** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cunobelin »

Oldjohnw wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/23/police-probe-far-right-yellow-vest-group-anna-soubry?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Although originally posted in error, this incident raised some very interesting points about how Brexit is being hijacked and used by various right wing groups to support their causes

There wear claims and rumours at the start that there were elements of racism and "Nationalism" in the pro- Brexit camp, but these extremists are becoming more vocal
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mercalia wrote:
Canuk wrote:Tony Blair for leader of a unity government to sort this next agonising three months out!

wrong thread? should be in the Funniest clean joke I've heard recently thread?

+1
Can you tell me if the rest of the post from here Are just like this and I don’t need to read them, More hated than other any other p.m. by their own party, and that’s not a joke.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
mercalia wrote:wrong thread? should be in the Funniest clean joke I've heard recently thread?

+1
I thought the 'funniest clean joke' thread was meant to be a place for jokes. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

My own contributions to that thread may not be original, but at least they fit the thread title. Keep politics out of there please!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:More hated than other any other p.m. by their own party, and that’s not a joke.
And Theresa is.....?

Don't recall any '48 letters' concerning Mr Blair.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:More hated than other any other p.m. by their own party, and that’s not a joke.
And Theresa is.....?

You wouldn't because Labour required an alternative candidate to be nominated (which never happened to Blair), not only a Conservative-style negative vote: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5177180.stm
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Labour's system of leadership is different to that of the tories. He was, in the end, pressed to go.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
And Theresa is.....?

Viel Feind, Viel Ehr (German)
He who has many enemies, has many friends :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

Canuk wrote:At this late juncture (96 days to go) I really can't see Brexit happening. Either by hook or by crook, what's coming next is another general election or a referendum.

Here's the old fool Corbyn making sure a general election wouldn't settle anything...
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/21/jeremy-corbyn-labour-policy-leaving-eu
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:
And Theresa is.....?

Because He and Campbell would have called them something else and deny they had occurred

Of course a 69+ % in support being spun as more hated than any other PM would be typical of the Bliarite period... evidence that this is the case would be nice
Debs

Post by Debs »

mr bajokoses wrote:
Canuk wrote:At this late juncture (96 days to go) I really can't see Brexit happening. Either by hook or by crook, what's coming next is another general election or a referendum.

Here's the old fool Corbyn making sure a general election wouldn't settle anything...
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/21/jeremy-corbyn-labour-policy-leaving-eu

As someone who habitually votes tactfully against the Tories,
i can confirm i definitely won't be voting Labour while that idiot Corbyn is the leader.

Chuka Umunna would make a superb Labour leader. Maybe he will be one day?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Smartest thing for Chairperson May to do: call a GE, Laber wins, Jerry keeps his promise to leave the EU, Laber spends decades in the wilderness :?

The NPG, Natural Party of Government, takes over, leads the UK back into the EU :wink:

In 5-10 years we should be back to where we were before 2016
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The 48 is not a magic number. It's a percentage of the total of Tory MPs
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The NPG, Natural Party of Government, takes over, leads the UK back into the EU :wink:

That should be happening now, not in 5-10 years (or whatever).

We had a local Libdem activist ring our doorbell the other day. Mrs P told her, she's a signed-up member of the Greens (I'm not - I've not joined any politico party). Ms Libdem was quite nice about it - she said she's long been in contact with the local Green activist (whom we know) and they've agreed a no-competition pact - at least so far as Local elections are concerned. Whether this would translate to a GE, I wouldn't know.

Living as we do in leafy Sussex, SNP aren't really a factor - but they ought to be. Extend their domain south of the border. Why not? And then be part of the pact. I'm waiting!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Oldjohnw wrote:The 48 is not a magic number. It's a percentage of the total of Tory MPs

So is a majority of 83?

A few malcontents made a bid and lost... then showed their hypocrisy when claiming that over 60% in favour was not sufficient and she should still resign, yet 52% is an unequivocal mandate

This was an attempted political coup, not a confidence vote
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The NPG, Natural Party of Government, takes over, leads the UK back into the EU :wink:

That should be happening now, not in 5-10 years (or whatever).

We had a local Libdem activist ring our doorbell the other day. Mrs P told her, she's a signed-up member of the Greens (I'm not - I've not joined any politico party). Ms Libdem was quite nice about it - she said she's long been in contact with the local Green activist (whom we know) and they've agreed a no-competition pact - at least so far as Local elections are concerned. Whether this would translate to a GE, I wouldn't know.

Living as we do in leafy Sussex, SNP aren't really a factor - but they ought to be. Extend their domain south of the border. Why not? And then be part of the pact. I'm waiting!

Must admit that I fail to see the correlation between General and Local elections.

Locally people are more likely to vote for an individual, than be Party based