Down Side To Smart Meters..Before I sign Up

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Down Side To Smart Meters..Before I sign Up

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote:
Mick F wrote:The Southwest Water chappy 15 years ago - when there were mains water issues in the village - said to me that they wouldn't give planning permission for a house here these days as they couldn't provide a decent water supply.

When i lived in Plymouth, not far from Friary Station in a victorian terrace we had lead pipes delivering our water. They didnt upgrade to copper until i was in my teens - during the 1960's. Perhaps they havent got as far as gunnislake yet. You may even be relying on Drakes leat. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q7jlpJxxhE

Iron pipework.
Rust in the system.

They injected some sort of plastic coating into the pipes to seal them. The job took weeks as they isolated lengths of pipework to do it right through.
We still have reddy brown deposits from time to time in our hot water system as no doubt it's settled in the bottom of the hot water tank. Not seen any deposits for a couple of months, but even though the job was done 15 years ago, it's took it's time to finally clean out.
Mick F. Cornwall
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

One of my customers just paid a heavy price for his smart meter installation yesterday:

1. When the meter installer turned the power back on he managed to blow the boiler PCB. Maybe just bad luck, but the PCB would have probably carried on quite happily without this intervention.

2. The incompetent meter installer mistakenly mistook a slight mark on the wall near the ROOM SEALED modern boiler for combustion spillage and capped off the house gas supply. Any experienced gas engineer would be able to tell that this mark was just the usual faint marking that is caused by warm air from heating pipes circulating up the wall. The sort of thing you see above radiators.

My customer is now £400 worse off this morning.
rjb

Post by rjb »

rjb wrote:Direct Debits aren't all perfect. My dual fuel provider has hiked my Direct Debit payment with out consulting me as they quote " expect me to use more fuel over the winter". They ignore my readings and the meter reader readings and over estimate my consumption. Several small energy firms are going bust as they have to purchase their energy on the spot market and their business model hasn't allowed for the recent price increases. I suspect mine may be going the same way and they are trying to maximise their income now by overcharging their customers to keep themselves afloat :(
Its "One select" if anyone wants to avoid them, but I am tied into a 12 month deal. :(

As predicted they went bust. Heard today on moneybox Radio 4. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

What times moneybox on? I listened to 'You and yours' after reading Mick F's post but it's not all that good. He's not got a BBC licence so he shouldn't be listening to it really.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

philvantwo wrote:What times moneybox on? I listened to 'You and yours' after reading Mick F's post but it's not all that good. He's not got a BBC licence so he shouldn't be listening to it really.

You don't need a licence to listen to the wireless.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
rjb

Post by rjb »

Here's a link to today's programme. No licence required. :lol:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001lv7
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

On line radio in the house usually R4 and often Radio Cornwall.
Car has DAB usually R4 but if Mrs Mick F is in the car driving, she listens to R2.

No TVL required to listen to the radio these enlightened days.
Mick F. Cornwall