How can I add a throttle to my ebike (PAS only)?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
mozomu

Re: How can I add a throttle to my ebike (PAS only)?

Post by mozomu »

stodd wrote:One thing I like about our simple system on the tandem (power is generated if pedal rotation is sensed, regardless of speed or our force/torque) over our Bosch mid drive solo (motor multiplies the amount of effort put in) is that on the tandem we can just pedal very slowly (not pushing at all) and have the motor do all the work. The higher the PAS setting the more work that will be. That almost gets rid of the value of the throttle except at startup; where we need around 1/2 turn on the pedals before assist kicks in. Using the walk assist might help there; or an on/off pedal pressure sensor.

Certainly other benefits to the mid-drive, especially that the motor drives through the gears which helps on hills.

My ebike is a carrera vulcan-e with a Suntour system and I've had someone respond to me on another forum that they have replaced their Suntour controller with another make from China. I don't think I will be going that far with it, but I've had enough responses now to understand that it is possible to add a throttle to it. :D I will just have to do a bit of experimenting with the spare black connector and the white PAS connector when my throttle arrives in the post ...and when my warranty runs out in June. :wink:
hemo

Post by hemo »

Spare white connector wires colours please esp if it is only 3 wires, most common thumb and twist throttles only use 3 wires.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Spare white connector wires colours please esp if it is only 3 wires (can't tell properly from your pic), most common thumb and twist throttles only use 3 wires.
The white connector if only 3 wires is more likley to be for throttle then the 4 wire black one.
mozomu

Post by mozomu »

hemo wrote:Spare white connector wires colours please esp if it is only 3 wires (can't tell properly from your pic), most common thumb and twist throttles only use 3 wires.
The white connector if only 3 wires is more likley to be for throttle then the 4 wire black one.

The controller in the picture is the old controller that was removed from the ebike. The only spare connector it has is the black connector. That white connector with 3 wires connects to the PAS.

The throttle that I have ordered has 4 wires (1 for its LCD screen). I will be trying it on the black connector first, but if it fails, I will then experiment with splitting the white PAS connector to take both the PAS and the throttle (ignoring the LCD). But if that confuses the controller, I will then try to connect only the throttle to the PAS connector and see if that works on its own, but then I will have no PAS (but a manually controlled PAS instead).

I will be waiting 6 months (warranty) before I get started on this. If anybody has already found the solution to this Suntour controller system on the Carrera Vulcan-e and reveals the truth here on this mystery, thank you in advance.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Mozmou thanks for clarifying re connectors, I misread your post.

Pas connector won't work with a throttle, the software somehow for pas connections expects to see the magnets pole count.
Throttle usually only has one magnet on /off as it comes in range with the hall sensor.
mozomu

Post by mozomu »

hemo wrote:Mozmou thanks for clarifying re connectors, I misread your post.

Pas connector won't work with a throttle, the software somehow for pas connections expects to see the magnets pole count.
Throttle usually only has one magnet on /off as it comes in range with the hall sensor.

hemo, thank you for your advice. I didn't think of the magnets, but I can now see that being an issue, so I will be leaving that white PAS connector alone.

Along with your advice on the magnets and having found this webpage https://lazylegs.co.uk/index.php?id_product=9&controller=product, I am now starting to become more convinced that the black connector must be there for the throttle. The kit on lazylegs includes a throttle, plug and play connectors and installation instructions for anyone without any technical skills to just simply plug it in and play it in about 10 minutes without having to do any technical DIY work on it.

Vulcan Throttle Kit includes
- Universal non-handed thumb throttle
- Plug and play connectors
- T...
- Installation instructions
- F...

To be honest this will be a first for me in mucking about with removing and recrimping the wires to new connectors. The tools and connectors were already ordered before finding this website https://lazylegs.co.uk, so I will just have a bit of faith in myself and spend well over an hour in setting it up. If anyone else is reading this with the same interest and lack of technical DIY skills as me and are hesitant in doing it yourself, then it might be worth visiting lazylegs instead.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The lazy legs website appeared on pedelecs a good many months ago ( more then 6 ) and at first he had a few throttles but since then the web site has always shown out of stock for all four bikes. And at £99 a very expensive added extra for a basic £8 thumb throttle and a few wires.
mozomu

Post by mozomu »

hemo wrote:The lazy legs website appeared on pedelecs a good many months ago ( more then 6 ) and at first he had a few throttles but since then the web site has always shown out of stock for all four bikes. And at £99 a very expensive added extra for a basic £8 thumb throttle and a few wires.

Yep, £99 :shock:. I think I would have just carried on with the research in doing it myself anyway.
cyclingfrogs

Post by cyclingfrogs »

There seems to be a lot of confusion over the law relating to throttles on road legal e-bikes. So I asked the Dept for Transport. They said 'definitely, as long as the bike is type approved'. There is no disadvantage to throttles; they only make riding safer, whether on off-road tracks or in urban traffic, particularly for disabled people like me with very little strength.