New ebiker reporting in.

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
BlackPanther

New ebiker reporting in.

Post by BlackPanther »

Hello! I’ve been on this forum for many years, posting mainly over on the ‘non standard human powered vehicles’ section as I’ve ridden recumbents 99% of the time on my commute. I still intend to do most of my commutes on the Catrike 700 trike, but yesterday I acquired a Giant Fastroad e bike. I’ve only done a quick run up and down the street, but I’ve spent the last couple of hours commuterificating it with a rack, lights, mirror etc etc. It’s done a few miles from new, and I’m looking forward to seeing how it copes with the 12.5 mike ride to work tomorrow. Tbh, I’ve neve really struggled with the commute, but having had a go on my mates Giant e+2, I thought I’d give it a whirl. I tend to ride to work steady to arrive sweat free, and ride home like a bat out of hell, so I’ll still put in the same effort, hopefully knock a bit of tome off, claim a few road bike scalps? and hopefully commute 100% of the time, instead of having the odd day off when I’m a bit sniffly, or when my knees aching.

However, the main reason I’ve bought it is to keep my interest up.

So hi to everyone who doesn’t know me, and I dare say I’ll be asking a few ebike related questions. Bring on tomorrow!

Cheers, Carl.
The photobucket images don't work !!!
loafer

Re: New ebiker reporting in.

Post by loafer »

hi BlackPanther
just wondering how things were going with your e-bike :D
BlackPanther

Post by BlackPanther »

Ok until a couple of weeks ago when I started getting a creaking noise from the crank area. Looking online it looks like it could be the motor bolts need retorquing? I’m gonna get it into the dealers though as it’s only a few months old. Possible prob though is that I couldn’t register it on the UK Giant site as it wouldn’t accept the model number, but it would accept it on the U.S. site!?
The photobucket images don't work !!!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A guarantee, which is statutory, is a guarantee. Having a computer (to register it) is not a requirement. In fact, I suspect that companies only want registration in order to harvest your details.

Under EU law you should be able to expect an item like an ebike to last 6 years. I got a total refund for a laptop from Currys once after 3 years, using EU law.
John
hondated

Post by hondated »

Oldjohnw wrote:A guarantee, which is statutory, is a guarantee. Having a computer (to register it) is not a requirement. In fact, I suspect that companies only want registration in order to harvest your details.

Under EU law you should be able to expect an item like an ebike to last 6 years. I got a total refund for a laptop from Currys once after 3 years, using EU law.

Wow ! that is interesting. Wish I had known before as I have had to replace several lap tops brought from them over the years. :?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/per ... right.html

The local store told me tough so I wrote to the manager claiming a full refund under the EU law - it's easy enough to find the particular bit of legislation. Within a week I heard from Curry's HQ offering a refund.

Of course, many will not wish to avail themselves of this terrible EU curtailment of business's right to fleece customers. They long for the days when people could be ripped off without redress :)
John
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Oldjohnw wrote:

Another post Brexit what if scenario to be considered!

Mike