How can I add a throttle to my ebike (PAS only)?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
mozomu

How can I add a throttle to my ebike (PAS only)?

Post by mozomu »

Hello

I need some help please. I have an ebike, which I bought about 18 months ago. It comes with a restricted PAS system and no throttle. I am actually okay with its restricted speed 15.5 mph, but on the odd occasion when I am on private land I would also like to have a throttle on it without any pedalling needed.

I just recently had its controller replaced (faulty cut out issues) and managed to take some photos of the old controller. In the photo there is a small black connector with 4 wires (red, white, orange, black), which actually has nothing connected to it when it’s mounted with the controller in the battery holder. To be honest, I am guessing here, but I think that black connector is there for a throttle to be connected to it.

The trouble I am having here is the thumb throttles (with no display) that I am finding online come with 3 wires (positive, negative and signal), which I understand will be okay for a basic throttle. What’s confusing me is the small black connector on the controller comes with 4 wires and I am assuming that the 4th(orange?) wire is for a throttle that has a display section on it.

If this makes any sense to somebody, please help.

1543594325534d.jpeg
Oldjohnw

Re: How can I add a throttle to my ebike (PAS only)?

Post by Oldjohnw »

I cannot help with the technicalities of this problem, but I thought you could use a throttle on public roads subject to the normal speed restrictions for electric bikes. I certainly do for brief moments in hills to maintain momentum but give me a short rest.
John
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

mozomu

Post by mozomu »

yakdiver wrote:What about this one 4 wires
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-E-Bike ... :rk:1:pf:0

Thank you for recommending that throttle. :) I think I will get one of those then, but I will only start mucking about with it in about 6 months when the ebikes warranty runs out. Just thought I would do my research now and get ready for it by then.
mozomu

Post by mozomu »

Oldjohnw wrote:I cannot help with the technicalities of this problem, but I thought you could use a throttle on public roads subject to the normal speed restrictions for electric bikes. I certainly do for brief moments in hills to maintain momentum but give me a short rest.

In the UK the restrictions are up to 15.5mph on PAS, but on the throttle only up to 4mph is allowed. Silly old laws that are related to the mobility scooters. And they wont be changing soon.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

mozomu wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I cannot help with the technicalities of this problem, but I thought you could use a throttle on public roads subject to the normal speed restrictions for electric bikes. I certainly do for brief moments in hills to maintain momentum but give me a short rest.

In the UK the restrictions are up to 15.5mph on PAS, but on the throttle only up to 4mph is allowed. Silly old laws that are related to the mobility scooters. And they wont be changing soon.

Agreed
From January 1 2016 no throttle, but if the said machine is older than that date “granddad rules” come in to play and you can use it........so yours is older :wink:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Thanks for this gem. Mine was retro fitted last year although my bike is much older. I would hardl ever use the throttle at such a low speed. I have very occasionally used it for a standing start at traffic lights. Mostly I would already be at about 8mph on a hill and needed to stop pedalling for a few moments just to rest my muscles without stopping.

Thanks, though for the information. I cannot imagine it will make any difference to me apart from whom I tell.
John
stodd

Post by stodd »

From January 1 2016 no throttle, but if the said machine is older than that date “granddad rules” come in to play and you can use it........so yours is older

A bit confused here, as original post said bike 18 months old, eg post Jan 16.

For conversions the granddad rules: it seems to be ambiguous as to whether they apply to the age of the bike or the age of the conversion. I've seen convincing cases made both ways.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Coming from a slightly different angle, I was under the impression that the throttle rule applied to purpose built/bought bikes! Retrofit kits fitted to existing bikes can have a throttle, well, our four do :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mozomu

Post by mozomu »

stodd wrote:
From January 1 2016 no throttle, but if the said machine is older than that date “granddad rules” come in to play and you can use it........so yours is older

A bit confused here, as original post said bike 18 months old, eg post Jan 16.

For conversions the granddad rules: it seems to be ambiguous as to whether they apply to the age of the bike or the age of the conversion. I've seen convincing cases made both ways.

Hi stodd, when yakdiver made that comment about the granddad rules, he wasn't referring to my bike, he was just making an interesting comment about the granddad rules. And on that odd occasion when I am on "private" land using the throttle and if I ever do get asked that question by someone, how would they know how old my bike really is. :wink:
hemo

Post by hemo »

As long as long as you are pedalling no one will probably say or do much about you using a throttle, the likely chance of being stopped is if you are seen riding along without pedal power.
hemo

Post by hemo »

mozomu wrote:Hello

I need some help please. I have an ebike, which I bought about 18 months ago. It comes with a restricted PAS system and no throttle. I am actually okay with its restricted speed 15.5 mph, but on the odd occasion when I am on private land I would also like to have a throttle on it without any pedalling needed.

I just recently had its controller replaced (faulty cut out issues) and managed to take some photos of the old controller. In the photo there is a small black connector with 4 wires (red, white, orange, black), which actually has nothing connected to it when it’s mounted with the controller in the battery holder. To be honest, I am guessing here, but I think that black connector is there for a throttle to be connected to it.

The trouble I am having here is the thumb throttles (with no display) that I am finding online come with 3 wires (positive, negative and signal), which I understand will be okay for a basic throttle. What’s confusing me is the small black connector on the controller comes with 4 wires and I am assuming that the 4th(orange?) wire is for a throttle that has a display section on it.

If this makes any sense to somebody, please help.

1543594325534d.jpeg

If indeed it is a throttle connector then,
Black is v- Gnd.
Red is v+ supply.
White is signal.
Orange for voltage display if throttle has one.
stodd

Post by stodd »

I think the most likely reason to fall foul of the throttle rules is if you have an accident.

I still haven't got round to removing the (probably legal) throttle from our tandem but I think I will; we never use it.
I have seen it suggested that the throttle is the most sensitive part to heavy raid, but it looks fairly well designed for that to me,
(I must get round to changing the brake pads too; we do use the brakes sometimes.)
mozomu

Post by mozomu »

hemo wrote:If indeed it is a throttle connector then,
Black is v- Gnd.
Red is v+ supply.
White is signal.
Orange for voltage display if throttle has one.

Yep, but if it's not a throttle connector, I have a second guess to try out and that is to add a splitter onto the PAS connector and then connect both the throttle and the PAS to it. But I can also see that possibly confusing the controller. So, only time will tell when I start experimenting with it.

1543594325534e.jpeg

To be honest I actually enjoy using the PAS, even with its restriction of 15.5mph. But on the very rare occasion when I need to get from A to B without breaking a drop of sweat, it will be a nice option to have the throttle there, but keep the feet moving so it doesn't become blatantly obvious.
stodd

Post by stodd »

One thing I like about our simple system on the tandem (power is generated if pedal rotation is sensed, regardless of speed or our force/torque) over our Bosch mid drive solo (motor multiplies the amount of effort put in) is that on the tandem we can just pedal very slowly (not pushing at all) and have the motor do all the work. The higher the PAS setting the more work that will be. That almost gets rid of the value of the throttle except at startup; where we need around 1/2 turn on the pedals before assist kicks in. Using the walk assist might help there; or an on/off pedal pressure sensor.

Certainly other benefits to the mid-drive, especially that the motor drives through the gears which helps on hills.