Potholes again

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Potholes again

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Re: Potholes again

Post by mjr »

£420m to repair something like £9bn of potholes. I'm sure that'll work(!)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Too little too late.
First they announce an austerity plan,then let infrastructure deteriorate to such an extent that lives are lost because of it,and the cost in the long run far exceeds the amount needed to maintain the roads in the first place.
Typical shortsighted Tory idiocy,their incompetence knows no bounds.
W H Auden
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

We all know why there's no money!
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

It's more than just repairing potholes properly. I was out on a 45 mile ride this morning and what I noticed was that in several places there were obvious signs of blocked rainwater drains, where water was flowing across the road, add to this heavy vehicles, the occasional deluge and a bit of ice and it's no wonder our roads are falling apart.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

philvantwo wrote:We all know why there's no money!

The bankers.That's bankers.
And yet,though there is no money,the Tories can afford the likes of HS2,the latest nuclear submarine or a billion to buy the DUP's alliegence to keep them in power,or the tax breaks for the rich,or not chacing the multinational companies for the taxes they owe.
Oh yes,we know why here's no money! :roll:
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

Am I the only person that thinks that including a faux-comedy photo of a doll in a puddle is inappropriate and insensitive?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

peetee wrote:Am I the only person that thinks that including a faux-comedy photo of a doll in a puddle is inappropriate and insensitive?

Now that you come to mention it,but I was concentrating on the disaster that has been allowed to happen by a government doesn't give sh... you know what :?
W H Auden
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Potholes are mainly caused by motor vehicles. How many potholes are found on a footway? How often are footways resurfaced?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

peetee wrote:Am I the only person that thinks that including a faux-comedy photo of a doll in a puddle is inappropriate and insensitive?

No :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

MikeF wrote:Potholes are mainly caused by motor vehicles. How many potholes are found on a footway? How often are footways resurfaced?

Footways and cycleways are designed for much lighter loads, built cheaply so they do not last and are easily disrupted by roots or when water gets in/under them
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
MikeF wrote:Potholes are mainly caused by motor vehicles. How many potholes are found on a footway? How often are footways resurfaced?

Footways and cycleways are designed for much lighter loads, built cheaply so they do not last and are easily disrupted by roots or when water gets in/under them

Do you think roads are built well enough to cope with the traffic that's using them?
IMO the roads are being built and repaired worse than ever when you consider the amount of traffic on UK roads in the 21st century.
W H Auden
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

reohn2 wrote:Do you think roads are built well enough to cope with the traffic that's using them?
IMO the roads are being built and repaired worse than ever when you consider the amount of traffic on UK roads in the 21st century.

Out in our rural areas there are some potholes that exist for several months, and (in some cases) years. I've found a useful tool is google street view, where an image from quite some time ago can be used as evidence of long-overdue repair! I had a phone conversation with a highway manager a few years ago, and he stated that the local tractors and other farm vehicles sometimes cause damage - he thought I was being unreasonable to expect the roads to be strong enough (especially as there's farms all around like) :roll:
slowster

Post by slowster »

It's not in good taste, but in the BBC's defence what they've done is simply reuse a previous video article on the problem of potholes, which happens to include the doll image (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-46012348/potholes-why-do-we-have-so-many-of-them). The doll's use in that video stemmed from a campaigner using them draw attention to potholes in his area (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-43962444).
peetee

Post by peetee »

slowster wrote:

It's not in good taste, but in the BBC's defence what they've done is simply reuse a previous video article on the problem of potholes, which happens to include the doll image (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-46012348/potholes-why-do-we-have-so-many-of-them). The doll's use in that video stemmed from a campaigner using them draw attention to potholes in his area (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-43962444).

I understand it's a snippet from that video but they could have used a more neutral image for the link.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.