Wrist mirror

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
roberts8

Wrist mirror

Post by roberts8 »

Does any know if these work? I have butterfly bars and drops and do change bar positions frequently on a ride so constant adjustment could be annoying but can see (no pun intended ) the advantage as I have slightly restricted movement in my neck. I assume it would be useful when cycling on European roads.

Thanks
mjr

Re: Wrist mirror

Post by mjr »

A small sharp disc of plastic (I really hope it's not glass) near one's wrist? What could possibly go wrong in the worst case? (In case it's not clear, I think this is only just less daft as an idea than ones sticking out of helmets on skewers.)

Can you really not make a mirror or two on the bike work?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

The safety aspect is a good point so maybe I will look at the ones that fit on the down tubes so can be interchangeable between bikes. Thanks for your opinion.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

There are different designs to that without sticking out. However I've yet to find any mirror of any sort that is any good.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Re the useful in Europe. I use a bike mounted mirror, I put it on the right for lhd roads and the left for rhd roads. Most mirrors are interchangeable. Mine is a Cateye, so it's (notionally) French anyway.

I use flat bars, so can't recommend mine, but there are lots to choose from.
D
I find it very useful when touring, to give me a idea of what's behind. I wouldn't rely on it as a full check before a move across the road manoeuvre.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Considering that your wrist has to be in the perfect position every time you check the mirror it could end up being frustrating.
On my butterfly bars I placed the mirror on the upper bend (corner angle). Mainly because I used the main bars, the side bars, much more than the upper bars. After a few hours you get used to it.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

MarcusT wrote:Considering that your wrist has to be in the perfect position every time you check the mirror it could end up being frustrating.
On my butterfly bars I placed the mirror on the upper bend (corner angle). Mainly because I used the main bars, the side bars, much more than the upper bars. After a few hours you get used to it.

+1

Never been an issue
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I've used one that fits in the end of my drop bars on my tourer for years, very good and increases safety.
That wrist mount one looks like a Wallace & Grommit invention.
Helmet ones seem a good idea but haven't tried one.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

simonhill wrote:Re the useful in Europe. I use a bike mounted mirror, I put it on the right for lhd roads and the left for rhd roads. Most mirrors are interchangeable. Mine is a Cateye, so it's (notionally) French anyway.

There's me thinking that Cateye are Japanese :-)

I also have bike mounted mirrors. Of the ones I've tried: The original Mirrycle worked well, but not compatible with modern drop-bar brakes. The bar-end Mirrycle was also good. On the current bikes, we have three B&M types. They are available in two diameters and a variety of mounts and stalk-lengths.

- Nigel
tod28

Post by tod28 »

Nigel wrote:
simonhill wrote:Mine is a Cateye, so it's (notionally) French anyway.

- Nigel

Only since 1954! :roll:

https://www.cateye.com/intl/company/outline/
mjr

Post by mjr »

Nigel wrote:
simonhill wrote:[...] Mine is a Cateye, so it's (notionally) French anyway.

Yes, Zefal are the main French mirror-makers that I've seen.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I know a recumbent rider who uses a mirror dangling from the wrist to excellent effect.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry, I meant Zéfal, the French bike accessory maker since 1880, not the upstart Cateye.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

mjr wrote: (In case it's not clear, I think this is only just less daft as an idea than ones sticking out of helmets on skewers.)

Can you really not make a mirror or two on the bike work?

I have used a helmet mounted mirror for years.

IMHO if any injury caused by these devices had ever been recorded the recall notices would have gone out immediately.

Mike
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Greystoke wrote:Helmet ones seem a good idea but haven't tried one.

First, you need a helmet to fit it to. :wink:
I no longer own one.
Mick F. Cornwall