replacing shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tempsperdu

replacing shifters

Post by tempsperdu »

I am replacing the SRAM Apex DT shifters and cables on my gravel bike over Christmas.
I have only ever done this with Shimano MTB builds so this is not familiar territory to me. Unwrapping bars to get at cables? :(
I do not seem to be able to find the fitting/set up instructions as per Shimano so if anyone can point me at the complete SRAM everything guide for eejits be most grateful.
Also what do they leave out that I need to know?
Thinking about derailleur/chain on cassette position is it hi or lo?
Just looked at the shifters and tried the gear shift but nothing happens regarding pulling the cable. Does the mechanism need some resistance or something to pull against to make it work? Or to put it another way the gear lever only moves to down shift nothing happening for up shift.
The shifters have a red sticker telling me to adjust for various things I dont understand but it looks like it could be cable pull?
Wish I had some instructions.
tatanab

Re: replacing shifters

Post by tatanab »

That confused me for a moment. DT usually means downtube, then it clicked that in this case it is Double Tap. You say you are replacing your double tap levers but have not told us what you are replacing them with, so guidance may be hard to come by.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Many shifters these days require strong mech springs to return them. This may be your problem.
tempsperdu

Post by tempsperdu »

Sorry its a like for like change over.
Itching to get my XT groupset on the bike but cant find a compatible drop bar brake/shifter.
hamster

Post by hamster »

You are stuffed as Shimano don't have interchangeability between road and MTB.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you are trying to fit SRAM parts go to the SRAM website and download the relevant pdf manual. It will tell you what to do.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tempsperdu

Post by tempsperdu »

Brucey wrote:if you are trying to fit SRAM parts go to the SRAM website and download the relevant pdf manual. It will tell you what to do.

cheers

Thanks but the SRAM tech stuff is really rubbish. It just goes off on a long description of how to install rim brakes under the Apex pdf.
Thinking about it perhaps I need to be looking at the derailleur installation because that is what it finally hooks up to.
Or might just buy some Jones Loops and go XT.