Chrimbo plans

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4539
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Chrimbo plans

Postby foxyrider » 14 Dec 2018, 4:17pm

I've just spent several hours cleaning/servicing/packing my Airnimal Chameleon ready to travel out to Austria for Christmas. All being well i'll get up to 4 rides in based around the Rhein and Ill valleys, maybe a couple of pass ascents and up to four countries. When I get back i've then got my New Years Day amble out into the Peak District to look forward to.

That's me sorted with something a bit different across the festive period but how about the rest of you? What are people doing bike wise over the festive period? Do you have a ride tradition? Meet friends? Or are you planning something a bit different?

Don't be shy, share with the rest of us.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

drossall
Posts: 4595
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 10:01pm
Location: North Hertfordshire

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby drossall » 14 Dec 2018, 8:57pm

Club Boxing Day 10-mile "race". The prize is awarded on a system known only to the scorer, and not understood even by him. Age of bike and rider come into it somewhere, with bonus points for solid tyres, time taken to get around the course being of only passing interest. Riding the least suitable machine possible is encouraged, and one year someone ran the course instead. I think we've variously had the odd unicycle, a triplet, a Chopper and some machines at least 100 years old; no comment on the riders.

Other local clubs take part and join us for lunch afterwards, with funds raised going to charity.

Disclaimer: I'm riding (after a fashion) but take no credit for the organisation.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 2986
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby PDQ Mobile » 14 Dec 2018, 9:38pm

foxyrider wrote:I've just spent several hours cleaning/servicing/packing my Airnimal Chameleon ready to travel out to Austria for Christmas. All being well i'll get up to 4 rides in based around the Rhein and Ill valleys, maybe a couple of pass ascents and up to four countries. When I get back i've then got my New Years Day amble out into the Peak District to look forward to.

That's me sorted with something a bit different across the festive period but how about the rest of you? What are people doing bike wise over the festive period? Do you have a ride tradition? Meet friends? Or are you planning something a bit different?

Don't be shy, share with the rest of us.

Did you check the forecast?
Pass ascents??

I think I'll stick to the Wild West. (Where it may also snow)

I always used to climb something hilly on Boxing Day to eat Xmas cake on a summit, but my old partner no longer can manage.

I base such a decision as to where to go on the weather. Is it likely to be better, coast or inland, North, East or West?; for the topographic effect can be most pronounced.
Inevitably then a short term decision, West Coast weather being what it is.

But Xmas itself I prefer quiet, it is usually the quietist day of the year.
Good home grown nosh, good fire etc. just feed animals nothing more.

Many years ago I went on Xmas eve to pick up a scrap vehicle - last job of the year.
A high farm, and a bitter wind, some snow lying.
After doing the said business the old farmer said "come and look at this boys".
We enterered an old stone byre, really warm in comparison to outside. A naked cobwebbed light bulb giving a little dim light.
Deep strawed down were two new born twin calves healthy and contented with their proud Mum safe from the cold storm.
I never forgot that picture.

eileithyia
Posts: 7787
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby eileithyia » 15 Dec 2018, 8:27am

We often do a Xmas day ride over to a local pub for a lunch time drink, usually take a couple of mince pies with me... Boxing Day local 10tt.
Try to do Rapha 500 challenge, but might not make it this year due to other plans;

Old wooden shed is starting to rot, and for various reasons need a bit more garage space. So next week a skip is being delivered, some accumulated stuff and stuff not sold at local cycle jumble to be skipped along with old shed, new larger plastic (life time guarantee shed) was delivered yesterday (despite delivery instructions to be delivered w/c17th) ready to be erected in the space left by the old shed and the even older small shed I inherited when i bought the property, but died a few years ago...
Him indoors has 11 days off over the holiday for it all to be sorted.... though a couple of weeks ago he was musing about warmer climes for Xmas, until I reminded him of his grand alternative plans for Xmas.... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

ambodach
Posts: 846
Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 6:45pm

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby ambodach » 15 Dec 2018, 12:56pm

If the wind ever falls enough for a ferry to sail I go to stay with a son and family for a week. Taking the Brompton and GTech ebike and will use whatever the weather suits best up Loch Etive but if icy the cycle paths heading north will not be gritted so too dodgy till I get my recumbent.

User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 2166
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby TrevA » 15 Dec 2018, 4:30pm

I'm hoping to do the Rapha Festive 500, 500 km over 9 days, so not too onerous provided you can get out every day. I've managed it once but failed miserably last year as the weather was just too bad. Not going away at all and I'm off from the 22nd to the 2nd, so plenty of opportunity to ride.

We also have the Boxing Day 10, but I normally do the timekeeping for it.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

eileithyia
Posts: 7787
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby eileithyia » 15 Dec 2018, 10:40pm

TrevA wrote:I'm hoping to do the Rapha Festive 500, 500 km over 9 days, so not too onerous provided you can get out every day. I've managed it once but failed miserably last year as the weather was just too bad. Not going away at all and I'm off from the 22nd to the 2nd, so plenty of opportunity to ride.

We also have the Boxing Day 10, but I normally do the timekeeping for it.


Tis 40 miles/day, I know only too well how difficult it can be to do esp as for the last few years we have had gusty strong winds and rain. I know my final ride last year was in pouring rain and t'other half met me at the cafe with a complete change of clothes... Have failed in previous years due to awful weather and fitting around work. I do think riders in countries with more ambient climates should have to do bigger miles. First time we completed it we were in Mallorca for a few days between Xmas and NY, going out everyday in warm sunny climes is so much easier than in the wind and rain.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 2166
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby TrevA » 15 Dec 2018, 10:46pm

eileithyia wrote:
TrevA wrote:I'm hoping to do the Rapha Festive 500, 500 km over 9 days, so not too onerous provided you can get out every day. I've managed it once but failed miserably last year as the weather was just too bad. Not going away at all and I'm off from the 22nd to the 2nd, so plenty of opportunity to ride.

We also have the Boxing Day 10, but I normally do the timekeeping for it.


Tis 40 miles/day, I know only too well how difficult it can be to do esp as for the last few years we have had gusty strong winds and rain. I know my final ride last year was in pouring rain and t'other half met me at the cafe with a complete change of clothes... Have failed in previous years due to awful weather and fitting around work. I do think riders in countries with more ambient climates should have to do bigger miles. First time we completed it we were in Mallorca for a few days between Xmas and NY, going out everyday in warm sunny climes is so much easier than in the wind and rain.


Yes, imagine doing it in Australia in glorious sunshine and 25 degrees!
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4539
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby foxyrider » 15 Dec 2018, 11:41pm

TrevA wrote:
eileithyia wrote:
TrevA wrote:I'm hoping to do the Rapha Festive 500, 500 km over 9 days, so not too onerous provided you can get out every day. I've managed it once but failed miserably last year as the weather was just too bad. Not going away at all and I'm off from the 22nd to the 2nd, so plenty of opportunity to ride.

We also have the Boxing Day 10, but I normally do the timekeeping for it.


Tis 40 miles/day, I know only too well how difficult it can be to do esp as for the last few years we have had gusty strong winds and rain. I know my final ride last year was in pouring rain and t'other half met me at the cafe with a complete change of clothes... Have failed in previous years due to awful weather and fitting around work. I do think riders in countries with more ambient climates should have to do bigger miles. First time we completed it we were in Mallorca for a few days between Xmas and NY, going out everyday in warm sunny climes is so much easier than in the wind and rain.


Yes, imagine doing it in Australia in glorious sunshine and 25 degrees!


Think my chances of doing it are quite slim, i'll be on a coach for two days which immediately ups the ante to 71 a day, allow for a couple of rest days and suddenly it's 100 a ride! I generally do at least that on a day ride but any bad weather and the short days could easily put a spanner in! Guess it will depend how I get on in Austria riding.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

eileithyia
Posts: 7787
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby eileithyia » 16 Dec 2018, 8:35am

TrevA wrote:
eileithyia wrote:
TrevA wrote:I'm hoping to do the Rapha Festive 500, 500 km over 9 days, so not too onerous provided you can get out every day. I've managed it once but failed miserably last year as the weather was just too bad. Not going away at all and I'm off from the 22nd to the 2nd, so plenty of opportunity to ride.

We also have the Boxing Day 10, but I normally do the timekeeping for it.


Tis 40 miles/day, I know only too well how difficult it can be to do esp as for the last few years we have had gusty strong winds and rain. I know my final ride last year was in pouring rain and t'other half met me at the cafe with a complete change of clothes... Have failed in previous years due to awful weather and fitting around work. I do think riders in countries with more ambient climates should have to do bigger miles. First time we completed it we were in Mallorca for a few days between Xmas and NY, going out everyday in warm sunny climes is so much easier than in the wind and rain.


Yes, imagine doing it in Australia in glorious sunshine and 25 degrees!


:D :D Oh bliss! One of the first years I signed up for it, conditions on Xmas Eve were similar to yesterday, extremely wet extremely windy, meanwhile someone in Singapore City had already completed it by riding at what appeared to be 19mph/av cycling around the city since midnight (or 00:01hours)!!!!! As I had to also get to work today, that was a first day fail for me.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

PH
Posts: 7578
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby PH » 16 Dec 2018, 11:01am

Weather permitting* - I'll have a go at the festive 500, it'll be my 8th go with 6 previous successes and one abandoned. I like to ride Christmas morning, on roads that I don't use much on any other day of the year. Then a Boxing day DIY 200 Audax will be the biggest ride, then a couple of CTC rides and it won't need much topping up.

* I don't ride on ice and snow, the one year I didn't complete the festive it snowed earlier than forecast and I was still 60km from home, bad planning meant no bail out and it soon stopped being fun! Those who haven't completed due to bad weather have relied on riding every day, it's a bit optimistic, longer rides on a choice of days (Which I know not every one has the option of) usually means it's achievable.
Last edited by PH on 16 Dec 2018, 11:07am, edited 1 time in total.

PH
Posts: 7578
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby PH » 16 Dec 2018, 11:03am

TrevA wrote:I'm hoping to do the Rapha Festive 500, 500 km over 9 days,

8 Days Don't want you failing for taking an extra day! Christmas Eve to new Years Eve, 24 - 31 Dec 2018 :wink:

Jon Lucas
Posts: 238
Joined: 6 Mar 2009, 6:02pm

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby Jon Lucas » 16 Dec 2018, 11:41am

Years ago we would go for a ride every Christmas Day, as you could rely on the roads being almost deserted, but it isn't like that now... And the Christmas Day weather does seem to have gone downhill of late. :(

For a while we arranged a ride around a Christmas meal - each course in a different person's house, with a few miles riding between each one. Might try to resurrect that one year, but this year we'll just be cycling to friends about 10 miles away.

PH
Posts: 7578
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby PH » 16 Dec 2018, 12:40pm

foxyrider wrote:Think my chances of doing it are quite slim, i'll be on a coach for two days

Maybe a subject for a different thread, but I'd be interested in your experiences of an Airnimal on a coach.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 2986
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Chrimbo plans

Postby PDQ Mobile » 16 Dec 2018, 1:08pm

Jon Lucas wrote:Years ago we would go for a ride every Christmas Day, as you could rely on the roads being almost deserted, but it isn't like that now... And the Christmas Day weather does seem to have gone downhill of late. :(

For a while we arranged a ride around a Christmas meal - each course in a different person's house, with a few miles riding between each one. Might try to resurrect that one year, but this year we'll just be cycling to friends about 10 miles away.


I agree about Xmas day weather.
I have memories of it being tranquil and bright, sunny even, with periods of unsettled weather either side.
Combined with that (earlier?) quiet, it lent the day a special feel.