Worst thing found on the road

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ben@Forest

Re: Worst thing found on the road

Post by Ben@Forest »

TrevA wrote:My wife thinks that many of the Badgers you see are not actually roadkill but a result of "lamping" where they are flushed out of their burrows by dogs, shot and then dumped on the roads. She does mix a little with the hunting community through her horse riding connections.

If this is true l think it would be sussed out quite quickly. Numbers/sex/age animal surveys are sometimes done or partly done on what roadkill has been found. If badgers were routinely shot and dumped this would be discovered. This would be especially true of badgers because of the monitoring for TB.

https://www.fginsight.com/news/news/one ... e-tb-75778
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

eileithyia wrote:
Graham wrote:Bottles filled with urine ( of unknown vintage and provenance ) slung out of motor vehicles.

Other beer cans and bottles containing their own primordial swamp of slime and stinking fluid.

Litter-picking below a layby, one day, I noticed a dustbin truck pull-in and some of the operatives behave in mysterious ways for a few minutes.
After they had left I returned to the layby to find that one of the team had curled one out on the tarmac.

If you're caught short you're caught short.... though maybe a little more discretion could have been employed. This is why council workers including the bin men were up in arms regarding equal pay with dinner ladies etc. Bin men are out on the job with effeciency measures, eat their meals in cab in front of a stinking load of rubbish and nowhere to go for comfort breaks.

Bin people have the solution (pun intended) handy. They can deposit the bottle appropriately.

Someone who is caught short should take it with, not fling it out the car.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Ben@Forest wrote:
TrevA wrote:My wife thinks that many of the Badgers you see are not actually roadkill but a result of "lamping" where they are flushed out of their burrows by dogs, shot and then dumped on the roads. She does mix a little with the hunting community through her horse riding connections.

If this is true l think it would be sussed out quite quickly. Numbers/sex/age animal surveys are sometimes done or partly done on what roadkill has been found. If badgers were routinely shot and dumped this would be discovered. This would be especially true of badgers because of the monitoring for TB.

https://www.fginsight.com/news/news/one ... e-tb-75778

Well, if they're shot there will be bullet holes. But I'm not stopping to have a look, thanks! :shock: :roll:

I thought badgers were being gassed and then dumped on the road. Harder to detect.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:Bin people have the solution (pun intended) handy. They can deposit the bottle appropriately.

I don't know what's best for the ladies (find a nice thick hedge to duck behind perhaps?) but surely blokes shouldn't have any problem? Plenty of times I've sought 'relief' on the verge. No-one's arrested me yet - is it illegal?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Paulatic wrote:Human turd... I left it where it was.

...and you knew this how :shock:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

100%JR wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Human turd... I left it where it was.

...and you knew this how :shock:

Unfortunately a life time in the countryside surrounded by animals and septic tanks leaves you as an excrement expert. :lol:
Ploughing out the headlands, 55yrs ago, you’d quickly learn about 'hedgehoppers anonymous '.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Bin people have the solution (pun intended) handy. They can deposit the bottle appropriately.

I don't know what's best for the ladies (find a nice thick hedge to duck behind perhaps?) but surely blokes shouldn't have any problem? Plenty of times I've sought 'relief' on the verge. No-one's arrested me yet - is it illegal?

A hedge tends to be my solution, though they do make devices to assist ladies with this. I might consider it if I did winter camping or something.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

On reflection much the worst thing I found this year was a guy struggling to climb out of a ditch having been run off the road by a passing lorry. Fortunately he was uninjured but badly shaken. He was only cycling from his house to the shop in a nearby village!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

My tyres always seem to be let done by the things I find on the roads :(
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Does litter beget litter?

Followed a group of teenagers, one holding a can she wanted to discard, she simply waited until she saw a couple of cans by the path then added hers.

Most depressingly we spent a sunny Sunday afternoon in Northampton's Abington park. When we left our area was nice and clean. However, across the rest of the park, where groups of people had been sitting and picnicking there were just endless piles of rubbish left on the ground marking the centre of each group.

Again, I suspect that one group walked away leaving their mess and everyone else just followed suit.

Much like drunken driving, I a massive re-education campaign may be needed to emphasise that littering is socially unacceptable. In my days my parents or the local copper would not have tolerated his behaviour

- or maybe there just wasn't all the excess packaging we have these days (Corona bottles got a refund, sweets came in paper bags, fast food didn't exist )

What do you think?
peetee

Post by peetee »

I would advise against handling an animal that has been struck by a vehicle. You might believe it dead and want for it to be removed to prevent further damage, to prevent other sensitive souls from seeing it or if it's injured to try to 'put it out of its misery'. In any scenario your assessment my be wrong and an inanimate animal close to death may still be able to cause you significant injury with a kick or bite.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Not the worst thing, not by a long way but yesterday I found my first Christmas tree of the season dumped across the cycletrack. Moved it to the verge and reported to the council in the hope of collection.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Earlier this year I was walking through London and saw Boris Johnson cycling. He wasn't really 'found' - he hasn't yet been lost, although he often goes temporarily missing when he is in danger of being found out.

Does that count?
John
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

A young pig dead at the side of the road while on a UK tour. A few years ago I came across an apparently dead woman. No pulse, didn't know how long she'd been there. Actually heard the death rattle.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Stradageek wrote:Does litter beget litter?

''''''''
Again, I suspect that one group walked away leaving their mess and everyone else just followed suit.

Much like drunken driving, I a massive re-education campaign may be needed to emphasise that littering is socially unacceptable. In my days my parents or the local copper would not have tolerated his behaviour

- or maybe there just wasn't all the excess packaging we have these days (Corona bottles got a refund, sweets came in paper bags, fast food didn't exist )

What do you think?

Litter was cast in the 50s and 60s but there wasn't a hundredth of litter available then, compared to now, to cast aside. The fundamental problem is, indeed, the makers of the litter who accept no responsibility or costs for dealing with it. It should be banned at source - in the factory making the stuff that's often as rubbishy as the packaging it's (excessively) wrapped in.

It's also true that littering begets littering. Several human behaviours follow this pattern, as we humans are defined by our ability and inclination to copy other humans.

I observe this in practice via my daily litter-pick along the Lancaster canal as I walk the dogs. If I manage to get the 10 miles or so of my walking sections clear of visible litter, very little subsequently appears in the next day, week or month. If I'm away for a month somewhere else, the litter has begun again on my return. If I don't remove it toot sweet, the littering will increase as the rubbish-consuming chavs cast the rubbish-wrapper next to the previous chav's chuck. I was away fro 15 months a couple of years ago and on return the canal footpath was awash with litter once more, despite the hundreds of bagfuls I've removed over the years.

Humans are dirty wee beasts if left outside of some pressing social norm to not be a dirty little beast. But these days social norms are regarded as some sort of interference with one's freedom to do as one likes on all occasions. The irony is that these littering non-conformists are in fact merely conforming to a different set of norms - eating and drinking junkfud then throwing away the junk wrappers.

Some of us do try to adhere to better social norms. Often we will be condemned as foolish do-gooders or even little hitlers "telling me what to do". I confess to having Hitleresque fantasies about chucking picnicking parties of littering boaters into the canal, after I've forced them to clean up all their detritus! So they must be right then ....

Dictator Cugel
Last edited by Cugel on 30 Dec 2018, 12:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes