'you're supposed to give way to cars'

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gbnz

Re: 'your supposed to give way to cars'

Post by gbnz »

kwackers wrote:It's not just bicycles, pedestrians too.

Hmm....I had the experience last Sunday of encountering two police officers who'd responded to a report of a dangerous pedestrian (Myself). I'd alledgedly walked alongside a road :shock:

Aside from the fact that the motorist reporting this dangerous incident was a full five miles out in respect to the reported location (Given it's a near empty part of the country, the officers in passing me had clearly recognised my description), I'd done nothing other than crossed a near empty A Road at a purpose built crossing (Nb. And walked some 20' along the grass verge due to the country lane on either side of the A Road being offset). Neither officer had an issue with it, clearly the motorist had.

At least I remembered not to call .......by his name when on duty :wink:
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

AMMoffat wrote:There is another one, sadly not enforced:

5) They drive in a considerate fashion in accordance with the rules of the road.

Quite.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

gbnz wrote:
kwackers wrote:It's not just bicycles, pedestrians too.

Hmm....I had the experience last Sunday of encountering two police officers who'd responded to a report of a dangerous pedestrian (Myself). I'd alledgedly walked alongside a road :shock:

Aside from the fact that the motorist reporting this dangerous incident was a full five miles out in respect to the reported location (Given it's a near empty part of the country, the officers in passing me had clearly recognised my description), I'd done nothing other than crossed a near empty A Road at a purpose built crossing (Nb. And walked some 20' along the grass verge due to the country lane on either side of the A Road being offset). Neither officer had an issue with it, clearly the motorist had.

At least I remembered not to call .......by his name when on duty :wink:

You just cant make it up can you, fancy walking by a road, you naughty Man.
Pat
[XAP]Bob

Re: 'you're supposed to give way to cars'

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I expect that every time I go to the states... often walk to local eateries etc. Never had anyone (other than hotel receptionists) hat an eyelid.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gaz

Post by gaz »

tykeboy2003 wrote:The law is quite simple, bicycle riders have an absolute right to be on the road, no if or buts.

Conversely a car driver has permission to use the roads provided that;
2) the vehicle is correctly registered and is roadworthy (must have an MOT certificate where applicable and all lights must be working - many fail on this one)

Hmm. If you are including requirements of the vehicle for car drivers then you should include them for cycle riders too.

Cycles also have to be roadworthy and to comply with RVLR. Many fail on this one at night, particularly with regard to the required reflectors and standards of lighting.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Patrickpioneer wrote:
Pat

It'd be nice to think of that motorist being called on by the police for wasting police time! It'd never happen (Nb. With a bit of luck, the motorist may have been caught in the major nine vehicle crash on Thursday - same spot, haven't heard of a pedestrian being involved yet!)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

gbnz wrote:
Patrickpioneer wrote:
Pat

It'd be nice to think of that motorist being called on by the police for wasting police time! It'd never happen (Nb. With a bit of luck, the motorist may have been caught in the major nine vehicle crash on Thursday - same spot, haven't heard of a pedestrian being involved yet!)

Did he have any special reason to report you, we're you carrying a big rucksack, do you have a beard, were you even singing? Seems to me reporting this and police action are comparable to racism, victimisation, bullying, hate crime
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
gbnz wrote:
Patrickpioneer wrote:
Pat

Did he have any special reason to report you, we're you carrying a big rucksack, do you have a beard, were you even singing? Seems to me reporting this and police action are comparable to racism, victimisation, bullying, hate crime

To be fair, police action amounted to a couple of officers at the end of a quiet Sunday afternoon having a drive over the moor. Thinking about it, their choice of route to the "crime scene" doesn't really make much sense and probably indicates a dead end of shift/desire for a nice drive response :? (Nb. I presume on passing me that ...... realized that it'd have been me that the complaint probably related to. I know half the local officers via work/social activities and I'll be one of 3-4 individuals who're known to cycle/walk everywhere - WE'RE KNOWN by bus drivers, delivery drivers, even the farmer on that moor road now raisees a hand - took about 8 years of walking past his farmyard daily!)
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Patrickpioneer wrote:Where do these myths come from?
Pat

The same source as the Dutch reach being mandatory morning exercises for residents of Holland, I would resume.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Here you are indeed required to give way to cars.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Whilst that is undeniably rubbish it does lack the "give way" marking.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Yes. Here's the other end, which is much the same.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.78687 ... 312!8i6656

The main thing is that the mandatory cycle lanes were installed in an attempt to keep riders in the gutter. All the restrictions on that bridge were introduced about 20 years ago when they discovered it was weak.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Oldjohnw wrote:One man said to me, "You have no rights on the road because you don't pay road tax."

Recognising the car he had (same as my own) I replied, "Neither do you". It worked and he drove away.

Awhile back a guy who'd been following me up the hill (cycling) stopped by me as I turned into my driveway me and said the same - quite rudely. Outside my own house. So I pointed out to him that
1) Using foul language in front of the two old ladies in the back of the car wasn't very nice
2) This particular road was maintained by the local council, not via road tax
3) I paid council tax on the building in front of us
4) And I pay road tax on both cars parked on the driveway as well
5) And finally, he was holding up all the traffic behind him!

Kwackers - if you are driving (or riding) and you turn a corner to find a pedestrian crossing the road, the pedestrian has priority. Its in the highway code somewhere. Apart from being simple courtesy and common-sense.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Why bother wasting breath on such idiots? It doesnt matter what you say, by engaging with them you're simply validating their stance.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.