Carol Boardman death - case sent for trial

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Carol Boardman death - case sent for trial

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The utility cyclist wrote:
yakdiver wrote:I think we should all know by now the the British justice system is rubbish as the criminal has more rights then the victim, but one of the main reasons IMO there are not enough prisons for our growing population and it is easier and cheaper to give lighter sentences.

The civilised thing to do as well as the most cost effective is to bring back capital punishment for crimes like this (amongst others), it might actually change the thinking of some (not all obviously), it'll avoid having to spend billions on the prison service and remove serious/serial criminals from society, less harm to everybody and money spent elsewhere where it is needed far more, win/win situation.

Not capital punishment, killing, but I do think there might be a case for corporal punishment, the bullies might understand that
Of course the focus should be on prevention!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Re: So what will he be charged with?

Post by mjr »

landsurfer wrote:
the snail wrote:It's about the standard of driving rather than the danger to others - driving of a standard worse than that of a competent driver is careless, driving far below that standard is dangerous driving. In non-legal speak, either is dangerous. I think there's a good case for getting rid of the dangerous/careless distinction, and letting the magistrate/judge decide the seriousness of the offence when sentencing

Can you give us a link to the Competent Licensed Driver Standard please .. i will be a BS or EN standard ... of course i don't expect you to do that ..lets leave competency management to the professionals ...

The standard is set by DVSA not BS or EN and is at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-st ... category-b
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The utility cyclist wrote:Please explain why?
Those who cause massive and wide reaching harm to a society and for years/whole lifetimes should be removed from society so that that society can live in a better way and feel less at threat of continuous harm. It's about best for the whole not pandering to sick and disgusting individuals who can't abide by the rules and destroy not just individuals lives but destroy the fabric of societies and have a massive negative effect on everyone!

If you didn't already know,capital punishment is final,so when you get the wrong person for any given capital crime you become the murderer.
And if it's a life for a life,the criminal is more likely to kill any witness to their crime as they've nothing to lose.
It also leaves no room for rehabilitation of the offender.

I don't believe in soft options for serious offendering ,quite the contrary,but when you post of capital punishment for what amounts to death by dangerous driving I wouldn't want to live in your world,as it's far removed from my idea of civilisation
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Half-seriously, perhaps criminals could be deported to Van Diemens Land, Australia, the weather is awful, cyclists have to wear h*****s, politrickians down there seem to be very argumentative :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
Those who cause massive and wide reaching harm to a society and for years/whole lifetimes should be removed from society so that that society can live in a better way and feel less at threat of continuous harm. It's about best for the whole not pandering to sick and disgusting individuals who can't abide by the rules and destroy not just individuals lives but destroy the fabric of societies and have a massive negative effect on everyone!

If you didn't already know,capital punishment is final,so when you get the wrong person for any given capital crime you become the murderer.
And if it's a life for a life,the criminal is more likely to kill any witness to their crime as they've nothing to lose.

I don't believe in soft options for serious offendering ,quite the contrary,but when you post of capital punishment for what amounts to death by dangerous driving I wouldn't want to live in your world,as it's far removed from my idea of civilisation

My wife knew a young lad who killed a couple of his mates by driving into a dry stone wall late at night. He was driving dangerously, by anyone's standards. He survived but needed weeks in hospital. When he came out he obviously felt ashamed but the bereaved families wouldn't let him say sorry. He was prosecuted and went to prison. Imagine that, at the age of about 19 when other kids are going to university. The feeling of guilt, your world suddenly dark and hostile, and prison. No going to university, a criminal record to blight your life, and the endless feeling that you wish you could rewind and do it all differently. Can you imagine executing that young lad, dreadful though his crime was?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

My wife knew a young lad who killed a couple of his mates by driving into a dry stone wall late at night. He was driving dangerously, by anyone's standards. He survived but needed weeks in hospital. When he came out he obviously felt ashamed but the bereaved families wouldn't let him say sorry. He was prosecuted and went to prison. Imagine that, at the age of about 19 when other kids are going to university. The feeling of guilt, your world suddenly dark and hostile, and prison. No going to university, a criminal record to blight your life, and the endless feeling that you wish you could rewind and do it all differently. Can you imagine executing that young lad, dreadful though his crime was?

Quite understandable that the bereaved families did not want contact
Yet again, a decent society could prevent the likes of this by raising the driving age to 25* at least
Young people would have to travel less, use buses, but they would be alive
* 24 for girls maybe :?

Surely not many people would vote for capital punishment if there were a referendum, which God forbid. It was abolished by our elected representatives, Plus One!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: Can you imagine executing that young lad, dreadful though his crime was?

No I couldn't.
But in TUC's world he'd be murdered by the state for his crime,leaving no room for rehabilitation,though the present state of UK prisons there's not much rehab going on in there.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote: Can you imagine executing that young lad, dreadful though his crime was?

No I couldn't.
But in TUC's world he'd be murdered by the state for his crime,leaving no room for rehabilitation,though the present state of UK prisons there's not much rehab going on in there.

The tabloid media could take up the case and get the law changed to **prevent** such crimes!
Maybe the 'new' dm might be interested
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

reohn2 wrote:

Carol Boardman's killer is not in doubt, as it is for many, and just like others they have no value put on human life. We know this because despite the law, despite seeing various ads and news articles as we all have) about how people are being killed when motorists use mobile phones/drive distracted they still went ahead and did precisely that, they made that decision knowingly and with total disregard for life. On top of that they lied and attempted to pervert the cause of justice by covering up their crime. :twisted: The 'system' has already let them off from this disgusting aspect, precisely why has not being revealed, it's as if their is an agenda/external influence to reduce the seriousness of this matter!

These killers death should be final, it protects society from that individual ever doing it again. We have many situations were those that heinously break the rules get a slap on the wrist, we see such a this level kill or carry out acts that destroy lives, that not justs physically alters forever but also torture mentally individuals. This isn't restricted to the victim themselves it spreads like a cancer to many others, particularly the nearest and dearest.
The current system isn't working to prevent nor protect society as a whole, change is needed, these despicable human beings have no place in a society, not behind bars laughing at their 'punishment' (if indeed they get put behind bars at all!) having a lifestyle that hundreds of thousands in this country do not enjoy.
But let's carry on with the current system that currently acts as no deterrent whatsoever AND is extremely costly to give a life of riley for these types!
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

reohn2 wrote:

No I couldn't.

not murdered, punished for one of the worst crimes a human being can do, absolute disregard for another human beings life, punished that removes that threat to society, punished to such an extent it might actually make others think just that little bit more about breaking the law to an extent that we know kills hundreds of innocent people every year!
Why should the majority live in fear of these types of people every single day of our lives, it's not civilised at all!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for argument and opinion

I have read several times of drivers who kill, get their licences back and kill again, killing them would have prevented them killing someone else

Still against state killing, mind
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:If you didn't already know,capital punishment is final,so when you get the wrong person for any given capital crime you become the murderer.

Quite understandable that the bereaved families did not want contact
Yet again, a decent society could prevent the likes of this by raising the driving age to 25* at least
Young people would have to travel less, use buses, but they would be alive
* 24 for girls maybe :?

Surely not many people would vote for capital punishment if there were a referendum, which God forbid. It was abolished by our elected representatives, Plus One!

I think that this is an example where our representatives would be wise not to consult the electorate (there may have been other recent examples...)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Utility cyclist wrote:

These killers death should be final,

Death often is.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

The utility cyclist wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

No I couldn't.

not murdered, punished for one of the worst crimes a human being can do, absolute disregard for another human beings life, punished that removes that threat to society, punished to such an extent it might actually make others think just that little bit more about breaking the law to an extent that we know kills hundreds of innocent people every year!
Why should the majority live in fear of these types of people every single day of our lives, it's not civilised at all!

These people deserve punishment, but they are not another species. They are our brothers and sisters, our sons and daughters, and we do not live in a Taliban society that lops heads off. We are better than that.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Utility cyclist wrote:

These killers death should be final,

Death often is.

Or maybe not - who knows? John 11:25-26
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker