Need a new bike.. again.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Airsporter1st

Re: Need a new bike.. again.

Post by Airsporter1st »

Reverend wrote:
PH wrote:
Reverend wrote:What do you guys think about it?

It's the wrong bike for the job.

Why do you think so?

Canuk wrote:This Ribble 631 is a solid performing bike, with full Campagnolo Mirage triple group and good quality wheels for £230 - with offers. They would probably take 200 for it, and they say they will ship it any where in the UK for £20.

This would've been an expensive bike new, about £900 and it looks like its not had much serious use, the chainrings look hardly worn. I reckon the only thing you might need to change would be the tyres, but even these look in good nick. If you stated what size bike you were looking for it would help :wink:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2894291005

Will check it out but very interested in the current offer I received for £150 - if you guys think that bike is not too good, I will look into alternatives

Don't forget you will need to budget for shoes and cleats (or non-clipless pedals). Not sure how you will get on walking up and down drives, stairs etc. in them. That Triban bike is more of a racing bike, so hardly suitable for daily deliveries. It has no mudguards, so you are going to get wet(ter) and dirty whenever it rains.

With the greatest respect, I have difficulty understanding why you repeatedly post asking for advice and then ignore most of that which is given. I would suggest that you re-read and follow the advice given by the more experienced members (you can soon determine who they are by spending a few minutes reading their other posts - I am not one of them).
PH

Post by PH »

Reverend wrote:
PH wrote:
Reverend wrote:What do you guys think about it?

It's the wrong bike for the job.

Why do you think so?

It's a bike optimised for speed and if I were to write down the criteria you need for a delivery bike speed wouldn't even make it onto the first page. The only time speed is an advantage in this job is for the rider bragging. It's also a head down riding position, try that with a big bag on your back, firstly it isn't comfortable and more importantly it's severely restrict your ability to look behind you (Or maybe you're one of those riders who never does?)
You have a tight budget - I've no idea why, if you want to spend more just do some more work, my new bike was paid for with two extra shifts - and you already have a bike. So far you seem to be ignoring advice, wanting to buy a bike like the one you already have or something that for the purpose will be worse and require more maintenance.
My advice, fix the bike you have. There's no reason you can't be out earning on such a bike, plenty of people are. You've dismissed the idea of using a hire bike because you don't like the look of it, it's another criteria that doesn't belong on the list, and again plenty of people are out earning on them.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've told what I would do, already, but with a choice between the Ribble and the Triban, the Ribble is a far better bike. The *only* advantage the Triban has over the Ribble is that it is a bit cheaper. Some people might point out that the Campag will cost more to replace, which is true, but it will also last longer.

I'd want a bike with mudguards, but you can always put some raceblades on either the Triban or the Ribble.

You can use the bike youæve got to learn how to repair bikes for yourself. It's good to have a second bike, anyway, especially if your income depends on having wheels.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

scottg wrote:Not to the OP, but what is the modern version of a Golden Sunbeam,
with the 'little oilbath' chain case and hub or bracket gears.

A bike with a Rohloff Speedhub and a Hebie Chainglider. Expensive, but then so was the Sunbeam. The Chainglider doesn't have an oilbath but protects the chain from muck, and users swear by them.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vorpal wrote:I've told what I would do, already, but with a choice between the Ribble and the Triban, the Ribble is a far better bike. The *only* advantage the Triban has over the Ribble is that it is a bit cheaper. Some people might point out that the Campag will cost more to replace, which is true, but it will also last longer.

I'd want a bike with mudguards, but you can always put some raceblades on either the Triban or the Ribble.

You can use the bike youæve got to learn how to repair bikes for yourself. It's good to have a second bike, anyway, especially if your income depends on having wheels.

But as indicated, neither is really suitable. When I looked at the Ribble, this one popped up, and I think is more the kind of thing you should be buying:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinnacle-Lit ... 0005.m1851
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I've told what I would do, already, but with a choice between the Ribble and the Triban, the Ribble is a far better bike. The *only* advantage the Triban has over the Ribble is that it is a bit cheaper. Some people might point out that the Campag will cost more to replace, which is true, but it will also last longer.

But as indicated, neither is really suitable. When I looked at the Ribble, this one popped up, and I think is more the kind of thing you should be buying:

he'll struggle on an XL frame at 5'5"
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thelawnet wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

cf how I phrased it - I've put it in bold to assist :wink:
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Bonefishblues wrote:
thelawnet wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:But as indicated, neither is really suitable. When I looked at the Ribble, this one popped up, and I think is more the kind of thing you should be buying:

the problem is that bike is discounted so it won't be completely straightforward to find such a bike at that price in the right size. it would be more useful to link to a bike of the correct size or an undiscounted bike.

also it still seems to be a bit of a substandard spec tbh.

Unless you are getting something discounted such a bike will start around £300
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thelawnet wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
thelawnet wrote:

the problem is that bike is discounted so it won't be completely straightforward to find such a bike at that price in the right size. it would be more useful to link to a bike of the correct size or an undiscounted bike.

That's the problem with s/h and ex demo bikes isn't it, pesky things aren't available off the shelf until you look for them.

I wasn't looking for an argument you know - the OP seemed still not to be listening to advice, hence another attempt to steer towards a more suitable type of bike - I think that one's infinitely more suitable than Ribble/Triban road bikes for the purpose intended. I really don't think my finding a picture of it in XS/S/M/L/XL/XXL (delete as appropriate) would serve to illustrate that particular and very specific point any better.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Bonefishblues wrote:
thelawnet wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:cf how I phrased it - I've put it in bold to assist :wink:

That's the problem with s/h and ex demo bikes isn't it, pesky things aren't available off the shelf until you look for them.

I wasn't looking for an argument you know - the OP seemed still not to be listening to advice, hence another attempt to steer towards a more suitable type of bike - I think that one's infinitely more suitable than Ribble/Triban road bikes for the purpose intended. I really don't think my finding a picture of it in XS/S/M/L/XL/XXL (delete as appropriate) would serve to illustrate that particular and very specific point any better.

Ok but the problem it is it is still not very well suited. There are nasty gear shifters, a freewheel, the world's cheapest tyres, some un-named v-brakes that will quite likely need replacing at the cost of some £ in a few months, etc., etc.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thelawnet wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
thelawnet wrote:

Ok but the problem it is it is still not very well suited. There are nasty gear shifters, a freewheel, the world's cheapest tyres, some un-named v-brakes that will quite likely need replacing at the cost of some £ in a few months, etc., etc.

I bow to your obvious knowledge in these matters. I would point out I was illustrating the the TYPE of bike, not THE bike. I'm quite clear about that distinction, but happy to restate for complete clarity lest the OP, who links the bikes they are considering, might not also have understood. :D
PH

Post by PH »

thelawnet wrote:

It’s the exact bike I bought, linked on page 1. It came better than advertised, see original post. Perfecty fine for the job, mine has earned around £500 in the couple of weeks I’ve used it... have to dash just got an order
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PH wrote:
thelawnet wrote:

It’s the exact bike I bought, linked on page 1. It came better than advertised, see original post. Perfecty fine for the job, mine has earned around £500 in the couple of weeks I’ve used it... have to dash just got an order

So it is!

I bet you feel a fool now, buying it :wink:
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

PH wrote:
thelawnet wrote:

completely different bike I think....

It's actually better than advertised! Although it says ex demo, mine had never been ridden, the wheels didn't match (rims and tyres are different, front is nutted rear QR) the 7 speed freewheel turned out to be an 8 speed cassette and the twist shifters are triggers... All in all, it's a lot of bike for £160

that's a lot better....
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PH link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinnacle-Lit ... :rk:1:pf:0

My link:

Am puzzle...

Let's not make, to quote a currently favourite phrase, the perfect be the enemy of the good.