#Festive500

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: #Festive500

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’m nearly there. I’m off out to finish it off in an hour or so. I planned on doing it in 2 rides this year, but Christmas / F&F got in the way, so I’ve done 1 one hundred miler, and a few 100 Km rides instead so far.
horizon

Post by horizon »

djrikki wrote:
horizon wrote:
djrikki wrote:
Personally my own journey started on Christmas Day when I drove from Lincolnshire to Cornwall

I don't wish to be funny, but surely that doesn't count?

Yeah, if you read the full post, I said I drove down on Christmas Day. Cycling didn't start until Boxing Day and then again today.

No, I did read the whole post but was genuinely confused - I thought you were being disingenuous but since you hadn't added some wry comment, I wasn't sure. In the context of the massive road building projects planned for West Cornwall, the lack of a nod towards the irony of what you were doing was particularly poignant:

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/ ... chiverton/

I didn't mean to spoil your day!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Another 70k today so I'm on 330 total, on target but still a way to go.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Another 39 miles bagged to today, just up on my 40 miles per day target by 10 miles. Just over 100 miles to go.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Done it. Woohoo :mrgreen:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

102kms to go to wrap it up. Bit of a challenge today with strong winds up in the peaks.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

100km today despite the wind and post trip blues which leaves me 72km to do in 2 days - think I might just make that :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
whoof

Post by whoof »

djrikki wrote:
whoof wrote:
djrikki wrote:I couldn't find a thread devoted to the 2018 Rapha #Festive500 "event" so lets hear what you've been up today so far this Christmas period.

Personally my own journey started on Christmas Day when I drove from Lincolnshire to Cornwall to start my holidays, Boxing Day, day one of my effort to go 500km this Christmas started with a ride to Land's End, St Michael's Mount and St. Ives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlBC1IoGtm0

We may have crossed paths. I rode over to Mounts Bay, to Mousehole, St Buryan over to Land's End Airport and then down to St Ives, stopping off to take a look at Pendean lighthouse.

I guess that's more than likely I pretty much encircled that small piece of Cornwall; sounds like you went Clockwise - I went anti-Clockwise on Boxing Day.
To be fair I didn't see many cyclists out on Boxing Day.. maybe you were just pushing up that final bump out of Mousehole; turning right. I stopped at the 'unvarnished' garden gates to take a look across at the Ocean view as someone on a bike went past me. Incidently you'll see the unvarnished gates in my latest video on YouTube as I stopped there yet again to admire the view.

When I got to the top of the hill out of Mousehole the road flattens out for 100 metres or so and there was someone on a bike looking at the view.
In addition to the hills in Cornwall the roads are also very 'draggy'. The good news is if this is what you are used to most other places the miles seem to go by a lot easier. I remember someone who came to Cornwall on holiday and came out on the club run. He asked how far we where going, the answer 60-70miles . His response was "is that all,we do 100 at home". When we finished I asked him if he would like to do another loop of 30 or so miles. He said he was going back to his hotel to collapse!
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

whoof wrote:
djrikki wrote:
whoof wrote:We may have crossed paths. I rode over to Mounts Bay, to Mousehole, St Buryan over to Land's End Airport and then down to St Ives, stopping off to take a look at Pendean lighthouse.

I guess that's more than likely I pretty much encircled that small piece of Cornwall; sounds like you went Clockwise - I went anti-Clockwise on Boxing Day.
To be fair I didn't see many cyclists out on Boxing Day.. maybe you were just pushing up that final bump out of Mousehole; turning right. I stopped at the 'unvarnished' garden gates to take a look across at the Ocean view as someone on a bike went past me. Incidently you'll see the unvarnished gates in my latest video on YouTube as I stopped there yet again to admire the view.

When I got to the top of the hill out of Mousehole the road flattens out for 100 metres or so and there was someone on a bike looking at the view.
In addition to the hills in Cornwall the roads are also very 'draggy'. The good news is if this is what you are used to most other places the miles seem to go by a lot easier. I remember someone who came to Cornwall on holiday and came out on the club run. He asked how far we where going, the answer 60-70miles . His response was "is that all,we do 100 at home". When we finished I asked him if he would like to do another loop of 30 or so miles. He said he was going back to his hotel to collapse!

Yeah it was probably me ^.^ ... yeah that little story pretty much describes my experience of Cornwall. More elevation per mile.
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Day three of my #festive500 effort, final day in Cornwall :-( Tomorrow, Cheddar Gorge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwioZxx8rRI
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

Only heard of it today but I found I have already completed it and due to do another 100 k tomorrow . Function of great weather
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've completed the #Festive50! :D 35 miles (56km) this week so far & tomorrow's ride looks like it has been knocked on the head!

Might manage something on Monday to bring it past 50 miles. :)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Another 60k for me today making 458 in total so far, just need to do another 26 miles in the morning to finish it off,
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

504 kms completed, 40 mile club run with 26 miles tagged on after to complete so don't have to cycle tomorrow.
PH

Post by PH »

Somewhat annoyingly, I've just uploaded the Garmin to find I'm 5.9 km short, I was going out tomorrow anyway, but still thought I'd done enough.
It's been an easy year for me, I haven't gone for any really long rides or any that I wouldn't have done anyway. I have no tales to tell, haven't found it much of a challenge though I've enjoyed the rides. I was disappointed the fog was so thick Christmas morning that I turned round before getting into the Peak District and did something else. It's a ride I've done nearly every Christmas except when icy and predates the festive by at least a decade.