Porridge: love or hate? Vote now please!

Do you love porridge?

Yes I have it every day
36%
Yes if offered, e.g. at a YH or BB
3%
2-6 times a week
28%
Not more than once a week
13%
Only in winter/in Scotland
10%
Only when visiting the grandparents
1%
No, I hate it
6%
Not tried it yet
No votes
No opinion / what is porridge?
1%

Total votes: 67

truckturner

Re: Porridge: love or hate?

Post by truckturner »

ambodach wrote:Surely everybody knows the correct way is to do a week’s supply on Monday and pour into the porridge drawer and cut a slice off every morning. When I worked on farms we got porridge twice per day and the auld farmer maintained we were lucky as in his young days he got it at every meal. This of course is plain oatmeal porridge and none of your fancy stuff. Fair sticks tae the ribs.

I know this and I do this and I am English although once a day is enough I am not one for a cold slice from my Jersey pocket. I use grease proof paper rather than newspaper in the drawer. Its allways better twice cooked and it stores well in the drawer if made with oats water and salt . Love it Peter
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What consistency does it have, dry like biscuits?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What consistency does it have, dry like biscuits?

Bryn Old boy, I have made my own porridge bars in the past, using cooking oil and treacle, but I am weird remember.
loads on the web for inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwTfE8HCE-U
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Another thread just reminded me of another excellent serving suggestion. Back in my cowboy days a lot of our milk went into crowdie (for the uninitiated, that's a Highland cottage cheese). As well as being one of the best cheeses known to mannie, it also turned out to be an excellent accompaniment to porridge.

I no longer have a supply of crowdie (Tesco sometimes sells a version but I've never brung myself to try it :lol: ), but there may be a passable substitute somewhere in one of the cheese aisles. I can feel another experiment coming on...
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Food experiments are best done in the morning, then the digestion is active and can deal with any Unintended Consequences :?
Corbyn has porridge for breakfast every day
What does May eat?
Ray

Post by Ray »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What does May eat?

Humble pie?
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

Oats made with water and then covered with 4oz of pure pomegranate juice. Me that is . . . not Mrs May!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Porridge is so simple yet it somehow reaches into fantasy, or is my perception not quite right? Read about the World Porridge Championships years ago, could not be sure if it was a factual report or a satire :wink:
Ray

Post by Ray »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Porridge is so simple yet it somehow reaches into fantasy, or is my perception not quite right? Read about the World Porridge Championships years ago, could not be sure if it was a factual report or a satire :wink:

Sounds like a joke, but I believe it to be true - with the winner being awarded the 'Golden Spurtle' (or somesuch).
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Ray wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Porridge is so simple yet it somehow reaches into fantasy, or is my perception not quite right? Read about the World Porridge Championships years ago, could not be sure if it was a factual report or a satire :wink:

Sounds like a joke, but I believe it to be true - with the winner being awarded the 'Golden Spurtle' (or somesuch).

If my spurtles were golden I'd be off to see the quack, toot sweet! Bad things can happen "down there", especially to fogeys, ole scrotes (!) and gimmers.

I believe, though, that regular porridge-feeding can see-orf many rots & cankers. How much does one need to gobble down for the rot to go into abeyance or even fail to appear? This must remain a personal matter; but suffice it to say that there's probably one extra oat farmer somewhere in the scotlands just because of me and my breakfast, home-made flapjacks and other oatyfuds.

Cugel, just a boy really.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Porridge is great when one gets up early to go to work, slow-release carbohydrates
Just oats and water, +1
softlips

Post by softlips »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Porridge is great when one gets up early to go to work, slow-release carbohydrates
Just oats and water, +1

Prefer it with milk.
Ray

Post by Ray »

For years I've made mine with 'Porridge oats' plus 50-50 water and semi-skimmed milk. Am now mostly using 'Jumbo oats' plus 50-50 water and 'oat drink' (Alpro, usually). Tastes good - the oat drink is naturally slightly sweet. I top it with stewed prunes and Latvian kefir. The kefir seems good for the digestion (I have mild IBS), as are the prunes!
As a veggie, I do consume milk products - eg the kefir, and cheese, but am happy to reduce this a bit by using oat drink which, although processed, contributes a little less to global warming by not having passed through a farting, belching cow :wink:
Ray
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:Porridge?
I'd rather eat Marmite.

Add the marmite to the porridge.
You'd go further faster on porridge :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Made a big pot of lentil soup yesterday, enough for three servings, but I was not hungry so I am having some for breakfast instead

Lentil soup is the new porridge!