What colour for my tourer upgrade & other bits

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: What colour for my tourer upgrade & other bits

Post by Brucey »

IIRC OP has specifically asked that they is not advised that the repair/refurb is uneconomic etc...

BTW 501 tubing is/was (as Peetee says) comparable with a lot of other DB CrMo tubing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whoof

Post by whoof »

Brucey wrote:IIRC OP has specifically asked that they is not advised that the repair/refurb is uneconomic etc...

cheers

Welcome to the forum.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Hello there! I always love reading about people who keep their old & much loved bicycles going! If the frame is already going under the wielding torch, have you considered getting a rear disc brake mount & associated drop out strengthening for the frame? That way you can use a disc brake at the rear, which should work better than the cantilever brakes you have at the moment. Admittedly you'd need a new rear wheel, but you may save money on wheel rim wear :-)
(Not sure about using a front disc though, as you need super strong forks to resist the braking forces, so you may be better off with a rim brake at the front) Don't forget to post pictures of your finished bicycle :)
David9694

Post by David9694 »

My bike knows every word you say. He’s good boy isn’t, isn’t he? I think that’s equally daft in relation to a bike as it is to a pet. So now you’ve got me defending the OP, who I was somewhat critical of a day or so ago. It’s nice that you’ve had positive experiences with people - that ain’t always the way.

I still think the OP could get more bang for his buck, by going another way. But if a bike has stayed with you through thick and thin, not let you down when others have, returned your affection unconditionally it’s hard ever to say goodbye.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
PSAS

Post by PSAS »

Thanks for all your thoughts and input.
BRG it is with white/cream, I have thought or a really understated lighter BRG but perhaps that will be so understated as to be invisible, I did look at various blues which could be very nice but prefer green as a colour. Thanks for the advice. not much love out there for my extrovert purple...
As for the Canti's I think I will start by different bracket and lower straddle - might get a Velo Orange. TBH adjusting the Canti's is something I have never really mastered - not helped by the Dawes handbook adjustment advice saying don't attempt this and take to LBS. Not sure that some of the LBS's I have been to have done any better than me. My dissatisfaction predates the STIs, which are relatively recent.
The top tube will be 631. I will achieve a weight gain of a magnificent 150-200 gms so I will be flying along. I will be keeping the internal cable routing but am having work done to stop the water ingress issue – let us hope this means the tube does not need replacing in another 20 years.
Brucey - on the Velo Orange is there a recommendation on the specific brakes to get. Grande Cru Zest looks like that is this is the most likely to improve things, at a cost.
The other thing I am giving a bit of thought to is a new crankset - this is needed. I think my choice is limited - 9 speed triple. Any alternatives to Sora 9 speed?
Thanks very much so far and look forward to more advice. Will post up pic when done - will be few months.

Off topic (for those that do not agree with me, this is perfectly fine but not that desperate to hear from you further):
I repeat 'I am not interested in knowing that I might be better off buying another bike/frame':
The two reason for my doing this is to learn about my bike - stripping and reassembly and also 'green' , ie. use what I already have - I fully accept that the bike is a little bit like triggers broom, but I think the point still holds. And it is the bicycle I cycled to both my children's birth on and carted them around in before they could refuse my cycle 'invites'. I also feel the frame has adjusted to me...
I would only add the uneconomic 501 gas pipe tubing has taken me well over 40,000 miles over the past 20 years, albeit not at 'Strava' speed.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

re the brakes; I'd try setting the arms wider and the straddles lower first of all, because it is not expensive or difficult to do. The VO brakes are one of just a few cantis that offer much higher MA that matches modern levers better. They also will vary in MA depending on how they are set up. You can spend a lot more on some other brakes, BTW.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Spa triple?
Strong light triple?
Is it a square bottom bracket or Shimano octalink?
Do you need to replace shifters too? if new then sora are 9 speed. Claris 8 speed and tiagra 10spd.

Cheers James
PSAS

Post by PSAS »

Thanks again:
I am thinking I will try the VO brakes. Look forward to setting up...
I will also investigate Spa/Strong light triple?
Bottom bracket = Shimano octalink I think
Do not intend to change shifters.
I have asked at couple of bikeshops and online and to a man they say I will lose out from not having Shimano - less smooth gear changes/lower quality. They have obviously not seen some of my gear changes, but is there anything in this really? I am inclined to think not.
hondated

Post by hondated »

[quote="cycle tramp"] Don't forget to post pictures of your finished bicycle :)[/quote
Arrrh you've struck a nerve with me there. Clearly someone like me who likes photographs of bikes.
Me thinks time for a new thread :lol:
PSAS

Post by PSAS »

The bicycle went into the workshop before Christmas.....
PSAS

Post by PSAS »

Thanks for all the advice and sorry for slow posting - work took much longer than anticipated and I have spent several months recovering from op. Enjoyed the whole thing, building and researching/choosing etc.

I had problems with Bob Jackson cycles - I would not recommend. Seemed to do good job on internal cabling work though.
In the end I went black/green. I now have a Tiagra groupset (10 speed) sort of with a 105 triple. I am finding my choices limited in terms of gear.
Would like brown hoods and then go for brown handlebar tape. But cannot find hoods - anyone know better?
Went for VO Cantis and these are a marked improvement on what was there before.
Not pictured but now fitted black mudguards and rack.
Off to Cornwall for winter tour soon.

Pic here https://PSHSAN.de.quickconnect.to/mo/sharing/Wk23akkat
horizon

Post by horizon »

Great! Thanks for the picture. Building or renovating a bike isn't for everyone (they just want to get on and ride) but it's an amazing experience.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Nice pic, nice bike. My Evans used to be that green with contrasting purple seat and head tube (Wimbledon tennis club colours gave me the idea)
now in Pullman "Wagon Lits" colours

I can only see one pic though. We're there more?Also, straddle cables are still very high. Is the braking ok?
PSAS

Post by PSAS »

Thanks chaps. I have been managing to keep a bit of cycling going while bike build going on. As I was unable to cycle for fair number of months fettling & working on bike seemed a good use of time!
Yes the straddle cables do seem high but working quite nicely. I had the bike given a service by my LBS (Rileys in Sherborne) just now and they seem happy - I have a high degree of confidence in them.
I will look up some more pics and post them after a cycle tom...
drossall

Post by drossall »

PSAS wrote:Would like brown hoods and then go for brown handlebar tape. But cannot find hoods - anyone know better?

You didn't say for what levers. Looking at your picture, some kind of STI?

SJS have the best range of hoods I know of. They list Hudz ones for STIs, but not in brown. Condor have those for at least 7900s. Hope that gives you a start, anyway.