This Facebook page needs to be taken down...

The utility cyclist

Re: This Facebook page needs to be taken down...

Post by The utility cyclist »

Cyril Haearn wrote:'Talk to someone' :?

That could help mind, if one rarely talks to people and spends too much time on farcebook

How much time is that exactly, is it more or less than time spent on cycling social media?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:'Talk to someone' :?

That could help mind, if one rarely talks to people and spends too much time on farcebook

How much time is that exactly, is it more or less than time spent on cycling social media?

Could be that some of us spend too much time on cycleface
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Prima facie reason for boycotting FB - as if there weren't one already...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

...it doesn't go against any of our specific community standards.
Obviously the standards of Facebook are extremely low. If Facebook can't deal with this themselves then maybe political powers need to make them.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I use FB all the time.You have to take it for what it is.There are idiots on all Social Media platforms just leave them to it.There's absolutely no point in wasting time trying to get pages banned :roll: There are far worse pages/groups than "Yellow W*****" on Social Media,many of them closed or secret and some of them extremely concerning.
People moan about FB etc gathering your data.I have no problem with this.When you see some of the groups on there I think it's not a bad thing they do.At least some of these nutters can be monitored.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

100%JR wrote:People moan about FB etc gathering your data.I have no problem with this.When you see some of the groups on there I think it's not a bad thing they do.At least some of these nutters can be monitored.

You haven't really considered this have you? Facebook tracks you across the internet, it builds up a profile of your likes and dislikes, it matches you to your friends, family and acquaintances, and sells this information to third parties so that you and your contacts can be subjected to targeted advertising and targeted news feed. Welcome to your own personal bubble. Not only can this bubbling be misused, it is actively being misused.
geomannie
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

geomannie wrote:
100%JR wrote:People moan about FB etc gathering your data.I have no problem with this.When you see some of the groups on there I think it's not a bad thing they do.At least some of these nutters can be monitored.

You haven't really considered this have you? Facebook tracks you across the internet, it builds up a profile of your likes and dislikes, it matches you to your friends, family and acquaintances, and sells this information to third parties so that you and your contacts can be subjected to targeted advertising and targeted news feed. Welcome to your own personal bubble. Not only can this bubbling be misused, it is actively being misused.

Yes and all text messages and emails are also tracked and stored.
Welcome to the new World :wink:
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

100%JR wrote:
geomannie wrote:

Except Facebook does more than track and store. :wink:
I don't peddle bikes.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

MikeF wrote:
100%JR wrote:
geomannie wrote:

And you know this how?
Do you have proof other than what you’ve read....on the internet or in some comic?
You are being watched/monitored 24/7.Facebook is the least of anyone’s worries :roll:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

geomannie wrote:

JR is immune to these suggestive prompts despite them being tailored specifically to press the various buttons those data analyst rascals have found. He never buys anything he doesn't really really need. Also, he does everything correctly so no one can deny him a service just because he opined something off-kilter last Tuesday!

"I. manipulated by a psycho-advertiser data-chopper, with my reputation!?"

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Did you hear about the UK woman who's written letters to FB, twitter, experian and another similar company about the way they sent advertising to her.

Apparently these companies were clever enough to find out she was pregnant but not clever enough to find out she had a stillborn baby. As a result she got targeted advertising about baby related products and services. How distressing do you think that would be?

She's campaigning on the matter. Even got an admission from one company that they could have done better. Seems it's quite common that these advertising companies have done similar to other people in a similar distressing way.

IMHO it is time to pass laws to make these companies responsible for the contact on their platforms. As in make them the responsible publisher fir everything from content to advertising. If anyone publishes a legally actionable comment the platform also faces action too.

These are huge advertising and marketing companies but they do not face the same regulations traditional advertising organisations face. They don't face the same regulations as publishing companies such as papers. They need more control IMHO.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cugel wrote:JR is immune to these suggestive prompts despite them being tailored specifically to press the various buttons those data analyst rascals have found. He never buys anything he doesn't really really need. Also, he does everything correctly so no one can deny him a service just because he opined something off-kilter last Tuesday!
Cugel

If that is aimed at me you couldn't be more wrong :wink:
I use adblock on everything.I see no ads :wink:
Of course crap appears on my FB feed even if I report and block it but it's no different so seeing billboards when driving.It doesn't influence what I buy so I have no problem with it.Ditto Twitter/Instagram.

Why is everyone so hung up on social media and especially Facebook being the devils child?
1.Switch on your laptop/PC/Tablet...it's being monitored/tracked/stored
2.Switch on your mobile phone....monitored/tracked/stored
3.Use your Bank/Credit card....monitored/tracked/stored
4.Car have inbuilt Satnav?.....monitored/tracked/stored
5.Satellite/Cable TV?...monitored/tracked/stored

Basically if you're alive you are being watched but hey let's just blame Facebook :lol: :lol: :roll:

Reminds me of a in-joke on Bikeradar Forums.Anything wrong in the World....blame Wiggle.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

100%JR wrote:
Cugel wrote:JR is immune to these suggestive prompts despite them being tailored specifically to press the various buttons those data analyst rascals have found. He never buys anything he doesn't really really need. Also, he does everything correctly so no one can deny him a service just because he opined something off-kilter last Tuesday!
Cugel

If that is aimed at me you couldn't be more wrong :wink:
I use adblock on everything.I see no ads :wink:
Of course crap appears on my FB feed even if I report and block it but it's no different so seeing billboards when driving.It doesn't influence what I buy so I have no problem with it.Ditto Twitter/Instagram.

Why is everyone so hung up on social media and especially Facebook being the devils child?
1.Switch on your laptop/PC/Tablet...it's being monitored/tracked/stored
2.Switch on your mobile phone....monitored/tracked/stored
3.Use your Bank/Credit card....monitored/tracked/stored
4.Car have inbuilt Satnav?.....monitored/tracked/stored
5.Satellite/Cable TV?...monitored/tracked/stored

Basically if you're alive you are being watched but hey let's just blame Facebook :lol: :lol: :rol.

Cambridge Analytica
geomannie
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

100%JR wrote:
MikeF wrote:
100%JR wrote:Yes and all text messages and emails are also tracked and stored.

And you know this how?
Do you have proof other than what you’ve read....on the internet or in some comic?
You are being watched/monitored 24/7.Facebook is the least of anyone’s worries :roll:
Simple texts and emails can be traced as obviously they are stored on computers somewhere. They are a one to one connection similar to a phone call, not actively tracked by commercial third parties. Web browsers can be a multiway connection from you to many with active tracking. With Facebook you need to sign to their terms and conditions and it is actively multiway and tracking is a fundamental part of its existence. That is a big difference.

Incidentally the only thing I can read on the internet is connection routes. The internet is simply a series of connections. :wink:
I don't peddle bikes.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

MikeF wrote:Simple texts and emails can be traced as obviously they are stored on computers somewhere. They are a one to one connection similar to a phone call, not actively tracked by commercial third parties. Web browsers can be a multiway connection from you to many with active tracking. With Facebook you need to sign to their terms and conditions and it is actively multiway and tracking is a fundamental part of its existence. That is a big difference.

Yes but why is it such a big deal?
Everyone who uses FB now knows what the T&Cs are(if they didn't before).It obviously doesn't bother the Millions who use it but it seems to bother those who don't :?:

Every single thing you download to your laptop/PC is stored,even if you delete it.Deep in your registry it's there :wink: You just have to know where to look.Even photos/videos on your cameras SD card are still there when you delete them or Format the card.I suspect it's the same with Smartphones.There's probably some "get out of Jail" Industry explanation for this but AFAIC FaceBook is the least of my worries :mrgreen: