Role model: who is yours?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Role model: who is yours?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is enough variety to be had using locally grown stuff, potatoes, apples, onions can be stored for months

Parsnips* or sprouts can be prepared in many different ways

I suspect the problem is that too many parsnips are exported so they are replaced by imports, crazy, if b****t stops This Madness.. :wink:?

Raw
Pureed
Baked
Boiled
Fried
Steamed
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

661-Pete wrote:
Give me stick if you really must. Incidentally, the word is spelt "hypocrisy"...

I fly at every opportunity, love it so much i spent most of my life as an aircraft engineer, i drive to the shops, i drive cycle at every opportunity, nothing beats new vistas. We enjoy fresh veg and fruit all year round ... we'll be having lots of salad and fruit from Kenya and Spain over the Christ Mass hols. ...We drive a campervan, a pickup truck, a small car and a motorbike, mostly to transport the children around to school, social and their various sporting engagements including a daily 20 (sometimes 30) mile school run !
There are certain requirements for your "word " to apply ..... Don't think Jules and I meet them. :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pwa

Post by pwa »

landsurfer wrote:
pwa wrote:Still flying in spite of what it does to the planet?

If you truly believe that not getting on a plane means your are not using planes .... then your deluded.
Use Amazon ?
Buy out of season veg and fruit?
Flowers for that significent other ?
Had a coffee to-day ?

Cycle to the shops to buy stuff that came by plane ... in plastic, from countries that imprison and kill Gay people .. and Christians...
We are all wound up in world trading .... and if you think aircraft are flying around with empty holds .... you need to do a reality check i'm afraid.

I don't use Amazon.
I consider where my food comes from and buy accordingly.
She doesn't like cut flowers.
And I haven't flown for a long time. It must be getting on for seventeen years (rough guess) since I gave it up. You can bang on about climate change or you can fly but you can't do both unless you have very convenient mental compartmentalisation.
Yes, I drink (too much) coffee. Do they fly that in? Why? I'd have though shipping containers would be appropriate for that. (Edit: checked, and most coffee imported into Europe arrives as green beans in shipping containers, on ships)
Why assume you are the only one who thinks beyond the obvious? I do realise we all end up supporting things we don't like through our purchases, but I try. Where I suspect something is wrong I try. That is the best we can do.

(I made that little comment on 31July. What made you drag it up now? :lol: )
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I suspect the problem is that too many parsnips are exported so they are replaced by imports, crazy, if b****t stops This Madness.. :wink:?
Even now, it's surprisingly difficult to find parsnips (panais) in France: when a few miserable specimens do show up on the supermarket shelves, they're generally labelled "Origine - Angleterre". I suppose French people simply have no taste for the things.

Personally I find parsnips have limited application, mainly because if used too liberally the taste tends to overwhelm anything else. Yesterday I made a "Root Vegetable Rösti" for lunch. Not a true rösti, the recipe calls for other things besides potatoes - e.g. carrot, swede, parsnip. We didn't have any parsnips in, and I didn't think it was worth buying any specially, so we settled for potato, carrot and swede. And very tasty it was too - an excellent Winter Warmer! :D
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

landsurfer wrote:I fly at every opportunity, love it so much i spent most of my life as an aircraft engineer, i drive to the shops, i drive cycle at every opportunity, nothing beats new vistas. We enjoy fresh veg and fruit all year round ... we'll be having lots of salad and fruit from Kenya and Spain over the Christ Mass hols. ...We drive a campervan, a pickup truck, a small car and a motorbike, mostly to transport the children around to school, social and their various sporting engagements including a daily 20 (sometimes 30) mile school run !
Ha ha! Methinks Sir is pulling our leg, eh?!

There are certain requirements for your "word " to apply ..... Don't think Jules and I meet them. :D
I thought the word was going to be thrown at me - I wasn't calling anyone else by it. And it wasn't you who mis-spelt it....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
pwa

Post by pwa »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I suspect the problem is that too many parsnips are exported so they are replaced by imports, crazy, if b****t stops This Madness.. :wink:?
Even now, it's surprisingly difficult to find parsnips (panais) in France: when a few miserable specimens do show up on the supermarket shelves, they're generally labelled "Origine - Angleterre". I suppose French people simply have no taste for the things.

Personally I find parsnips have limited application, mainly because if used too liberally the taste tends to overwhelm anything else. Yesterday I made a "Root Vegetable Rösti" for lunch. Not a true rösti, the recipe calls for other things besides potatoes - e.g. carrot, swede, parsnip. We didn't have any parsnips in, and I didn't think it was worth buying any specially, so we settled for potato, carrot and swede. And very tasty it was too - an excellent Winter Warmer! :D

I don't use them much but they are good roasted, possibly with a little sesame oil.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pwa wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Personally I find parsnips have limited application....
I don't use them much but they are good roasted, possibly with a little sesame oil.
Me too, roasted seems to be the best option. Although I like all veg., parsnips are far from being my favourite!
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Richard Dawkins.For speaking about so much about the stupid absurdity that is Religion
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Plus 1 for Durham Biker! Religions can be so divisive. MM
pwa

Post by pwa »

durhambiker wrote:Richard Dawkins.For speaking about so much about the stupid absurdity that is Religion

In his own way he has become as annoyingly preachy as a bible basher. He is like a teenager gleefully telling small children that Santa is a lie. Let folk believe whatever gives them peace and helps them sleep at night.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Geraint Thomas our first TdF winner, what will he win next?
Cymru am byth!

Sports Personality of the Year 2018 !!
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

merseymouth wrote:Plus 1 for Durham Biker! Religions can be so divisive. MM

And political parties, and colour, and gender, and sex, ... et al....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
pwa wrote:Still flying in spite of what it does to the planet?

If you truly believe that not getting on a plane means your are not using planes .... then your deluded.
Use Amazon ?
Had a coffee to-day ?

Cycle to the shops to buy stuff that came by plane ... in plastic, from countries that imprison and kill Gay people .. and Christians...
We are all wound up in world trading .... and if you think aircraft are flying around with empty holds .... you need to do a reality check i'm afraid.

I don't use Amazon.
And I haven't flown for a long time. It must be getting on for seventeen years (rough guess) since I gave it up. You can bang on about climate change or you can fly but you can't do both unless you have very convenient mental compartmentalisation.
Yes, I drink (too much) coffee. Do they fly that in? Why? I'd have though shipping containers would be appropriate for that. (Edit: checked, and most coffee imported into Europe arrives as green beans in shipping containers, on ships)
Why assume you are the only one who thinks beyond the obvious? I do realise we all end up supporting things we don't like through our purchases, but I try. Where I suspect something is wrong I try. That is the best we can do.

You prefer stuff that's imported on these filthy , polluting things?

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/car ... pollution/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
Use Amazon ?
Had a coffee to-day ?

I don't use Amazon.

You prefer stuff that's imported on these filthy , polluting things?

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/car ... pollution/

Yep. Better than flying it. That is not to say that shipping is perfect, because it isn't. Buying local produce is the answer for some things, but for someone living in Wales locally sourced coffee grown are hard to find.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a lot of wind at sea, could ships use sails to harness it? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies