Role model: who is yours?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Role model: who is yours?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread drift alert!

Geraint Thomas is the new role model for all sportspersons!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:I don't use Amazon.
I consider where my food comes from and buy accordingly.
She doesn't like cut flowers.
And I haven't flown for a long time. It must be getting on for seventeen years (rough guess) since I gave it up. You can bang on about climate change or you can fly but you can't do both unless you have very convenient mental compartmentalisation.
Yes, I drink (too much) coffee. Do they fly that in? Why? I'd have though shipping containers would be appropriate for that. (Edit: checked, and most coffee imported into Europe arrives as green beans in shipping containers, on ships)
Why assume you are the only one who thinks beyond the obvious? I do realise we all end up supporting things we don't like through our purchases, but I try. Where I suspect something is wrong I try. That is the best we can do.

(I made that little comment on 31July. What made you drag it up now? :lol: )

You prefer stuff that's imported on these filthy , polluting things?

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/car ... pollution/

Yep. Better than flying it. That is not to say that shipping is perfect, because it isn't. Buying local produce is the answer for some things, but for someone living in Wales locally sourced coffee grown are hard to find.

I'm not sure it is if what that article says is correct.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:
You prefer stuff that's imported on these filthy , polluting things?

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/car ... pollution/

Yep. Better than flying it. That is not to say that shipping is perfect, because it isn't. Buying local produce is the answer for some things, but for someone living in Wales locally sourced coffee grown are hard to find.

Well look at it this way Pete. The article suggests ways that moving stuff around by ship could be made less polluting, but it doesn't suggest taking all the stuff transported by ship and putting it on planes instead. Because that would increase carbon emissions enormously. But yes, ships are often dirty things that burn horrible fuel. Room for improvement.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:Yep. Better than flying it. That is not to say that shipping is perfect, because it isn't. Buying local produce is the answer for some things, but for someone living in Wales locally sourced coffee grown are hard to find.

Well look at it this way Pete. The article suggests ways that moving stuff around by ship could be made less polluting, but it doesn't suggest taking all the stuff transported by ship and putting it on planes instead. Because that would increase carbon emissions enormously. But yes, ships are often dirty things that burn horrible fuel. Room for improvement.

You seem to be against the pollution caused by transporting stuff all over the place. In your reply to Landsurfer you somewhat smugly pointed out that the imported stuff you like came by ship. I linked to that article to show that ships are vast polluters too. If you are concerned you should avoid stuff carried by sea as well. You're in Wales. Instead of drinking coffee drink the fine products of Felinfoel brewery.
As an aside I wonder how all the delegates at the Katowice climate change conference got there?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:

You seem to be against the pollution caused by transporting stuff all over the place. In your reply to Landsurfer you somewhat smugly pointed out that the imported stuff you like came by ship. I linked to that article to show that ships are vast polluters too. If you are concerned you should avoid stuff carried by sea as well.

Well I'm not going to tell you that you should do it this way, but what I do is avoid stuff that is probably flown, and buy relatively local stuff where possible. The latter reduces all transport, including ship. Some things that I really like, such as bananas and coffee, have to come a long way but are usually shipped rather than flown, and I accept the ship transportation because that is as far as my effort goes for now. I'd probably abandon those things if they had to be flown. I know ships are vast polluters, but that is partly because they are vast things carrying vast amounts in one go. Stick the contents of one mega-ship onto planes and the pollution would be greater. Of course ships are dirtier than they need to be, but the way forward is not to transport by air instead.

In the summer I hired a canal boat for a week. When mooring I often pushed and pulled the boat by hand to get it exactly where I wanted it. It weighed 17 Tonnes and it was fairly easy to shift. In principle water transport is a pretty efficient way of moving heavy stuff around. But it needs to be done better.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
In the summer I hired a canal boat for a week. When mooring I often pushed and pulled the boat by hand to get it exactly where I wanted it. It weighed 17 Tonnes and it was fairly easy to shift. In principle water transport is a pretty efficient way of moving heavy stuff around. But it needs to be done better.

Yes it doesn't take much effort to move about in a flat calm on sheltered inland waters. Try it against waves, wind and sometimes tide on the open sea and it's a different matter.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Thread drift alert!

Who ?

J.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pwa wrote:In the summer I hired a canal boat for a week. When mooring I often pushed and pulled the boat by hand to get it exactly where I wanted it. It weighed 17 Tonnes and it was fairly easy to shift. In principle water transport is a pretty efficient way of moving heavy stuff around. But it needs to be done better.

Apparently you can do this with ships as large as a destroyer. Another fact from the New Scientist - they published a series of books years ago with the best of their Q&A, with titles like 'How to fossilise your hamster'. At one time they had all four or five for sale as a pack. Too late for me, I had them all by then. But excellent reading for nerds!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Thread drift alert!

Who ?

J.

Geraint The Helmet, an emblem of how everyone can be a Huge Success just by riding their bike very hard in the right place. It's a wonder we all aren't greatly popular cycling millionaires, really. If only the undeserving poor would copy Geraint, everything would be wonderful and we could all win the Tour de France and be Best Circus Performer of the Moment!

Mind, those ne'er-do-wells complaining about having to go to the food bank could do worse than copy that Greesy-Mogg instead. If everyone started their own hedge fund, we'd all be billionaires within a matter of days! Top hat makers would also benefit.

Anyroadup, it's wonderful to see the Incredibly Lucky get feted and rewarded even more. They are an example to all of us and we should be ashamed we aren't like them.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
hondated

Post by hondated »

beardy wrote:The late Brian Haw was a man who stayed and did what was right when the rest of us went home.

Definitely agree. Met his equivalent who's camped outside the Whitehouse a month or so ago.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ben@Forest wrote:
pwa wrote:In the summer I hired a canal boat for a week. When mooring I often pushed and pulled the boat by hand to get it exactly where I wanted it. It weighed 17 Tonnes and it was fairly easy to shift. In principle water transport is a pretty efficient way of moving heavy stuff around. But it needs to be done better.

Apparently you can do this with ships as large as a destroyer. Another fact from the New Scientist - they published a series of books years ago with the best of their Q&A, with titles like 'How to fossilise your hamster'. At one time they had all four or five for sale as a pack. Too late for me, I had them all by then. But excellent reading for nerds!

A pack of books or a pack of fossilised hamsters? :wink:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pwa wrote:Well I'm not going to tell you that you should do it this way, but what I do is avoid stuff that is probably flown, and buy relatively local stuff where possible. The latter reduces all transport, including ship. Some things that I really like, such as bananas and coffee, have to come a long way but are usually shipped rather than flown, and I accept the ship transportation because that is as far as my effort goes for now. I'd probably abandon those things if they had to be flown. I know ships are vast polluters, but that is partly because they are vast things carrying vast amounts in one go. Stick the contents of one mega-ship onto planes and the pollution would be greater. Of course ships are dirtier than they need to be, but the way forward is not to transport by air instead.

A couple of Norwegian companies are working on an electric cargo ship. https://www.electrive.com/2018/08/21/au ... ast-video/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad has a piece by Paul Mills, deputy chief Constable of Wiltshire, about the nerve-gas attack in Salisbury
Wiltshire only has 950 cops, so 700 more were provided by other forces, for a while no-one knew what they were dealing with
Fortunately Porton Down is nearby, a mysterious 'Professor Tim' there helped
Plus One for the cops who risk their lives and health for us
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lance Dopestrong, sorry armstring, used to be a role model, doubtless for many on here
I well remember throwing his book into the recycling container :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Lance Dopestrong, sorry armstring, used to be a role model, doubtless for many on here
I well remember throwing his book into the recycling container :wink:

Me too. :lol:
I took it as a lesson in being more careful about having heroes.