DIY recumbent bike....?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: DIY recumbent bike....?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
No chance or any infringement on copyrights then........................... :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Handle bar angle on Bacchetta looks horrible - look at the wrist / forearm angle :shock: Isn't the idea to use a 'superman' type position?
(Speaking as a 'hamster'.)
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

He is stopped and holding up the Spruce Bruce...

The far hand looks a bit more natural, but still twisted at the wrist...

(Also a hamster or USS man)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I didn't think it was too bad really on the Bacchetta; it might perhaps turn uncomfortable after a few hours but it wasn't immediately bad. The bars can be adjusted to tilt downwards so that the wrists are at a better angle, but this does mean that you may hit them on your knees when starting and stopping more easily.

What you can't easily see in the pics is how wide the bars are on the Bacchetta; your hands arms and elbows are somewhat stuck out in the breeze, as it were. On the plus side there is a lot less tiller action in the steering, which makes it easy to steer, especially when riding it for the first time.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Brucey wrote:What you can't easily see in the pics is how wide the bars are on the Bacchetta; your hands arms and elbows are somewhat stuck out in the breeze, as it were.

That's 'cos yer legs are supposed to go between the grips ;)
Dave's review makes interesting reading.
"42"
stevegreen

Post by stevegreen »

May I revive this thread?

I would like to know what happened!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

what happened? Well my chum has ridden thousands of miles on his bacchetta (enough to wear all kinds of stuff out) and by contrast after a few hundred miles I decided recumbent cycling was quite interesting but not really my cup of tea after all. Habits of a lifetime and all that. I have a load of things that I might yet do to my 'horrible thing' but have yet to do many of them. I occasionally trip over the thing where is languishes and feel that I ought to get on with it, but thus far this sensation hasn't become strong enough for me to actually do those things....

cheers
stevegreen

Post by stevegreen »

Fair enough.
I recognise the feeling. I have a recumbent frame, but I also have a very nice diamond frame, made of metal, bike with lots of spokes and not too many gears. I ride the second bike...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

in fairness I fully intend to give it another go with a few changes such as an improved seat, and I built the thing with the view that I could modify it in various ways (to try stuff out) i.e. fit it with a different fork and a smaller front wheel etc if it turned out to be impractical as it was. Part of the reason for building it was so that I could experiment with riding position, train etc with a view to doing some racing, eventually on a different machine. However other things have put paid to the racing idea and until they are resolved, building/modifying further recumbents is arguably a bit pointless.

Oddly enough I have not long ago been offered a more 'user friendly' recumbent at a reasonable price and I might give that a go; if I don't get on with it I can sell it on easily enough, I am sure.

One thing I would note is that such machines are somewhat bulky, difficult to store/transport etc by comparison with a DF bike. Again one reason for building mine the way I did is that it ought to be easy enough to rework the frame so that it is foldable or separable. By contrast I would not be so happy cutting up and reworking a more expensive machine.

I can thoroughly recommend 'having a go' like I did; it was a very interesting project to do, as far as I took it. Doubtless I'll do more when the mood takes me.

cheers
rjb

Post by rjb »

Crikey is it the 1st April already! :lol:

Merry Christmas to you all. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
stevegreen

Post by stevegreen »

I fancy having a go at the Recycled Recumbents design.

Maybe next year, when I move to a new studio/ workshop...