Alternatives To Winter Cycling Specific Shoes / Boots??

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Witterings

Alternatives To Winter Cycling Specific Shoes / Boots??

Post by Witterings »

I'm looking for an alternative to cycling specific specific shoes / boots firstly as they seem massively overpriced and also most of our rides seem to end in the pub where I take my cycling jacket off and put a not so cycling specific looser fitting t-shirt over the top of a base layer .... I don't use cleats.

I currently use a decent pair or gore tex walking boots which are brilliant but they're fairly light more summer boots orientated so whilst waterproof aren't quite warm enough especially when it's windy even with decent socks.

I bought some overshoes which are brilliant and have made a whole heap of difference (so warm I just wear trainers underneath) but I'm a size small / medium (size 7) and bought an extra large pair to go over normal shoes .... they're a PITA to get on / off but they also squeeze the shoe and feels like the blood supply's getting cut off after a while so you start get cramp in your feet after about 10 + miles.

If anyone's tried any other walking boots that aren't too heavy and are toasty warm and could recommend or any other suggestions would be appreciated!!
NUKe

Re: Alternatives To Winter Cycling Specific Shoes / Boots??

Post by NUKe »

If you don’t use cleats, then your right, light weight hiking boots are great. You don’t say how far you ride. My own personal choice would be Brasha Superlites now made by Berghaus, they’re not cheap though at around £140, for the more cost conscious high tec are quite good.
NUKe

Post by Witterings »

NUKe wrote:If you don’t use cleats, then your right, light weight hiking boots are great. You don’t say how far you ride. My own personal choice would be Brasha Superlites now made by Berghaus, they’re not cheap though at around £140, for the more cost conscious high tec are quite good.

Mid week's normally 20 mile and weekends between 30 and 40 although our distances are increasing ... although it'd probably be summer before we went much further than that so not really a consideration beyond most likely a 35 mile ride.

I had vaguely thought about snow boots although wondered if they wouldn't be that durable although they'd only be used for the 2 rides a week in the coldest of winter months.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The problem with trainers and overshoes is the lack of structure and the over wide sole. You might be better off with cycling specific gaitors. I have some Gore ones that keep the wet and cold off quite nicely.

You could get some atb/leisure cycling shoes, Lidl for example do theirs for under £30, overshoes would work and they don't look out of place off the bike.

But why is looking like a cyclist to be avoided? Are you ashamed of arriving by bike?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

foxyrider wrote:But why is looking like a cyclist to be avoided? Are you ashamed of arriving by bike?

My intestines ruptured in the middle of the night last year resulting in emergency surgery to remove a section leaving me with a colostomy bag for 6 months which is very obvious if you're wearing skin tight cycling clothing and so I got into the habit of wearing a looser fit.

I have subsequently had a reversal but there is still a very obvious indentation from the old wound but as a side effect most likely caused by the previous operations I now have a Hiatal Hernia which to say the least gives me a very strange shape ..... cycling clothing massively exaggerates both of these neither of which I'm particularly keen to bring attention to.

I hope my preference for a looser style of clothing meets with your approval ???
Last edited by Witterings on 27 Dec 2018, 3:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Witterings wrote:
foxyrider wrote:But why is looking like a cyclist to be avoided? Are you ashamed of arriving by bike?

My intestines ruptured in the middle of the night last year resulting in emergency surgery to remove a section leaving me with a colostomy bag for 6 months which is very obvious if you're wearing skin tight cycling clothing and so I got into the habit of wearing a looser fit.

I have subsequently had a reversal but there is still a very obvious indentation from the old wound but as a side effect most likely caused by the previous operations I now have a Hiatal Hernia which to say the least gives me a very strange shape ..... cycling clothing massively exaggerates both of these neither of which I'm particularly keen to bring attention to.

I hope my preference for a looser style of clothing meets with your approval ???

Wasn't picking on your clothing choice at all but you seem determined to compromise your footwear in case it looks 'cyclist'. There are plenty of properly designed cycling shoes that don't need cleats and can be worn discreetly off the bike.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I've always found run of the mill, leather "safety" boots to be the best. The hard soles provide an excellent platform to interact with the pedals, the heavy weight construction results in them being indestructable, can quite routinely be found for £25-30 and in hiker type styling they''re aesthetically pleasing.

Not so good for long distance walking as they'll quite often lack decent heel/midsole support (I.e. Walked a 100-120 miles in teh first half of December in my pair, could feel heel pain by the end).
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Have a look at these, i use nothing else
Pat
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fiv ... hoes-cycle
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I wore boots for much of my working life and I found elastic-sided dealer/ Chelsea boots to be a great timesaver. I've found them to be ideal with traditional rubber block pedals which I have on my shopping bike. I've never really used the combination for riding further than half a dozen miles going shopping. For anything further, I suppose weather-proofing would be the issue.

Veldtschoen soles keep the wet at bay. I've a pair of these which are tough as ... er .... boots.

https://www.pediwear.co.uk/cheaney/products/8288.php

Not cheap, but if you take size 8 I see there's a pair with a hundred quid off on Amazon.

Otherwise, if you just want cheap at any price, so to speak, there's always a good range of boots at TKMaxx. And FWIW, one of my sons bought a pair of those Cheaneys in a discontinued shade (almond grain) dirt cheap last winter.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Throughout my working life if I wasn’t in wellies I was in Dealer boots. In latter years I discovered Dickies to be long lasting and VFM. The pair listed above would have been outvof my price range even with a generous discount :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can only afford them in old age because I out-scrooged Scrooge for most of my life. I used to go to Millets till they stopped selling shiny black boots and then it was Doc M's.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

For winter commuting, I simply have a pair of shoes a size too big and wear three pairs of socks. Same with hiking boots, turn up at the shop with the socks you're going to wear and buy accordingly.

Overshoes do seem to vary in size a lot. I wouldn't dismiss them entirely. Like saddles, can be expensive trial and error. The biggest dhb ones go over my size 12 MTB shoes ok.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
rjb

Post by rjb »

I'm still walking around in a pair of ex work safety boots. I retired in 2001. :shock: I would wear these when I cycled to work in the snow as they were warm and waterproof and I could save my spds for less inclement conditions. They are still waterproof and will see me out judging by how well they have lasted. :lol:
I see safety boots come up in Lidl and Aldi on a regular basis and wonder if they would be suitable for walking in, with the addition of a better insole insert. Anyone tried them.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Cheers for everyone's comments .... been really helpful !!

Have looked at various options on people's suggestions including work boots and happened to see these on offer so picked up pair yesterday afternoon

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/footw ... rk%20grey/

Got them home and wore them around the house a bit and think whilst maybe warm enough they're quite heavy and wide / clunky and I'm not sure I'd really want to be using them on a bike because of that so may take them back (asked the shop if that was OK before buying them).

I also looked at Patrickpioneer's suggestion combined with going out on a ride in 2°C last night in a pair of rubbish old trainers with my overshoes on and my feet were absolutely toasty ... however I really don't like the hassle of getting them on / off ...... BUT

I think it's made me realise .. if you're going to do it ..... do it properly or you'll fall into the buy it twice syndrome .... wish I'd asked a couple of weeks ago as over here anyway these now seem to be sold out which were heavily discounted and look ideal
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fiv ... prod152877

Kind of thinking unless I happen to find anywhere else that has them or similar for sale in the interim I reluctantly may make do with the overshoes until the next winter over here which kind of coincides with my B'day in Oct and stick them on the list for then.

Again ... thanks for everyone's input .... has been really helpful in terms of making me look at alternative options and hope everyone has a Happy New Year with lots of great rides in 2019 :) :)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

If you are still looking, I can recommend these, currently on sale.

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Spli ... 4786-p.htm

You might think that they are disqualified as being "cycling specific" but I do recommend them.

Very well made. Will last years.

Vibram sole which makes them good for walking (and pushing :) ) in.

But the sole is stiff enough for good pedalling.

I usually use them with MKS Sylvan touring pedals.

I have ridden 140 miles non stop in them - I no longer use cleats for touring.

If you do go for them, bear in mind their sizing guidelines.

Oh and if to be used without cleats, check that the bolts that secure the pull out patch are secured properly - they weren't on the first ones I bought but I spotted in time.

I didn't - usually a 42 but I found the 42 I bought in a boxing day sale 2 or 3 years ago a bit tight.

Have just ordered a second pair at 43 and confident they will fit with suitable socks.
Sweep