How to seat a tubeless tyre?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Dave W

Re: How to seat a tubeless tyre?

Post by Dave W »

You can try popping a tube in, inflate the tyre to seal the beads then deflate and remove the tube by braking the seal on one side only. If you can get the tyre to seal deflate again carefully and remove the valve core to pour the sealant in. I bought a beto tank - dead easy.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Brucey wrote:car tyres that are too narrow for the rim are often seated by using one of these

works a bit like an airshot but holds five gallons of air at >100psi and is applied between the rim and the tyre bead.

One of the craziest schemes I have seen for bicycle tyres is to hook up a CO2 fire extinguisher directly (i.e. without any regulator) to a bicycle tyre using a track pump hose. This will definitely push a tyre onto its seat..... but the contents of the fire extinguisher are likely to be between about 10 and 60 bar (depending on fill and temperature) so if the valve is opened for a fraction of a second too long something may get blown to bits. A pressure relief valve would seem like a good idea. Obviously an empty fire extinguisher may well make a good bottle for a DIY workshop airshot.

You can also make a DIY 'airshot' using a 2 litre coke bottle.

cheers

.... or someone
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is all another bit of new technology which arrived too late for me, but I'll stick my neck out and suggest that that Topeak pump looks ideal for the needs of the ordinary rider, although at £100+ it's hardly cheap. Topeak is a reliable make and this seems to have been devised for this purpose. For the ordinary user, I expect that seating a tyre will be an occasional task, so there's no need for bulky equipment, especially kit that hasn't been designed with this in mind and so may need extra skills and precautions.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

offroader

Post by offroader »

Milkit Booster is the (Sig type) water bottle adapter thingamabob that Brucey mentioned earlier in the thread

Never used, or even seen, one but it looks a good idea - although google suggests that there was a safety recall on the first ones so approach with caution seems a prudent move

Cheers