assymetry police....

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Observed in Norfolk two weeks ago:

Nick
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In my dictionary (Chambers) pannier is defined as a basket for carrying bread - no mention of bike use. A couple of years ago some member of the royal family, possibly Camilla, was in collision with a cyclist. By the time the report had been sub-edited and mangled, the cyclist was an eccentric riding a bike fitted with bread baskets....(At least he had a well-balanced pair. 8) )
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

google imagines:

# outcropping to the sides of a dress or gown; a narrow farthingale.

# lidded wicker of canvas framed baskets mounted upon either side of a pack saddle and used to carry signal supplies and pyrotechnics

# either of a pair of bags or boxes hung over the rear wheel of a vehicle (as a bicycle)

# a large basket (usually one of a pair) carried by a beast of burden or by a person

# set of small hoops used to add fullness over the hips

# A pannier is a basket, bag, or similar container, carried in pairs either slung over the back of a beast of burden, or attached to a bicycle or motorcycle.

# Panniers or side hoops are women's undergarments worn in the eighteenth century to extend the width of the skirts at the side while leaving the front and back flat. This provided a flat panel where boldly scaled woven patterns or rich embroidery could be fully appreciated.

# A basket or bag fastened, often in pairs, to the back of a bicycle or horse; A hoop used to expand the volume of a woman's skirt
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ncutler wrote:google imagines:

# outcropping to the sides of a dress or gown; a narrow farthingale.

# lidded wicker of canvas framed baskets mounted upon either side of a pack saddle and used to carry signal supplies and pyrotechnics

# either of a pair of bags or boxes hung over the rear wheel of a vehicle (as a bicycle)

# a large basket (usually one of a pair) carried by a beast of burden or by a person

# set of small hoops used to add fullness over the hips

# A pannier is a basket, bag, or similar container, carried in pairs either slung over the back of a beast of burden, or attached to a bicycle or motorcycle.

# Panniers or side hoops are women's undergarments worn in the eighteenth century to extend the width of the skirts at the side while leaving the front and back flat. This provided a flat panel where boldly scaled woven patterns or rich embroidery could be fully appreciated.

# A basket or bag fastened, often in pairs, to the back of a bicycle or horse; A hoop used to expand the volume of a woman's skirt

Oooooooh.................... :? :shock: :D :) :( :o :lol: 8) :cry: :P :x :roll: :wink: :idea: :arrow: :?: :!:
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

DaveP wrote:No. Left external reproductive gland and left half of bosom typically hang lower.

I realised the other day that so does the left side of my pelvis. I don't think there's any fundamental reason for that though, I'm just standing lopsidedly
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

dan_b wrote:
DaveP wrote:No. Left external reproductive gland and left half of bosom typically hang lower.

I realised the other day that so does the left side of my pelvis. I don't think there's any fundamental reason for that though, I'm just standing lopsidedly

Probably explains why I always use my left foot as support when stationary! I do somtimes use the right to try and balance the wear on the cleats, but it feels wierd.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Mick F wrote:Can you get a penny farthing with a smaller front wheel and a hub gear? Sounds a good idea. Absolutely maintenance-free. No chain!

Basically, a front-wheel-drive bike?

like this Alpha Bantam, as used in this 2003 time trial?
Might be a bit on the expensive side.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

This is available for £150 with 700c front wheel
Mike F could you rebuild the front wheel with hub gears. I am not sure :?:
fossil

Post by fossil »

I am a follower of the god of symmetry :roll:
so i would put a pair of paniers on the back even if i only had enough brick's to fill one :twisted:
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Dont motorbikes and mopeds have chain drive on the left ? I think I've seen left drive bikes made up of mopeds with the engine removed. does it matter and does it affect riding in Australia ?
mhara

Post by mhara »

David Cox wrote:Dont motorbikes and mopeds have chain drive on the left ? I think I've seen left drive bikes made up of mopeds with the engine removed. does it matter and does it affect riding in Australia ?

All Australians are on the wrong side all the time anyway, no matter whether their chains are left or right.
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

mhara wrote:
David Cox wrote:Dont motorbikes and mopeds have chain drive on the left ? I think I've seen left drive bikes made up of mopeds with the engine removed. does it matter and does it affect riding in Australia ?

All Australians are on the wrong side all the time anyway, no matter whether their chains are left or right.

Eh? That must mean I was doing some *serious* misdemeanours last time I was driving over there... unless you mean something a bit deeper than driving?

Arthur
I make stuff, that's all.
mhara

Post by mhara »

Ambermile wrote:
mhara wrote:

Eh? That must mean I was doing some *serious* misdemeanours last time I was driving over there... unless you mean something a bit deeper than driving?
Arthur

Much, much, much deeper. Take cricket, for instance.

If we win the Ashes then they're on the wrong side because they lost. If they win the Ashes they're on the wrong side because they beat us. Simple really.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

andrew_s wrote:like this Alpha Bantam, as used in this 2003 time trial?
Might be a bit on the expensive side.

See?
Another of my "inventions" been done before!

Edwards wrote:This is available for £150 with 700c front wheel
Mike F could you rebuild the front wheel with hub gears. I am not sure :?:

Though this could do with a hub gear. Though I don't know how it could be done, perhaps Mr Rohloff would have something to say.
(At last! A good use for his over-complicated and eccentric gearbox!)
Last edited by Mick F on 13 Sep 2008, 9:33am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

mhara wrote:
Ambermile wrote:
mhara wrote:

Arthur

Much, much, much deeper. Take cricket, for instance.

If we win the Ashes then they're on the wrong side because they lost. If they win the Ashes they're on the wrong side because they beat us. Simple really.

Ah, I see. In that case I have to agree then :D
I make stuff, that's all.