HPV history: Historical accounts of 1970s search for alternative energy (inc. renewed interest in HPVs)?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Sparkle Motion

HPV history: Historical accounts of 1970s search for alternative energy (inc. renewed interest in HPVs)?

Post by Sparkle Motion »

Hi

This may seem slightly OT, particularly for a first post to this forum, but it does have a cycling angle:

As I understand it the oil crisis in 1970s, combined with a belief that oil was running out, sparked a large amount of interest and research into alternative energy sources. As transport was then largely dependent on oil, part of this interest extended to a renewed focus on recumbent bikes and velomobiles because of the energy efficiency advantages offered by such designs. Again, my understanding is that this focus disappeared when the oil crisis passed.

My question is, can anyone point me to any books or websites that documented this period? No worries if not, I just thought that there might be someone here who might know given the role this period played in the history and development of human powered vehicles.

Thanks!
ICE Adventure HD recumbent trike
WorkCycles Double-Tube Transport city bike
Past owner of HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GT recumbent bike
Cyril Haearn

Re: HPV history: Historical accounts of 1970s search for alternative energy (inc. renewed interest in HPVs)?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Richards Bicycle Book, maybe and other books and mags by from that period of renaissance in cycling :?

A lot of old newspapers are searchable online, try the Guardian

The CAT at Pantperthog was started in that period, Prince Charles was involved

Mick Burrows was making HPVs many years ago

In Germany there were restrictions on motoring (Sonntagsfahrverbot), people who were around then have good memories of empty Autobahns, +1

No talk of doing anything like that now, I guess many people were scared and shocked back then, now they jet around the world to endless conferences, doing nothing and talking about it :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Graham

Re: HPV history: Historical accounts of 1970s search for alternative energy (inc. renewed interest in HPVs)?

Post by Graham »

Cyril Haearn wrote: . . . . No talk of doing anything like that now, I guess many people were scared and shocked back then, now they jet around the world to endless conferences, doing nothing and talking about it :(

I dunno . . . it seems that the motoring pundits are beginning to nearly wet themselves with excitement if an electric vehicle manages to over 5 miles per Kwh.
Just think what an electrically-assisted HPV could do - without all the crash-proof, body armour and the requirement to achieve speeds in, mentally-deranged, excess of conventional speed limits.

We might not be able to get rid of the need for crash-proof, body armour while the silly monkeys are in the driving seat. However, if self-driving techno moves towards a sufficiently mature state, then perhaps the heavy armour-plating becomes superfluous ?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this is interesting
https://www.slideshare.net/slidenbg/recumbent-bicycle-history-1965-to-2000
if both incomplete and somewhat US-centric

This machine hails from the 1970s

I first saw this photo on a blog and I'm dashed if I can find the right blog now....grrr… should have bookmarked it...

[edit it is a Velerique, made in the UK from 1972 until the 1980's. This is the blog I saw it first on; http://mysolarelectriccargobike.blogspot.com/2014/03/bicycle-bodywork-13-form-factor.html]

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Away from home, so no access , but try googling Gunnar Fehlau, author of number of books on HPVs, and at one point had a CD published with ALL the current HPVs (early 80’s)
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Cyril Haearn wrote:No talk of doing anything like that now, I guess many people were scared and shocked back then, now they jet around the world to endless conferences, doing nothing and talking about it :(
IIRC, the issue in the 70s was the lack of fuel - an immediate problem, affecting all and sundry: viz power cuts, queues for petrol, motorway 50mph limits. Whereas now the problem, the effect of anthropomorphic climate change, is predominantly 'in the future', will initially affect sections of society in a gradual manner, so can be conveniently ignored, despite the fact that it is today's actions that will shape the future, probably irreversibly.
"42"
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Shortage of fuel?
Or fear of shortage? Or fear of fear of shortage, uncertainty driving prices up?

I understand there are strategic reserves kept now, just in case, but a bit secretly

There used to be stories about mothballed steam locomotives, no need for that now, there are hundreds of preserved engines that could be commandeered :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Cyril Haearn wrote:….There used to be stories about mothballed steam locomotives, no need for that now, there are hundreds of preserved engines that could be commandeered....

well maybe. Most preserved locomotives are effectively prohibited from running on main line track in 'normal service' because they lack all the modern electronic gear that makes for a safe railway these days. The recently constructed A1 'Tornado' was fitted with all that kit; it hugely increased the complexity of the locomotive, took ages to install, and cost a fortune. I don't think it would even fit onto a smaller locomotive, parts of it had to be shoehorned into the A1 design.

There are also issues with feeding the beasts; coaling and watering provisions mostly no longer exist.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

There are persistent rumours of a stock of mothballed steam locos in, under or near the now abandoned government nuclear shelter which is just to the side of Box tunnel on the Bath-Chippenham line. I'm sure they are just rumours though.