This Facebook page needs to be taken down...

Cunobelin

This Facebook page needs to be taken down...

Post by Cunobelin »

There is a site on Facebook specifically set up to abuse cyclists, in particular velomobiles.

It needs taking down... a few dozen complaints about hate speech and harassment should do it.
MikeF

Re: This page needs to be taken down...

Post by MikeF »

If you don't have a Facebook account there doesn't seem to be a way of complaining. Something that urgently needs rectifying or if there is away it needs being made obvious.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Reported as breaching Community Standards and as hate speech. It's about motorists reporting a velomobile rider and its lead image is of a driver sticking a middle finger up at the yellow velomobile that's the object of his/her hatred.

I think he / she is playing smart by not personally making hate speech type comments just posting videos of this yellow velomobile as he kind of stalks the rider. I doubt it'll get taken down.

Please keep us informed if it goes down. I don't use Facebook at all normally so unlikely to look to see if this is down or not but I'd be interested to find out.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Reported for hate speech and for threatened violence. The disgusting thing is that hate speech and verbalised violence against people on bikes is all too common and even in msm by contributors to the columns are able to get away with such. It's a disgrace and should be reported to police whenever it happens. As I've said elsewhere, you replace the word 'cyclist' with any number of outgroups or derogatory descriptions of such and you'd be getting a knock on the door, that people on bikes are regularly assaulted, injured and killed due in part to this hate speech should mean it is treated no differently to any other type of hate speech. But it won't, because 'cyclists' simply deserve it and even plod and judges mete out special justice no-one else seems to 'enjoy' both when cyclists are victims and when they are the accused. :twisted:
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 4 Dec 2018, 11:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

So reported for abusive behaviour and transient assault .. Offences that have been on the statute books for over 50 years ..... Explain what "hate speech" is please .... Must have missed that chapter of 1984 ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

What I find ironic is that all the videos are recorded by the driver on a mobile phone!!!!!

Unfortunately the Police cannot act without vehicle details and a statement
The utility cyclist

landsurfer wrote:So reported for abusive behaviour and transient assault .. Offences that have been on the statute books for over 50 years ..... Explain what "hate speech" is please .... Must have missed that chapter of 1984 ...

I don't know what the actual definition is but certain language and words spoken and in a certain manner can and does have a huge negative impact on some people's well being/safety.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The utility cyclist wrote:
landsurfer wrote:So reported for abusive behaviour and transient assault .. Offences that have been on the statute books for over 50 years ..... Explain what "hate speech" is please .... Must have missed that chapter of 1984 ...

I don't know what the actual definition is but certain language and words spoken and in a certain manner can and does have a huge negative impact on some people's well being/safety.

Very true, but all the laws we need are already in place. We don't need to invent more law, just use the law we have.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

landsurfer wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:

Very true, but all the laws we need are already in place. We don't need to invent more law, just use the law we have.

....using the police we don't have? And the justice system that's in meltdown?

I agree that there are plenty of laws that could be employed to deal with all sorts of continuous crime, particularly that relating to motorists and their lethal or highly damaging behaviours. But this is now hard to do as a certain PM has spent a goodly part of her life destroying the police service and the criminal justice system.

She's gone up a few notched in her "destroy it" compulsion, just lately. Now she's after degrading the whole country.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cunobelin wrote:There is a site on Facebook specifically set up to abuse cyclists, in particular velomobiles.

It needs taking down... a few dozen complaints about hate speech and harassment should do it.

The downside of a post like this is I’ve no doubt it’s encouraged lots of clickers to his page( yes I’m guilty too) inflating his ego with viewer numbers.
The technique used on Twitter is to post a picture of the offensive person/post ( name and content) for all to see without the offender gleaning fame.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Wow that is real vitriol. Should I start hating white van man in response? I guess that is what Fakebook wants. Set one against the other and that is good for business.

Presumably a conventional cyclist gets the same treatment as they take up the same road space as a velomobile but travel (on average) slightly slower.

The only solution I see is grade segregation for cyclists, or give up on cycling as a method of transport in order to placate white van man.

Who is it who benefits from not switching to sustainable transport?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

atlas_shrugged wrote:
The only solution I see is grade segregation for cyclists, or give up on cycling as a method of transport in order to placate white van man.

Who is it who benefits from not switching to sustainable transport?

How about segregation for motorists - make them use the motorway! - how they get there is their business :lol:
I'm hoping that if e-bikes become more popular we'll see these being used by lots of commuters (who wouldn't otherwise cycle) and the roads will be taken over by 2 wheels! I can hope.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Screenshot_20181205-114152_Facebook.jpg
The utility cyclist

Re: This Facebook page needs to be taken down...

As above, same response for me, FB don't give a stuff, despite it flying in the face of their own stand point on this https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook ... 0655911054
Cyril Haearn

Re: This Facebook page needs to be taken down...

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'Talk to someone' :?

That could help mind, if one rarely talks to people and spends too much time on farcebook
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies