Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
landsurfer

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by landsurfer »

cycleruk wrote:I am struggling to do 100 miles/month at the moment :(

I'm struggling to do "Miles" / month at the moment ... :(
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
flash wrote:OK, anyone fancy LEJOG off road next year? I have seen a route but have no idea how I'd navigate it or any of the practicalities worked out as carrying stuff off road would be a killer. Apart from that, it's as good as planned....and obviously I'm thinking fixed gear Karate Monkey....

Can you post the link to the route?
What percentage is not tarmac.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

landsurfer wrote:
cycleruk wrote:I am struggling to do 100 miles/month at the moment :(

I'm struggling to do "Miles" / month at the moment ... :(

I'm just struggling.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
flash

Post by flash »

And now I can't find where I stored the LEJOG MTB route on my computer, I found an interesting article by someone who rode it. He destroyed 1 bike and seems to have found it challenging.......
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

flash wrote:And now I can't find where I stored the LEJOG MTB route on my computer, I found an interesting article by someone who rode it. He destroyed 1 bike and seems to have found it challenging.......

Two lads did it in 23 days 1,201 miles 13000ft route is on Waitrose .com site google is your friend.
I looked at it for the wimps but twenty three days was to long :D
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
flash

Post by flash »

Thank you.....
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My target ..... who's coming ...

https://www.pancelticrace.com

Short route ... looking for a partner ... soon .. need to enter.
If no one up for it by the 1st Jan 2019 then i will enter as a solo, expression of interest already posted.
Be more Mike.
flash

Post by flash »

That looks interesting......I'll look at it properly over the next few days....
RickH

Post by RickH »

landsurfer wrote:My target ..... who's coming ...

https://www.pancelticrace.com

Short route ... looking for a partner ... soon .. need to enter.
If no one up for it by the 1st Jan 2019 then i will enter as a solo, expression of interest already posted.

Sounds an interesting ride but not only is it helmets compulsory but also a rear light on night AND DAY plus mandatory high visibility clothing (without specifying what they mean - meeting a recognised standard?) at night. (Link)
2. Be Seen, Be Safe We want you to be visible to other road users at all times, in all conditions. Think “lit up like a Christmas tree” and “Sticking out like a sore thumb”! Rear lights are be used and functioning throughout the entire race. Day and night. Front lights are to be used at dusk, night and at any other time that the rider deems it necessary. High visibility clothing is mandatory at night and recommended during the day...

6. Helmets ON! Unfortunately, the Pan Celtic Race will not be accepting top hats, bowlers, deer stalkers, bear skins, stove pipes, fedoras or sombreros as appropriate level of head protection during the ride (though the person who wears any of the listed hats at the finishers party will get a free pint courtesy of the Pan Celtic Race).

Not quite sure what they mean in rule 9 either - presumably race accident insurance of some sort?
9. Insurance It is an unavoidable factor of the modern world. Appropriate level of rider insurance is mandatory and without you having it, we wouldn’t be able to run the race. It is peace of mind for your loved ones.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Not really sure why any of the points you raise should be a problem. I do'nt normally wear a helmet but why not, as with most sportives these days its a rule of entry, if you don't agree don't enter .. your choice. If you have a rear light is it any heavier if its turned on ? I already have cycling insurance, personal and 3rd party, and most of my cycling kit has hi-viz stripes in already .... :)
My current main issue is being 20kg over weight and 60. But i always work better with a target .....
Be more Mike.
flash

Post by flash »

David, it's probably not for me. Although bizarrely I've almost done the same sort of ride but the other way and on a motorbike.
How many miles per day are you thinking? How would you manage the practicalities, where would you stay and move stuff....
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Thats the point Pete ... I've never gone that way before ... planning and stuff i am good with ... but the milages to be ridden are long but i'm probably going to be better by myself ... 10 mile an hour for 10 hours is a long way .... in a day ... the unsupported thing ... is something i have always wanted to do ... Jules is with me on this ... just doing dinner back in a moment.....
Be more Mike.
flash

Post by flash »

Have you forgotten the easy way to spot the unsupported Riders on LEJOG? They were the ones riding very slowly and looking very miserable........ :lol:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

flash wrote:Have you forgotten the easy way to spot the unsupported Riders on LEJOG? They were the ones riding very slowly and looking very miserable........ :lol:

And often heading the wrong way ....... Pitlochry ....!

60 is the new mid life crisis i think ... I need targets in my life ... don't always achieve them but to try and fail is a lot better than not trying at all ... there's a famous quote in there somewhere ... Had a target of doing the Munros, in winter, in 5 years .... took 8 ... so i failed to reach my target .. or did I..
This is something i want to do ....
Be more Mike.