A girl, a boy and a bike

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Patrickpioneer

A girl, a boy and a bike

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I don't like films, I'm a misery, but I found this link on another forum to an old film involving cycling and I enjoyed it, perhaps I am mellowing?
Pat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRt1gZqg5ag
pete75

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Post by pete75 »

Patrickpioneer wrote:I don't like films, I'm a misery, but I found this link on another forum to an old film involving cycling and I enjoyed it, perhaps I am mellowing?
Pat

No it's a good film and quite charming. Must be new on youtube because I couldn't find it there a couple of years ago so bought the DVD.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

on the matter of Utube videos

[youtube]fJxRWj2Xv-A[/youtube]
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

No it's a good film and quite charming. Must be new on youtube because I couldn't find it there a couple of years ago so bought the DVD.[/quote]

Charming, yes that's the word and a good record of the period, not just for cycling but housing, deserters and the class system, illegal betting, not much they did leave out.
A charming jolly good film
pat
1066enthalpies1939

Post by 1066enthalpies1939 »

Patrickpioneer wrote:I don't like films, I'm a misery, but I found this link on another forum to an old film involving cycling and I enjoyed it, perhaps I am mellowing?
Pat

Can anybody identify the locations used in this film?
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

if you have a look at the photos in this link, people have identified some of the places,
Pat
https://www.reelstreets.com/films/boy-a ... -a-bike-a/
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Do you think it would help to get the title of the film correct?
It is "A Boy, a Girl and a Bike"! Patrick Holt, Honour Blackman, Diana Dors, Megs Jenkins, Leslie Dwyer, John McCallum, Maurice Denham, Anthony Newley et al. Great film. TTFN MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I watched it well some of it, a film best forgotten. One thing I did seem to notice, did the handle bars have any tape on them? they seemed rather shiney. you notice many of the men were drawing on their fags? I find it hard to believe they could be any good on their bikes also?
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

1066enthalpies1939 wrote:Can anybody identify the locations used in this film?

The Yorkshire Dales, suggest Calderdale.

John.

N.B Love the soundtrack, a charming film thanks for sharing. Honor Blackman...stunning.
Last edited by Hobbs1951 on 12 Dec 2018, 10:05am, edited 1 time in total.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I find old films like this fascinating. Not because of the plot but as an insight into what is different between now and then.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
1066enthalpies1939 wrote:Can anybody identify the locations used in this film?

The Yorkshire Dales, suggest Calderdale.

John.

N.B Love the soundtrack, a charming film thanks for sharing. Honor Blackman...stunning.

The opening scene is the road from Buckden village in Upper Wharfedale. At Buckden take a left towards Oughtershaw
( direction towards HAWES ) and through an area known as Deepdale. At the cattle grid at Low Raisgill Farm B and B the road descends with the river on the right towards the old pack horse bridge which forks right towards Yockenthwaite farm.

When you watch the film at the point where the Bentleyhas broken down you can now see the stone bridge. This is still there which now take you to a National Trust office, a Granola producer and Yockenthwaite Farm The road continue to Beckermonds Bridge and Yockenthwaite.

51'24'' at Kilnsey Crag.

52' 08'' at Linton in Craven - The Fountaine Hospital and Alms Houses

1hr 07.09 - at Barden Bridge nr Bolton Abbey

1hr 9.18 - At the top of Malham Cove.

1hr 14 . 45 - Skipton High Street.

1hr 19.39 - Gordale Nr Malham

1hr 22.49 - B6160. from Burnsall towards Bolton Abbey ( The Fell Road )

This is my neck of the woods :D :D :D
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

cyclemad wrote:The opening scene is the road from Buckden village in Upper Wharfedale. At Buckden take a left towards Oughtershaw
( direction towards HAWES ) and through an area known as Deepdale. At the cattle grid at Low Raisgill Farm B and B the road descends with the river on the right towards the old pack horse bridge which forks right towards Yockenthwaite farm.

When you watch the film at the point where the Bentleyhas broken down you can now see the stone bridge. This is still there which now take you to a National Trust office, a Granola producer and Yockenthwaite Farm The road continue to Beckermonds Bridge and Yockenthwaite.

51'24'' at Kilnsey Crag.

52' 08'' at Linton in Craven - The Fountaine Hospital and Alms Houses

1hr 07.09 - at Barden Bridge nr Bolton Abbey

1hr 9.18 - At the top of Malham Cove.

1hr 14 . 45 - Skipton High Street.

1hr 19.39 - Gordale Nr Malham

1hr 22.49 - B6160. from Burnsall towards Bolton Abbey ( The Fell Road )

This is my neck of the woods :D :D :D

Can't argue with that :)
I haven't watched the entire film but I need to get back up to the Dales.Haven't cycled there for a couple of years,the last time being Kings Dale,Chapel-Le-Dale,Dent Dale,Garsdale,Swale Dale.
My parents live just outside Hawes but since falling out 12 years ago I don't get up to the Dales as often as I used to :|
We spent many a good year Holidaying at Braida Garth Farm in Kingsdale throughout the 70/80s.I think riding around Kingsdale and Dentdale as a lad is why I still ride now.Happy days.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

its good to see how much it hasn't changed .The Fountaine Pub in Linton In Linton In Craven is my local...The food and beer is fantastic.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

cyclemad wrote:its good to see how much it hasn't changed .The Fountaine Pub in Linton In Linton In Craven is my local...The food and beer is fantastic.

We camped near there some years ago now.Wood nook?IIRC we visited the Fountaine.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

wood nook is still open and still the same family who run it ...Elec hook ups even on etc tent pitches...Luxury under canvass. Its a great caravan and camp site ( statics for hire too ) :D