** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:I worked in criminal justice and after doing some work in the EU Enlargement Directorate ( which assisted potential members, mainly then the Balkian States to meet EU norms eg civilian run prisons) I was registered as an official expert so that I could work directly advising these countries.

Just another unelected bureaucrat, I'm afraid, daring to charge my expenses for travel.

Btw, Strasbourg Shuffle refers to the quite outrageous practice..

Plus One, like me you know quite a bit about the EU, unlike some on here :wink:
Plus Two for helping enlarge the EU, civilian-run prisons

Minus One for the Strasbourg Shuffle, someone should have thought of siting the Parliament in the UK :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi again,Maybe if the Brussells mob stop doing the "Strasborg Shuffle" I might concede that they listen, but until then I'll maintain the stance of saying that they are a few bricks short of a load.
Talk about rearranging the deckchairs after hitting the iceberg. IGICB MM

It is a disgrace to try to blame the recent attacks in Strasbourg on the EU! Are there no depths that Leavers will not plumb?

I think you know the answer to that one but just in case you don't it's no.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi again,Maybe if the Brussells mob stop doing the "Strasborg Shuffle" I might concede that they listen, but until then I'll maintain the stance of saying that they are a few bricks short of a load.

It is a disgrace to try to blame the recent attacks in Strasbourg on the EU! Are there no depths that Leavers will not plumb?

Unless I'm missing something, this is not a reference to the recent terror attack, which of course has nothing to do with the matter being discussed.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

pwa wrote:
mjr wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, this is not a reference to the recent terror attack, which of course has nothing to do with the matter being discussed.

Yes. I'm baffled to see the connection too. There will be ample opportunity after the vote on 14th Jan to bash the Leavers. Let's leave it till then. It is the festive season to be sure! :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The Strasbourg Shuffle is as I described a few posts up.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Now our drinking water is in danger....
"Another £400m will go to Defra, the environment department, for projects including ensuring clean drinking water, which the UK treats with chemicals and gases imported from the EU."
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:
mjr wrote:

Hmm. If that's the case, what's the iceberg?

Also, are the Strasbourg sessions such a big issue? It costs less than one week's real UK contributions (about 0.1% of the EU budget), getting lower all the time as more goes electronic, plus it puts the MEPs in a city formed by centuries of wars which might help focus their minds. It would be good if the UK Commons spent a week a month in Coventry or another war-scarred city!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Have to admit, I'd never heard of the "Strasbourg shuffle" - but is it so much worse than the Britisher Parliament decamping for their hols over the whole Xmas break when there's a whole lot of urgent work to be done?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:Have to admit, I'd never heard of the "Strasbourg shuffle" - but is it so much worse than the Britisher Parliament decamping for their hols over the whole Xmas break when there's a whole lot of urgent work to be done?

Appalling isn't it,the ship is heading for the biggest iceberg in the sea and those at the helm decamp for their hols.
It says a lot about those we entrust the running of the country to :? :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

reohn2 wrote:Appalling isn't it,the ship is heading for the biggest iceberg in the sea and those at the helm decamp for their hols.

Beyond belief.

Listening to the news last night was like a warning that we are preparing for war...

One thing is for sure, after this...(insert suitable word to describe)...the Conservative party will never again be able to claim they're the party of business.

John.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Appalling isn't it,the ship is heading for the biggest iceberg in the sea and those at the helm decamp for their hols.

Beyond belief.

Listening to the news last night was like a warning that we are preparing for war...

One thing is for sure, after this...(insert suitable word to describe)...the Conservative party will never again be able to claim they're the party of business.

John.

The Tory party is the party of self interest,end of.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Hobbs1951 wrote:Listening to the news last night was like a warning that we are preparing for war...

The situation we are in is quite remarkable.

May is now running down the clock in an attempt to force the decision to be between her "deal" or no deal.

Her "deal", lest we forget, is supported by almost no-one associated with the original leave campaign.

So we're in a position where a "deal" believed to impoverish us by the person advocating it is being imposed on us through manipulation of the timetable, for the one reason that it is the "will of the people" even though the very people who campaigned for Brexit do not support it!

Meanwhile the opposition continues to lie to us by pretending that they believe that they could negotiate a better deal.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:

Beyond belief.

John.

¤%*# Business is the phrase used by the more self serving of the Johnson brothers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Call me "Scrooge*" if you must - but when I was working I used to resent the fact that, come each December, we were expected to squeeze a month's work into half a month. But we didn't have the option: the place used to shut down for the beanos....

*(and a gentle reminder that, at the end of the book, Scrooge becomes a 'good guy' after all!)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello there, MJR is being very disingenuous is accusing me of linking the nasty situation with the mess that the E.U. cause.
My reference to the "Strasburg Shuffle" has nothing whatsoever to do with the terrible outrage that occurred there.
The "Strasburg Shuffle" is term to cover the monthly decampment from Brussells to Strasburg, requiring the movement of tonnes & tonnes of document, the ferrying of numerous staff, so that the French can have a share of the E>U> gravy train lolly.
So for three weeks in a sitting months business is conducted in Brussells, then for one week everyone & everything gets moved to Strasburg.
A waste of time and money.
I think an apology is due for you inappropriate slur! MM