Worst thing found on the road

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Patrickpioneer

Worst thing found on the road

Post by Patrickpioneer »

As requested :D what is the worst thing you have found on the road in the past year?
for me it has to be the dead badger I had to move to the side of the road, I see far too much road kill.
Pat
gaz

Re: Worst thing found on the road

Post by gaz »

Quite a number of drivers, hard to pick the worst.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Human turd... I left it where it was.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Patrickpioneer wrote:As requested :D what is the worst thing you have found on the road in the past year?
for me it has to be the dead badger I had to move to the side of the road, I see far too much road kill.
Pat

The more sickening and depressing thing is the half-killed creature, hit by a car and left to suffer. It also makes me mad with anger, as I feel the need to put it out of it's misery and hate doing so. It's an emotion generally foreign to me but at those times I hate cars and their uncaring drivers. Luckily, these occurrences are rare, despite the many now-dead bodies to be seen at the roadside.

I once hit a rabbit with a car myself and felt bad for weeks and weeks.

The other thing I find depressing is the ever-increasing tin-litter of cars and vans parked everywhere, often in an uncaring fashion. Many suburban streets have almost impassable pavements, also with front gardens concreted over so five cars can park on them. Polluters at many levels, cars.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Half my top lip after I face planted on black ice mid December :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Graham

Post by Graham »

Bottles filled with urine ( of unknown vintage and provenance ) slung out of motor vehicles.

Other beer cans and bottles containing their own primordial swamp of slime and stinking fluid.

Litter-picking below a layby, one day, I noticed a dustbin truck pull-in and some of the operatives behave in mysterious ways for a few minutes.
After they had left I returned to the layby to find that one of the team had curled one out on the tarmac.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Patrickpioneer wrote:As requested :D what is the worst thing you have found on the road in the past year?
Pat

One year I kept a record of all the road kill I saw from my bike http://cycleseven.org/road-kill
It included 19 dead badgers, 31 blackbirds and a long and depressing list of other species.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

On today's ride alone, we saw a dead badger, a Fridge/Freezer dumped in a field entrance, a bed dumped in farmer's field, a metal house radiator dumped by the side of the road. That's in addition to the discarded cans, bottles, used nappies, coffee cups, fast food and other wrappers, etc that were seen on the verges of every road we rode along, even quiet country lanes.

What is wrong with people (motorists and passengers), that they feel need to sling their rubbish out of the car window rather than take it home? The number of discarded beer cans is frightening - are these people really driving along and drinking beer, then throwing the can away?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One should be very careful if one finds a half-dead animal, I would not want to kill it, even if one just tried to move it off the road it could retaliate, then there might be a half-dead person too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One should be very careful if one finds a half-dead animal, I would not want to kill it, even if one just tried to move it off the road it could retaliate, then there might be a half-dead person too

It's generally a rabbit or a bird. I would be wary of a badger or a fox. It doesn't happen often but I can't bear to see a mangled beast still alive and suffering.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:One should be very careful if one finds a half-dead animal, I would not want to kill it, even if one just tried to move it off the road it could retaliate, then there might be a half-dead person too

It's generally a rabbit or a bird. I would be wary of a badger or a fox. It doesn't happen often but I can't bear to see a mangled beast still alive and suffering.

Cugel

In France you could call your friendly local hunter :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Cugel wrote:The more sickening and depressing thing is the half-killed creature, hit by a car and left to suffer. It also makes me mad with anger, as I feel the need to put it out of it's misery and hate doing so. It's an emotion generally foreign to me but at those times I hate cars and their uncaring drivers. Luckily, these occurrences are rare, despite the many now-dead bodies to be seen at the roadside.

The other thing I find depressing is the ever-increasing tin-litter of cars and vans parked everywhere, often in an uncaring fashion. Many suburban streets have almost impassable pavements, also with front gardens concreted over so five cars can park on them. Polluters at many levels, cars.

Cugel

I have lost count of the dead animals I have seen on the roads, I think people either don't care or actually aim for the animal and it makes me angry too even just to think about it and I could not let a live one suffer and would do as you do.

Regarding litter I was out for a ride boxing day and was shocked by all the Christmas wrapping paper all over the roads, do people unwrap gifts in the car then just throw the wrapping out? most probably yes. Urine 'road tizer' yes I see that too, mind you full marks for them having good aim into a tiny bottle!

what a society

Pat
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Argie anti-personnel mines and thousands of rounds of 7.62 ammunition ..... Ross Road West / Moody Brook road.... Falkland islands ..... :D ... and me on my butchers bike navigating through them .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Graham wrote:Bottles filled with urine ( of unknown vintage and provenance ) slung out of motor vehicles.

Other beer cans and bottles containing their own primordial swamp of slime and stinking fluid.

Litter-picking below a layby, one day, I noticed a dustbin truck pull-in and some of the operatives behave in mysterious ways for a few minutes.
After they had left I returned to the layby to find that one of the team had curled one out on the tarmac.

If you're caught short you're caught short.... though maybe a little more discretion could have been employed. This is why council workers including the bin men were up in arms regarding equal pay with dinner ladies etc. Bin men are out on the job with effeciency measures, eat their meals in cab in front of a stinking load of rubbish and nowhere to go for comfort breaks.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Patrickpioneer wrote:
Cugel wrote:The more sickening and depressing thing is the half-killed creature, hit by a car and left to suffer. It also makes me mad with anger, as I feel the need to put it out of it's misery and hate doing so. It's an emotion generally foreign to me but at those times I hate cars and their uncaring drivers. Luckily, these occurrences are rare, despite the many now-dead bodies to be seen at the roadside.

Cugel

I have lost count of the dead animals I have seen on the roads, I think people either don't care or actually aim for the animal and it makes me angry too even just to think about it and I could not let a live one suffer and would do as you do.

Regarding litter I was out for a ride boxing day and was shocked by all the Christmas wrapping paper all over the roads, do people unwrap gifts in the car then just throw the wrapping out? most probably yes. Urine 'road tizer' yes I see that too, mind you full marks for them having good aim into a tiny bottle!

what a society

Pat

My wife thinks that many of the Badgers you see are not actually roadkill but a result of "lamping" where they are flushed out of their burrows by dogs, shot and then dumped on the roads. She does mix a little with the hunting community through her horse riding connections.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com