Best thing found this year

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Patrickpioneer

Best thing found this year

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Whats the best thing you have found on the side of the road this year? myself it was a super pair of mole grips and a tenner.
The joys of the road :D
Pat
Bonefishblues

Re: Best thing found this year

Post by Bonefishblues »

The BMW Compact which ended up in a hedge after driving like a fool around a bend towards me (I was in my car) whilst I was waiting to turn right.

It may have taught an important lesson. It did me when I was much much younger and ended up similarly off-road :wink:
gaz

Post by gaz »

A few coins here and there, a reasonable screwdriver, perhaps two.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A Gilet Jaune with 'Verkehrsdetektiv' (traffic detective) on the back, now I can pretend to be a plastic policeperson

Several free books

A couple of interesting encounters in museums

Some lovely wild cherries and plums to eat :wink:
Positive thread alert :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cyril Haearn wrote:A Gilet Jaune with 'Verkehrsdetektiv' (traffic detective) on the back, now I can pretend to be a plastic policeperson

Several free books

More info on interesting encounters please?

You can't beat an interesting encounter!!
Sometimes "found"; sometimes "searched out".
peetee

Post by peetee »

Two shopping trollies dumped over the road from my house. On Christmas Eve my son and I walked them 1/2 mile back to their rightful home - outside Iceland. It was worth the journey just to see the puzzled faces of people passing us by. I don't know if they thought I was:
1. A bit old to be playing with such things.
2. Drunk.
3. Mad as a hatter.
4. Lost.
5. Looking for donations for Christmas dinner.
6. Someone who can't afford a car.
7. Someone with weak knees.
8. A thief.
9. All of the above.

What I am fairly certain (given the general 'couldn't give a monkey's - ness' of the vast majority of people in this city) is that none of them thought for one second that we didn't want to stare out of our front windows at upturned grocery transporters and we were doing something about one of societies greatest problems.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:A Gilet Jaune with 'Verkehrsdetektiv' (traffic detective) on the back, now I can pretend to be a plastic policeperson

Several free books

More info on interesting encounters please?

You can't beat an interesting encounter!!
Sometimes "found"; sometimes "searched out".

Interesting encounters: Heimatmuseum Reinfeld, Matthias Claudius was born there, a great poet (Der Mond ist aufgegangen)
Mehlwelten.de, the biggest collection of flour sacks in the world and a replica of Oetzi, the man from the ice
drossall

Post by drossall »

A pair of hedge clippers. On the basis that there were also some assorted clippings around, I knocked on the door of the neighbouring house and returned the clippers :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

peetee wrote:Two shopping trollies dumped over the road from my house. On Christmas Eve my son and I walked them 1/2 mile back to their rightful home - outside Iceland. It was worth the journey just to see the puzzled faces of people passing us by. I don't know if they thought I was:
1. A bit old to be playing with such things.
2. Drunk.
3. Mad as a hatter.
4. Lost.
5. Looking for donations for Christmas dinner.
6. Someone who can't afford a car.
7. Someone with weak knees.
8. A thief.
9. All of the above.

What I am fairly certain (given the general 'couldn't give a monkey's - ness' of the vast majority of people in this city) is that none of them thought for one second that we didn't want to stare out of our front windows at upturned grocery transporters and we were doing something about one of societies greatest problems.

I would have returned it after a shopping trip. :lol:

FDURN97F5HVPDC8.LARGE.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Several free books

Books, you found BOOKS! that's better than me finding a tenner, which I spent on books. You must live in a more cultural part of wales then me. life's not fair
Pat
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Patrickpioneer wrote:

Several free books

Books, you found BOOKS! that's better than me finding a tenner, which I spent on books. You must live in a more cultural part of wales then me. life's not fair
Pat

I live in a more cultural part of Germany :wink: there are at least six free book stations in town and three more I can think of in cycling distance, several are converted telephone boxes, not all the books are in German, some are in English
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I live in a more cultural part of Germany :wink: there are at least six free book stations in town and three more I can think of in cycling distance, several are converted telephone boxes, not all the books are in German, some are in English

Germany! Bryn old chap if you ever need a care package of leeks just ask.
Pat
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Well I 'found' a lovely Sabbath September on that well know auction website and procured it for a very tidy sum, rode it back from South of the river (Thames) and train back into the N.home counties. Stripped it, bought shiny new carbon mudguard forks (that I can run 30mm tyres under the guards!) and some lovely hand-built wheels that I also 'found' ready built and have just finished buying all the bits to build it up for spring debut. :D

If by 'found' you mean something that someone else has lost at the roadside, well the only thing i remember of note was a £10 note, most of what I 'find' or come across is other people's waste/junk/discarded rubbish - and I often pick it up and pop it in the panniers, if on the way out I'll endeavour to get it on the way back home.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Utility picks up other peoples rubbish, so do I, peetee took some shopping trollies back at the risk of being thought abnormal :wink:
I am glad to be abnormal, I think we are the New Wombles

Underground overground wombling free
The wombles of Wimbledon Common are we
Making good use of the things that we find
Things that the everyday folk leave behind
Old Uncle Bulgaria is my favourite
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Utility picks up other peoples rubbish, so do I, peetee took some shopping trollies back at the risk of being thought abnormal :wink:
I am glad to be abnormal, I think we are the New Wombles

Underground overground wombling free
The wombles of Wimbledon Common are we
Making good use of the things that we find
Things that the everyday folk leave behind
Old Uncle Bulgaria is my favourite

I'd hate to be described as 'normal', i don't try to be anything but what is usual/common / normal is such a rubbish word for describing human behaviour, for one person is not for another.
I did forget I found some unused balloons, along with a CO2 device that connects to the cannisters, of which there were 20+ (all used) simply chucked onto the grass at the side of the road not 75m from home. The throwing away habits of far too many people are disgusting. :twisted: