FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by Mick F »

Not tongue in cheek at all.
Did you read the Wiki page I linked?
Mick F. Cornwall
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Mick F wrote:Not tongue in cheek at all.
Did you read the Wiki page I linked?

The Wikipage won't make the film any better :roll: I take everything posted on Wikipedia with a pinch of salt.
It's still a terrible film.I can't think of a single film with Geena Davies that is any good.Susan Sarandon was obviously just in it for the pay cheque :|
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I liked Thelma & Louise.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, we liked it too.
I'd watch it again fairly soon. Some of the speech was too quick and indistinct, so a re-watch would be good.

Not many films that have so many accolades.
Read the Wik page - pinch of salt maybe - but (factually) how many wins and nominations was it?
Not surprised in the slightest.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:Yes, we liked it too.
I'd watch it again fairly soon. Some of the speech was too quick and indistinct, so a re-watch would be good.

Read the Wik page - pinch of salt maybe - but (factually) how many wins and nominations was it

Watched in 1991, can remember it still +1?
At the end they drove off the rim of the Grand Canyon :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

"Les Triplettes de Belleville";a brilliant,amusing,inventive animation with France and cycling at its heart.I found a full length(1hr20mins) version on youtube.Don,t miss this.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:At the end they drove off the rim of the Grand Canyon :(

They could've saved a hell of a lot of time and money and just done that at the beginning and rolled the credits :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Read the Wik page - pinch of salt maybe - but (factually) how many wins and nominations was it?

Maybe American films should be subtitled, or perhaps people just spoke quite differently 27 years ago :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Went to see The Old Man and the Gun,Robert Redford's final film with Sissy Spacek in support.Good acting,not his best film,but worth watching.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'M' (1931) starring Peter Lorre.

After giving 'Metropolis' a whirl I grabbed the 2003 restoration of Fritz Lang's 'M' off eBay and finally got around to watching it this afternoon. Set in a German city it tells the tale of a serial child murderer and the manhunt that sees criminals and beggars working together. Thankfully, only one murder is shown and this is skilfully done with the simple imagery of the girl's ball bouncing away and her clown balloon floating away (Hollywood please take note). This was Fritz Lang's first 'talkie' and there is some hammy 'silent movie' style acting from some of the cast. However, Peter Lorre is superb.

The film is superbly shot and includes one amazing continuous shot with the camera moving in and then moving up and into various rooms. This version is almost square format (slightly less than 1:1.2) and the sound is really good for a 1931 film. I've watched the little documentary on the restoration and the before and after comparisons are startling. The Wiki page hints at a more recent restoration (the 2013 release) but I'm wondering if it's the same as this one. There's a second disc of extras for me to get through and tackling the extra's is a sure sign that I've enjoyed a film! Overall 8/10.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Maybe American films should be subtitled, or perhaps people just spoke quite differently 27 years ago :wink:

On digital versions, you can usually turn the subtitles on & off.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cold War, set in Poland and elsewhere after 1949
The Grauniad put it in the top 50
In black and white with lovely authentic folk music, in Polish, French, German with subtitles
Thinking of watching it a third time, either that or the return of Marys Pop-in :wink:
peetee

Post by peetee »

Amelie. Quite simply brilliant and the most beautiful heartwarming movie I have ever seen and my fave movie ever.

Kung Fu Hustle. Funny, artfully filmed and very entertaining. It has it's violent movements but not excessive or gory.

My two family faves are It's a Wonderful Life and The Railway Children. These and Amelie are the only movies that can bring a tear to my eye.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what do people here think of La La Land? I have ordered a cheap blu ray copy ( new £4 ) from Ebay as I seem to remember it got good reviews.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Hell or High Water. An absolute gem that somehow stayed below the radar. It's on Flillum4 tonight at 2250 Zulu if anyone fancies a good movie.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.