Mental activity v. Mental decline?

661-Pete

Mental activity v. Mental decline?

Post by 661-Pete »

Just been reading this article.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46507024
I find it a bit alarming. After all, I've been doing stuff like Sudoku, crosswords, playing bridge, in recent years, in the expectation that it will help keep the old grey cells going for a few years yet (I'm 68).

That besides a moderate amount of healthy activity. After all I do still cycle, though the level has declined drastically in recent years. And my BP is regularly monitored, my diet is reasonably balanced and healthy, I've never smoked, I rarely drink alcohol, etc. etc.

But my mental health is certainly not all it should be. I've had on-and-off depression for years, intermixed with bouts of anxiety and panic attacks. And I find I can barely play the piano any more - mainly for psychological reasons. I go 'off the rails' at times.

Any ideas?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Re: Mental activity v. Mental decline?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I find changing the *order* I do things helps a bit, or just doing new (or old) and different things, nothing fancy or expensive, visit local museums, go to a part of the library you rarely visit
Try chess instead of bridge :wink:

Just prepared a Christmas present for someone I do not see often, filled a little book with clever/funny texts from my collection, plus news from home, I know she will like it, fun to create, I enjoyed it too

Unser Kenntnis soll Erkenntnis werden
Our acquaintance should become understanding (Hegel)

Our understanding should become acquaintance (Cyril Haearn) :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe you need a challenge, task, job

One has better days and not-so-good days, one should try to accept this maybe, there may be no reason. Today is so grey, one could just go back to bed :?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Try chess instead of bridge :wink:
If only! I'm the world's worst chess-player - no kidding! At least in bridge I can just about hold my own...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Try chess instead of bridge :wink:
If only! I'm the world's worst chess-player - no kidding! At least in bridge I can just about hold my own...

If you try hard you can quickly get much better

The best chess players are not so good either, they drew all the games, only when time was limited could Carlson (27) win cos he thinks faster than the American. What do their brains look like, how do they differ?

Using computers chess players have Perfect Knowledge, sort of, but too much of it :?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The article certainly is about keeping the brain functioning for longer. At 69, my ears pricked up when I heard thus article. But this is different to mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. These can afflict anyone at any age. Proper mental healthcare offered by appropriate professionals is needed here, in just the same way as with any other health condition.

I understand that choral singing is good for both mental health and keeping the brain functioning.

Good luck!
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

From what I have read and seen in sectional brain scans it seems to me that Dementia and Alzheimers are due to physical degradation in the brain, a symptom of ageing, not lack of brain exercise. If that is true I dont see how doing su doku or something like that can be much help? Perhaps brain exercises are a bit like stroke recovery where other parts of the brain take over somewhat from the damaged part? That said I do seek out mental and physical challenges to tackle.
Whatever has recently afflicted my Mrs is very strange and her Neurologist doesnt seem to have a clue what it is or how to treat it. Despite having a green recycling bin for 20 years she will put the wrong things in it now, she has forgotten how to work the microwave and the shower, but when she watched Only Connect with me last night she answered quite a few questions correctly!
Mental stuff is a mystery.. Fortunately neither of us have suffered from severe depression for a long period. Having had one short episode I feel very sorry for those people that suffer from it repeatedly.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The article actually says that sudoku etc will not protect you from dementia etc, although mento exercise is good for you anyway.
John
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

make a list of the things you used to love doing and then try and do some of them, things perhaps you have not done since you where a kid, it can lift your mood.
take care
Pat
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I had a friend who had one of those bubble in the brain type injuries after a mtb accident. Lucky to survive. Brain damaged but still as clever as before just red / green colour blind (end of career as an electrician) and long term benefits. His issues were coordination and a few social issues. However I only met him after the injury so I really only know the damaged person. I did see him repairing himself. The brain does repair itself or rewire itself somehow. I have seen it before too with a guy who had brain damage due to carbon monoxide poisoning. He slowly recovered himself too but not completely.

The reason I have posted about these examples is because the brain is a strange and amazing thing. Capable of something special but you only realise that when you see what a damaged brain is like.

So we do what we can to try and stave off dementia or brain degradation. Perhaps we should also put some effort into planning for the eventuality when your brain stops being this special organ. Whether dementia or damage. How can you plan for it? I'm speaking from the basis of seeing my gran go through it. I personally want to make it easy for my family if I start losing it (what do you mean start?!!).
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Playing a musical instrument (in an orchestra) definitely works the brain cells.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

De Sisti wrote:Playing a musical instrument (in an orchestra) definitely works the brain cells.

And having to cooperate with dozens of other musicians, +1
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tangled Metal wrote:I had a friend who had one of those bubble in the brain type injuries after a mtb accident. Lucky to survive. Brain damaged but still as clever as before just red / green colour blind (end of career as an electrician) and long term benefits. His issues were coordination and a few social issues. However I only met him after the injury so I really only know the damaged person. I did see him repairing himself. The brain does repair itself or rewire itself somehow. I have seen it before too with a guy who had brain damage due to carbon monoxide poisoning. He slowly recovered himself too but not completely.

The reason I have posted about these examples is because the brain is a strange and amazing thing. Capable of something special but you only realise that when you see what a damaged brain is like.

So we do what we can to try and stave off dementia or brain degradation. Perhaps we should also put some effort into planning for the eventuality when your brain stops being this special organ. Whether dementia or damage. How can you plan for it? I'm speaking from the basis of seeing my gran go through it. I personally want to make it easy for my family if I start losing it (what do you mean start?!!).

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2018 ... vors-story

Very interesting article about this in the Guardian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Apparently when one gets older and starts to decline the things that were learnt later are lost first (foreign languages!), kiddy stuff, playing etc might not be lost

An old person might not know how old he is, but he probably could remember his birth date because that never changed

Scientists prove or suspect all sorts of things but people are so varied. I think it is like muscles, just keep using and taxing your brain!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The article - rather than the research behind it - is intended to catch the attention of people who do crosswords etc., to keep mentally active.