a breach of the peace.
The correct definition for breach of the peace is that which was given in the case R v. Howell (1981), ie, that the behaviour of the person involved caused the police officer (or private citizen) to believe that:

a breach of the peace had or would occur; and that
it related to harm which was actually done or likely to be done to a person or, in his/her presence, their property.

In this era of terrorist activity, safeguarding of young persons you need to ask yourselves. If a male who was not known to me to and was not initially known to the school turned up at the gates of my child schools wearing a balaclava mask / face mask which caused my child and their friends distress would I be ok with not challenging that person ?
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

atlas_shrugged wrote:There are so many angles to this:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ldren.html

The video shows a cyclist being harassed by someone dressed in Police uniform. The issue appears to be the cyclist wearing a mask near a school. The cyclist who is reportedly picking his child up does not back down.

I have been wearing a black neck warmer recently when I cycle because it has got cold. So I guess I am up for the same treatment. On the other hand cyclists in this area have been violently attacked and hospitalised on cycle ways. Once the police on an emergency 999 call are told that the attackers are no longer in sight then the police have no further interest.

a cyclist being harassed by someone dressed in a Police Uniform?.....Thats what you really think?

that big nasty fascist police state bully boy picking on a poor innocent cyclist ??

wake up!
mjr

Post by mjr »

hemo wrote:The mask/buff/ balaclava or what ever it is not the issue, it is the nature of the masks detail. Seems that it is scaring the children (so say's HM) probably one with graphic's like a skull/jaw bone type. In the background is a kid with buff/balaclava and no one is asking him to remove it, so bloke must have one that is perceived offensive or scary.

According to the pinned comment under the video, the kid has also been told he is not allowed to wear it in future, so I don't think the above reasoning holds.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

mjr wrote:Answering myself now I've found the video on youtube. If it's like the young rider pictured (I guess his son - I've not watched it all yet) then it's a simple black fleece buff-like neck tube. The videoer is a bit aggressive and edgey but this looks like it's already escalated enough for him to turn his camera on when seeing a police officer approach... not Norfolk Constabulary's finest moments IMO :-(

I think the PC acts professionally. Patiently even.
He is there at the request of the Headmistress(as I understand it).
I think the cyclist is a boorish fool.
mjr

Post by mjr »

cyclemad wrote:All he had to do was to remove the facemask...which would have been so easy to do but he chose not to.

I'm not sure I'd comply with the police if they told me to start removing clothing on a cold day either! Is refusing to comply with such an instruction to undress really a breach of the piece?

In this era of terrorist activity, safeguarding of young persons you need to ask yourselves. If a male who was not known to me to and was not initially known to the school turned up at the gates of my child schools wearing a balaclava mask / face mask which caused my child and their friends distress would I be ok with not challenging that person ?

Challenge OK, but order to remove clothing? Not OK.

It's a parent, known to the school. He's posted another video saying he's been wearing this mask the last 3 winters too and with pictures of it. It's a plain blue mask, of a type often worn by cyclists and motorcyclists.
[youtube]lTRfZn3MI00 [/youtube]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lTRfZn3MI00
mjr

Post by mjr »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I think the PC acts professionally. Patiently even.
He is there at the request of the Headmistress(as I understand it).
I think the cyclist is a boorish fool.

So repeatedly invading the cyclist's personal space is OK by you?

Cyclist is niggly and yes, arguably a little foolish, but should one really have to suffer a cold face if you cycle to collect a child instead of driving, like whoever's in the car parked on the pavement with its engine idling at the end of the first vid?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

All it needs is just a little politeness.
It goes such a long way.
A forgotton art?

Why antagonize school staff?
By any measure, but esp for the pupil, it's nuts.

My guess is that there are other issues here.

I think the cyclist is a boorish fool, probably having a bad day but still a boorish fool.