Windermere to Nottingham

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Huck

Windermere to Nottingham

Post by Huck »

Thinking of doing this route (No 6) in the spring of 2019. As anyone traveled this route before?. Looking for recommendations for campsites or good wild camping spots along the way. Time is not an issue.
Sweep

Re: Windermere to Nottingham

Post by Sweep »

If I could tag onto this. Only just noticed this route 6 and see that it could get ne from london to bury.

I have a route from bury to where I need to go to, so can I tag along and ask a specific question about possible barrier issues for a fully loaded bike on the section from northolt on the canal in london to bury. Barriers I know can be a problem for sustrans routes.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

I've done a fair bit of NCN 6 in two sections.
North from Derby to Preston, it meanders to say the least, I think it's a joining up of several pre existing routes and certainly isn't the one most people would use between those points. it starts be heading out in the wrong direction avoiding the Peak District and then turns at Sheffield for a tough ride across it. It then becomes an urban route, probably useful to some locals but not my idea of ideal touring. I wasn't camping so have no recommendations. If you haven't already done it I'd recommend NCN 68 as a better route North from the E Midlands.
I know the Derby to Leicester section very well, I ought to it passes my front door, good trail for the first few miles then mainly quiet Lanes to Leic and a simple route through the city before returning to the lanes.
I've followed it from Leic to St Albans with a friend who hadn't cycled much, three days at around 40 miles a day, camping with me towing the kit on a trailer. We didn't stick to it religiously, detouring to camp at Wickstead and later to visit friends. I'd say we were on route 80% and I thought it a good one, the tracks were all good enough and some of the lanes very scenic. We had no problems with the trailer on any section we did. Not the fastest route South but I'd use it again. From St Albans we stayed on the NCN cutting across to Potters Bar then on to NCN 1 and down the Lee Valley into the Olympic Park. We camped at Wickstead a big commercial park but plenty of room, just outside Milton Keynes and Potters Bar, they were all OK but I wouldn't go out of my way to return to any of them.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Sweep wrote:If I could tag onto this. Only just noticed this route 6 and see that it could get ne from london to bury.

I have a route from bury to where I need to go to, so can I tag along and ask a specific question about possible barrier issues for a fully loaded bike on the section from northolt on the canal in london to bury. Barriers I know can be a problem for sustrans routes.

viewtopic.php?t=67575&start=15

Be interesting to see if there’s any improvement
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Paulatic wrote:
Sweep wrote:If I could tag onto this. Only just noticed this route 6 and see that it could get ne from london to bury.

viewtopic.php?t=67575&start=15

Be interesting to see if there’s any improvement

:)

Thanks for reminding me of my own thread start - had forgotten.

On reflection reading some of the comments upthraad it is kind of indirect and i already have a kind of route mapped, having ridden Birm to London and Wolverhampton to the Ribble Valley - separate trips.

Back to the OP's question.
Sweep
Huck

Post by Huck »

PH wrote:I've done a fair bit of NCN 6 in two sections.
North from Derby to Preston, it meanders to say the least, I think it's a joining up of several pre existing routes and certainly isn't the one most people would use between those points. it starts be heading out in the wrong direction avoiding the Peak District and then turns at Sheffield for a tough ride across it. It then becomes an urban route, probably useful to some locals but not my idea of ideal touring. I wasn't camping so have no recommendations. If you haven't already done it I'd recommend NCN 68 as a better route North from the E Midlands.
I know the Derby to Leicester section very well, I ought to it passes my front door, good trail for the first few miles then mainly quiet Lanes to Leic and a simple route through the city before returning to the lanes.
I've followed it from Leic to St Albans with a friend who hadn't cycled much, three days at around 40 miles a day, camping with me towing the kit on a trailer. We didn't stick to it religiously, detouring to camp at Wickstead and later to visit friends. I'd say we were on route 80% and I thought it a good one, the tracks were all good enough and some of the lanes very scenic. We had no problems with the trailer on any section we did. Not the fastest route South but I'd use it again. From St Albans we stayed on the NCN cutting across to Potters Bar then on to NCN 1 and down the Lee Valley into the Olympic Park. We camped at Wickstead a big commercial park but plenty of room, just outside Milton Keynes and Potters Bar, they were all OK but I wouldn't go out of my way to return to any of them.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Huck wrote:Thinking of doing this route (No 6) in the spring of 2019. As anyone traveled this route before?. Looking for recommendations for campsites or good wild camping spots along the way. Time is not an issue.

Have to admit I've never travelled "routes".

If I were cycling between Nottingham/Windermere I 'd simply head east towards Newark (Superb countryside, full of historic features), head north through the western edge of Lincolnshire and north of York start thinking about heading West through the Dales. Aside from choosing a route through distinctive countryside, avoiding urban conurbations / traffic would sum up my aim (While possibly heading into distinct towns if I felt like it I.e. York).

As for good wild camping spots, anywhere away from people is normally ok (Ie. Stay clear of major roads, conurbations and ensure you're not camping in the local fly tipping spot!)
Huck

Post by Huck »

Want to travel home from Windermere on Route 6 as it passes within a few hundred yards of my home in Notts. PH has suggested Route 68, I have had a quick look and should be thinking of utilising both.More research is needed.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

gbnz wrote:
As for good wild camping spots, anywhere away from people is normally ok (Ie. Stay clear of major roads,

Counterinuitively I find that near major roads can be very good.
If have time will try to post one :)

Here:

https://osmand.net/go.html?lat=52.65274 ... 91312&z=19
Sweep