Recumbent riding with prolapsed disc.

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
cyclop

Recumbent riding with prolapsed disc.

Post by cyclop »

My question is this.Does recumbent riding put less pressure on the lumbar discs compared to upright?
squeaker

Re: Recumbent riding with prolapsed disc.

Post by squeaker »

IME, yes! But suspect it depends upon your choice of upwrong and choice of recumbent: not all recumbent seats are comfortable (again, IME). There can be the added bonus of a gentle lumbar massage if you get it right - try some!
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Vertically - yes.
depends on the exact prolapse whether there will be seats which are uncomfortable
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Not sure of the exact nature of my back problem - just been in pain for the last 50yrs. What I do know is that the only time I am completely pain free is when I'm riding my recumbents. The hard-shell Speedmachine seat which has excellent lumbar support is my favourite.

I've also recently discovered that when I injure my back (which is the regular result of simple daily activities like lifting a bike onto a repair stand) an hours recumbent bike riding will always sort it out whereas pain killers, rest and physio generally fail.

But, of course check with your doctor first.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Thankyou.I tried a recumbent last year for a completely different reason but decided against it.Now ,it may be a case of recumbent or nothing due to ongoing sciatica,femoral nerve compression leading to rt quad weakness.Also looking at electric versions of the same.Cheers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Where are you based?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

Your welcome to come and have a seat on my Fuego. As others have said seats do vary.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

cyclop wrote:My question is this. Does recumbent riding put less pressure on the lumbar discs compared to upright?

Can you lie while propped up in bed watching a TV for a few hours without it making your back worse.
That's probably the closest I can think of reproducing being in the recumbent position.
Then there's only the slight twisting of your lower back while you pedal and any shock loads from going over bumps to take into account.

I'll admit that when my lower backs bad, it's less painful to cycle on my bent trike than it is to walk around.
But I can still twinge it if I move wrong on the trike.

Luck ............ :D
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Tigerbiten wrote:Can you lie while propped up in bed watching a TV for a few hours without it making your back worse.
Not sure that's a helpful analogy :shock: IME the best 'bent seats will fully support your lower and mid back, including providing appropriate lumbar support, not something you'd replicate in bed without an excessive number of pillows.. :roll:
"42"
neil earley

Post by neil earley »

Having had 6 ops on my back implants and spinal fusion ,used to ride 2 wheel bents now riding a Ice Sprint X with shimano steps e6000 e assist
Expensive but so worth it cant get comfortable with hard shell seat so going to buy mesh one.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Where are you Neil?
neil earley

Post by neil earley »

Hi Bob
Near Swansea
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

swscotland bentrider wrote:Your welcome to come and have a seat on my Fuego. As others have said seats do vary.

Thanks for the offer.I need to convince myself of the necessity to go down the the bent route.I,ve tentatively gone out on the upright for 20 mins and will persist until it proves counter productive.I think an electric trike will be a last chance saloon for me.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

Have used an upright tourer along with my 'bents for several years. Certainly on hillier routes it works well. Last year though I found myself without a bent and turned back to uprights for all my riding. However I did miss the bent, especially for touring. Apart from the comfort I missed the view you get from facing forward. So this autumn I bit the bullet and bought a Fuego frameset. Ive had one before and as an all rounder it is hard to beat. Im coming to the end of the build and planning to use it on this years European tour.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

The HPV body link seat is good for backs as it’s adjustable, best person to talk to would be a Kevin at DTEK very knowledgeable on bad backs and bents, he also has the trial sessions.
NUKe