Measuring hardshell seat angles

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Measuring hardshell seat angles

Post by UpWrong »

Found the android Bubble Level app to measure angles and tried it on my Nazca Paseo. Nazca list the angle as 35-42 degrees. I have swapped in a shorter fixed fork for the OEM suspension one so the seat should be a bit more upright. Well, as best as I can determine the app says 38 degrees with the seat and suspension in the highest position, and by eye it is significantly less than 45 degrees so the app reading is credible. Interesting. With cycle leggings on I was slipping down in the seat when out riding at the weekend, so I changed the ride setting from its highest to its middle position. I still slipped down. Back home I measured it again. Now 36 degrees. Oddly HPV list the Grasshopper as 39-47 degrees and yet it is clearly more horizontal than the Paseo. :roll:
nigelnightmare

Re: Measuring hardshell seat angles

Post by nigelnightmare »

How is it measured the back of the seat, or the base?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I tried to get the angle of the seat back - so not the seat pan and not the shoulder support. It requires adjustment for the lumbar support i.e. neutralising its presence.

I went for a ride in jeans and fleece today, but still slipping down. Maybe I should have gone with the comfort seat rather than the sports seat. It may be more cupped.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The angle of what on the seat though?

The seats on my Streetmachine and Roos' Fiero don't have flat "seat" or "backrest" areas, so first game is pick some arbitrary notional flat you can measure to the vertical or horizontal.

The whole thing has curves from end to end to account for my spine not being straight!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

pjclinch wrote:The angle of what on the seat though?

Some kind of tangent to the point of inflexion of the lumbar curve in my case. Sounds hard to judge but I seemed to get the same reading when taken on different days.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Pictures would help.

Why did you change the front forks?
Do you have a seat pad?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd suggest the angle between fixing points.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

nigelnightmare wrote:Pictures would help.

Why did you change the front forks?
Do you have a seat pad?

The seat pad is the standard Nazca one, which is thicker than a Novosport pad I used previously.

I changed from the Meks suspension fork to a fixed fork to make the step over easier. However whilst the fixed fork and Big Apple combination has been good enough to ride through most road "imperfections" I am missing the dual suspension. The thought occurs to me that I could fit a 349 wheel with a disc hub to the Meks fork. The fork is heavier and the change to disc brake would add weight too, but the improvement in comfort would be welcome.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd suggest the angle between fixing points.

Nah, the seat bracket forms and their positions can't be ignored.