** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
roubaixtuesday

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by roubaixtuesday »

...would immediately 'correct' my metric units into imperial.

I was once required to report water flow rates for a US project in "Acre feet per year"

I thought they were winding me up, but no, this was genuinely their standard unit.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Have ye no scruples, man? And no rods, poles, perches, furlongs, pennyweights, drams nor firkins, neither? :lol:

I have indeed got a firkin. Picked it up today from my mate's brewery for a party at the weekend.

How many miles did you travel to fetch it!?
A sort of of alternative MPG.

Well none really because I was going past there anyway - but about 18 so 2 mpg.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:I worked for a USA-based multinational company. It used to irritate me no end, when some visiting American colleague (especially if from the 'management' tier), visiting our facility here in the UK and asking me for some technical briefing on the work I was engaged in, would immediately 'correct' my metric units into imperial. I mean - everyone in Science, Technology and Engineering understands metric - so why muddy the waters?

But then again - there's a lot of nonsensical stuff Across the Pond - as we can all see only too well. Try buying petrol (sorry: "gasoline") in litres over there...

Try buying gasoline in gallons over there and they're smaller than UK gallons, same as USA 26" wheels are smaller than UK ones. It's a myth that everything's bigger in the USA. I don't understand why Leavers are so keen to ingratiate ourselves by adopting USA-style blue passports.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I worked for a USA-based multinational company. It used to irritate me no end, when some visiting American colleague (especially if from the 'management' tier), visiting our facility here in the UK and asking me for some technical briefing on the work I was engaged in, would immediately 'correct' my metric units into imperial. I mean - everyone in Science, Technology and Engineering understands metric - so why muddy the waters?

But then again - there's a lot of nonsensical stuff Across the Pond - as we can all see only too well. Try buying petrol (sorry: "gasoline") in litres over there...

Try buying gasoline in gallons over there and they're smaller than UK gallons, same as USA 26" wheels are smaller than UK ones. It's a myth that everything's bigger in the USA. I don't understand why Leavers are so keen to ingratiate ourselves by adopting USA-style blue passports.

And a pint - 16 fluid oz whereas the UK's is 20.
To answer your question it's for the same reason a playground bully has sycophants.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pete75 wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
pete75 wrote:
I have indeed got a firkin. Picked it up today from my mate's brewery for a party at the weekend.

:D
Must be something special!

(I tried to be clever and find an alcohol content expressed in imperial but failed. :shock:

There may or may not be something significant in this!)
1066enthalpies1939

Post by 1066enthalpies1939 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
pete75 wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:

(I tried to be clever and find an alcohol content expressed in imperial but failed. :shock:

This may help?

https://www.etoolsage.com/converter/Alc ... 29&Result=

https://www.disabled-world.com/calculat ... perial.php
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

geocycle wrote:Another day and it doesn’t get any better. At least the news that the new science minister, who has a history degree and a dodgy past that involved writing songs about his willy, will fit in well in the cabinet.

I'm reminded of a letter in New Scientist back when the National Curriculum was young, pointing out that the history syllabus, with its emphasis on gathering data and weighing up evidence, was far more scientific than the "learn it for the exam" science syllabus. So maybe not such a surprise - though the idea that anyone in government understands history may be surprising in itself.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

1066enthalpies1939 wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
pete75 wrote:

This may help?

https://www.etoolsage.com/converter/Alc ... 29&Result=

https://www.disabled-world.com/calculat ... perial.php

Ah yes I have it.
Headbangs per pint- that's Imperial (and global).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

hmm nonsense from Mrs May?

"The backstop is something nobody wants to go into in the first place, and we will be working to make sure that we don't go into it," she said.

"If we get to the point where it might be needed, we have a choice as to what we do, so we don't even have to go into the backstop at that point."

"I recognise there are concerns from colleagues about the role of Parliament, about the sovereignty of the UK in relation to that issue, so I am talking to colleagues about how we can look at Parliament having a role in going into that and, if you like, coming out of that," she told Today.

eh? I thought the back stop automatically applied if and when ever and once in cant get out unilaterally?

I hope the mps are not taken in by her bull-shite

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46463326

I think she has to go, comparing her take on the deal and the legal text she is seriously misleading us ?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

She's starting to be as articulate as Mr Trump. And as devious.
John
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

She is misleading parliament, safe in the knowledge that the Speaker will take to task anyone who calls her out for it.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Have ye no scruples, man? And no rods, poles, perches, furlongs, pennyweights, drams nor firkins, neither? :lol:

The obvious answer is “Too firkin far”
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cunobelin wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
pete75 wrote:

The obvious answer is “Too firkin far”

Obvious indeed. A gem. And Imperial!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:I was once required to report water flow rates for a US project in "Acre feet per year"
I thought they were winding me up, but no, this was genuinely their standard unit.
Sounds like the rainfall measurement for Cornwall.

We have three acres on our property, and no doubt it rains a foot per year.
That's one third of an acre-foot per year.
Mick F. Cornwall
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:I was once required to report water flow rates for a US project in "Acre feet per year"
Sounds like the rainfall measurement for Cornwall.

We have three acres on our property, and no doubt it rains a foot per year.
That's one third of an acre-foot per year.

With that much rain you'll need gills :)