Les 'gilets jaunes'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Les 'gilets jaunes'

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I the UK that would lead to awful trouble cos opinion is split about 50/cinquante :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Canuk wrote:They're not really oro motoring. This protest started because they hiked the price of gas from 1.20 a litre to 1.50 in 6 months. If you line in rural France with no public transport, you're knackered. There's a view in France, (long held, even before '68) that the only way to get the attention of the administration in place is to demonstrate' dans les rues'. And if that's initially unsuccessful, they will build the barricades and protest more violently. They mainly cause damage to property, (in this case it was mainly posh, gas guzzling cars were attacked) and rarely other people. The violence perpetrated by the police in constrast was comprehensive and sustained.

The French protest like this because they know that by standing together against injustice and regimes they no longer have any trust in works. It gets results. Therefore in the French mindset violence on the streets, mostly targeted at property is 100% justified. They are creative about it too. In one town a local farmer sprayed what could only be described as 2000 litres of excrement through the open window of the town hall in protest at removal of the only bus service in the area.

Almost every single car you see on the roads has a gilet Jaune in the window as a sign of near total unanimity.
The latest story here is that the police are just as unhappy as everyone else. If they come out in sympathy in the new year with the protesters then Macron has only weeks left in power. If the British people would take to the streets in numbers like this, you would have your 2nd referendum by now. Sans probleme!

You assume that the UK public is wholeheartedly behind that option. I've heard nothing to suggest that. I've heard nobody at all talking about it, except on this Forum.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

I think the next 3 weeks will tell a different story. If there's even a hint at no deal, my take is that the uk will go the same way as the US is right now: Financial collapse, bear market, start of long term recession. Pain for everyone, except those that can easily move their cash and assets abroad at the click of a button.

If that doesn't get people out in the streets to protest for a 2nd referendum, hell mend them. The police here are with the protestors, as they were in '68.

Thats the French way. They even make a day out of it too with a sit down gravy dinner at lunch time over a bottle of wine!
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello there, me thinks that if the Muppets in England follow the anarchy route trouble will occur?
After all the Skye bridge Toll was repealed, Scotland happier, The Severn Bridge Toll has now gone Wales smiling.
Should see plenty of yellow jackets in the Lancashire/Cheshire area any time soon, because one can't go over or under the Mersey without being charged!
For the next few months we have a potential problem here. Merseyrail are doing major works, so it will be a replacement bus/rail service, so bugger the cyclist if the ferries go west, which they often do?
Protest YES, Lawlessness NO. MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, me thinks that if the Muppets in England follow the anarchy route trouble will occur?
After all the Skye bridge Toll was repealed, Scotland happier, The Severn Bridge Toll has now gone Wales smiling.
Should see plenty of yellow jackets in the Lancashire/Cheshire area any time soon, because one can't go over or under the Mersey without being charged!
For the next few months we have a potential problem here. Merseyrail are doing major works, so it will be a replacement bus/rail service, so bugger the cyclist if the ferries go west, which they often do?

A shuttle bus should be easy to organise
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Cyril Haearn, Should get my tricycle on the bus no problem then?
But folk in the area were told in 1934 that when the cost of building the Queensway Tunnel was paid back it would then be toll free.
Then they built the Kingsway Tunnel in the 70's, so tolls rolled on.
On the verge of the 2020's the tolls still look permanent.
Talk about "Divide and Conquer", in many areas of fiscal disparity the Scots & the Welsh make the English the cash cow. Tolls, Prescription Charges, Tuition Fees, talk about pick & mix.
And on the Br*x*t front, Peace in Our Time, Munich re-visited! Bah Humbug. MM
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Cunobelin wrote:
pwa wrote:It is worth taking on board the reality that this is what happens if a government tries to impose higher motoring costs on a population that feels they haven't signed up to that.

Ironic really that a "pro motoring" lobby burns cars?

I must admit posting stills like this is the most extreme form of 'editing', really you are being played (and playing into) the narrative of the mainstream media, who's interests are not the interests of the ordinary people of France.

What's missing from the narrative is the one sidedness of the 'debate, they're not showing you the extreme violence perpetrated by the state against legitimate protest. Namely water cannon, baton charges, CS gas attacks, stun grenades, punching, kicking, dragging by the hair. And these are only the actions you see in public, heaven knows what occurs behind closed doors when they get protesters back to the cells... If you rely on the mainstream media for the entirety of your news, you can only expect gross misrepresentation.

It's to be expected a state influenced media would react in this way, but a simple view of the actual footage on YouTube tells a very different story. Clearly the state are rattled. Which is as it should be, they've been taxing the living daylights out of the working class for a decade. A fuel tax of 20% inaugurated at the start of the year was the tipping point. The GJ will be back on the barricades this weekend, likely muted because of the festive period (still cherished in France), but like I said upthread if the much rumoured switch in the allegiance of the police occurs, the current administration has only weeks to live.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Thinking of wearing Gilet Jaune regularly, to make people wonder whether I am a protestor or a securityperson or a policeperson or a cyclist, or more than one of the above :wink:

Scanned an article about the protests, it suggested the people from the banlieus (poorer immigrants and others) were not much involved, the protesters are mostly white, is that right?

It's a right wing populist movement. Hardly likely to encourage non whites to take part.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, me thinks that if the Muppets in England follow the anarchy route trouble will occur?

They have to go west to get to Birkenhead. :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Thinking of wearing Gilet Jaune regularly, to make people wonder whether I am a protestor or a securityperson or a policeperson or a cyclist, or more than one of the above :wink:

Scanned an article about the protests, it suggested the people from the banlieus (poorer immigrants and others) were not much involved, the protesters are mostly white, is that right?

It's a right wing populist movement. Hardly likely to encourage non whites to take part.

Is it? My impression is that it was begun as a protest against newly raised fuel taxes, which is not in itself right wing or left wing.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

pete75 wrote:

Its a complete spectrum of participants. To brand it as right wing is a complete non sequitur, just more mainstream media bias. Young and old, black and white, it has the support of some 70% of the population. That you should come to this 'conclusion' shows just how effective the fake news media has fooled you.

You will almost certainly not see a car without a Gilet Jaune on the dash today in the south of France in support. Even the local gendarmerie have them on display. No government can survive this outpouring of discontent.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Canuk wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Its a complete spectrum of participants. To brand it as right wing is a complete non sequitur, just more mainstream media bias. Young and old, black and white, it has the support of some 70% of the population. That you should come to this 'conclusion' shows just how effective the fake news media has fooled you.

You will almost certainly not see a car without a Gilet Jaune on the dash today in the south of France in support. Even the local gendarmerie have them on display. No government can survive this outpouring of discontent.

Not media. It's what I was told by a friend who lives in Paris. I'm sure she'll know as much about it as you.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

pete75 wrote:
Canuk wrote:
pete75 wrote: It's a right wing populist movement. Hardly likely to encourage non whites to take part.

Not media. It's what I was told by a friend who lives in Paris. I'm sure she'll know as much about it as you.

You seem to have a lot of friends who tell you things...

If she's middle class and state salaried I would imagine she would side with the state. It's also worthwhile pointing out that Paris is to the rest of France what London is to the UK - not entirely representative.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Canuk wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Canuk wrote:

If she's middle class and state salaried I would imagine she would side with the state. It's also worthwhile pointing out that Paris is to the rest of France what London is to the UK - not entirely representative.

Yes. Many people have friends who tell them things.Maybe you don't have many friends but most people do. Nowhere in any country is entirely representative for example is Hartlepool any more representative of the UK than London, Leeds than Bristol, Portsmouth than Birmingham?
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

pete75 wrote:
Canuk wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Yes. Many people have friends who tell them things.Maybe you don't have many friends but most people do. Nowhere in any country is entirely representative for example is Hartlepool any more representative of the UK than London, Leeds than Bristol, Portsmouth than Birmingham?

Quite bristly today aren't you? Comme toujours.. Are you seriously trying to say that London (or indeed any state Capital) is truly representative of a country? They are usually places where the power resides, and the money. Which is doubly true of Paris.

So how do you explain the mass protest of 300,000 on the streets in Paris.. If, as you say its a right wing, white thing? It would be helpful if you could answer the points put to you rather than reverting to type and cheap shots.