Paul Sherwen R.I.P.

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
mjr

Re: Paul Sherwen R.I.P.

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Has the cause of death been disclosed?

Heart attack, according to Phil Liggett's tweets.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I saw that a second thread about PS had been started, were they not simply merged/combined? What if anything was deleted?

Two threads were merged.

After that, one user commented something, then later deleted their comments, but in the meanwhile, a few people had responded. I believe that another moderated deleted the posts that were a response to the user-deleted comment.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Some sort of clarification there, thank you.

fausto.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:After that, one user commented something, then later deleted their comments, but in the meanwhile, a few people had responded. I believe that another moderated deleted the posts that were a response to the user-deleted comment.

It would have been kinder to edit out the replying part, not silently bin people's work.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=31423 for a summary of the doping allegations, about halfway down the page, after the stuff referring to deleted tweets. Still RIP Paul because of all the people he introduced and inspired, but I fear he's not going to be the last rider from the testosterone-doping era that dies young.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

The Cycling Podcast dedicated this weeks episode to Paul including a chat with Phil
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad just published an obituary
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TenuousLink

Post by TenuousLink »

slowster wrote:I read a biography of someone who was a sort of moderator. It described how he would delete entries and change them, so that what had originally been written either vanished and never existed in the first place, or its meaning was completely changed. Like whoever deleted the posts on this thread, the chap did not think that he was doing anything wrong. His name was Winston Smith.

I realise that you might think that's a ridiculous comparison and hyperbole, but it's not. You just haven't thought through the full implications of what you have done.

Welcome to the world of the Fabian Society where George Orwell saw the blueprints for Humanity. The world of Aldoux Huxley's Bravery New World, Statin's for anyone who's over 50?

On another subject, Of my many meetings with Paul, he was the real deal. The surprising thing with Paul was the revelation when he mentioned he had a degree to other riders in the peloton, they replied to him, "What are you doing here then?"
He didn't need to be a bike rider, he wanted to be there! Where do you want to go/be?