Worst thing found on the road

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bonefishblues

Re: Worst thing found on the road

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:Earlier this year I was walking through London and saw Boris Johnson cycling. He wasn't really 'found' - he hasn't yet been lost, although he often goes temporarily missing when he is in danger of being found out.

Does that count?

"Boris Johnson Found Out"

Afraid that headline's been written a long time ago :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

bigjim wrote:A young pig dead at the side of the road while on a UK tour. A few years ago I came across an apparently dead woman. No pulse, didn't know how long she'd been there. Actually heard the death rattle.

This must have been difficult to cope with at the time and since then. At least nowadays with mobile phones, you're less likely to have to decide betwen remaining with the person or going to get help.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

thirdcrank wrote:
bigjim wrote:A young pig dead at the side of the road while on a UK tour. A few years ago I came across an apparently dead woman. No pulse, didn't know how long she'd been there. Actually heard the death rattle.

This must have been difficult to cope with at the time and since then. At least nowadays with mobile phones, you're less likely to have to decide betwen remaining with the person or going to get help.

I got a passing van driver to phone for help and worked on her for a good 15 mins. A retired nurse from a nearby house turned up and helped but she was unable to do the CPR as her hands were weak, so it was up to me. A paramedic eventually came and zapped her twice but no response. In between the zaps he insisted on me continuing CPR. Whilst I was doing this she suddenly coughed and developed a pulse on his monitor. She survived after heart surgery. Turned up at my door one day as I was walking down the drive. Ran up and threw her arms around me in a flood of tears. She'd tracked me down.
Paramedic informed me that if you cannot feel a pulse it is still worth doing CPR as there is a chance of a very tiny pulse in there and CPR can keep the brain alive. Worth knowing.
So the futile, but obviously not, CPR was keeping the brain alive. I only saw her because I was up on the bike, as she lay between two parked cars and the place was deserted.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bigjim wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

I got a passing van driver to phone for help and worked on her for a good 15 mins. A retired nurse from a nearby house turned up and helped but she was unable to do the CPR as her hands were weak, so it was up to me. A paramedic eventually came and zapped her twice but no response. In between the zaps he insisted on me continuing CPR. Whilst I was doing this she suddenly coughed and developed a pulse on his monitor. She survived after heart surgery. Turned up at my door one day as I was walking down the drive. Ran up and threw her arms around me in a flood of tears. She'd tracked me down.
Paramedic informed me that if you cannot feel a pulse it is still worth doing CPR as there is a chance of a very tiny pulse in there and CPR can keep the brain alive. Worth knowing.
So the futile, but obviously not, CPR was keeping the brain alive. I only saw her because I was up on the bike, as she lay between two parked cars and the place was deserted.

Great story Jim and so glad it had a happy ending.
I've given CPR twice to workmates when I worked in the pit,both didn't survive.
It's a bit of a bummer when it doesn't work out.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

reohn2 wrote:
bigjim wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

Great story Jim and so glad it had a happy ending.
I've given CPR twice to workmates when I worked in the pit,both didn't survive.
It's a bit of a bummer when it doesn't work out.

The main thing is you tried, rather than just standing around.. The paramedic told me it's important to do something, even slapping them on the face or pushing them, if you are not trained or confident in CPR.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bigjim wrote:The main thing is you tried, rather than just standing around.. The paramedic told me it's important to do something, even slapping them on the face or pushing them, if you are not trained or confident in CPR.

I was a trained firstaider at the time,both men had massive heart attacks and both me and the other chaps I worked on them with agreed later we couldn't have done anymore than we did.
Sad thing about it in one instance was the pits were beginning to close,just after the '84 strike,and the 55 year old in question had just had notice of his redundancy,which would've meant a lump sum and a good pension which he never saw after 40years in the pit.
The other chap was only 48.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Cugel wrote:
Stradageek wrote:Does litter beget litter?

''''''''
Again, I suspect that one group walked away leaving their mess and everyone else just followed suit.

Much like drunken driving, I a massive re-education campaign may be needed to emphasise that littering is socially unacceptable. In my days my parents or the local copper would not have tolerated his behaviour

- or maybe there just wasn't all the excess packaging we have these days (Corona bottles got a refund, sweets came in paper bags, fast food didn't exist )

What do you think?

Litter was cast in the 50s and 60s but there wasn't a hundredth of litter available then, compared to now, to cast aside. The fundamental problem is, indeed, the makers of the litter who accept no responsibility or costs for dealing with it. It should be banned at source - in the factory making the stuff that's often as rubbishy as the packaging it's (excessively) wrapped in.

It's also true that littering begets littering. Several human behaviours follow this pattern, as we humans are defined by our ability and inclination to copy other humans.

I observe this in practice via my daily litter-pick along the Lancaster canal as I walk the dogs. If I manage to get the 10 miles or so of my walking sections clear of visible litter, very little subsequently appears in the next day, week or month. If I'm away for a month somewhere else, the litter has begun again on my return. If I don't remove it toot sweet, the littering will increase as the rubbish-consuming chavs cast the rubbish-wrapper next to the previous chav's chuck. I was away fro 15 months a couple of years ago and on return the canal footpath was awash with litter once more, despite the hundreds of bagfuls I've removed over the years.

Humans are dirty wee beasts if left outside of some pressing social norm to not be a dirty little beast. But these days social norms are regarded as some sort of interference with one's freedom to do as one likes on all occasions. The irony is that these littering non-conformists are in fact merely conforming to a different set of norms - eating and drinking junkfud then throwing away the junk wrappers.

Some of us do try to adhere to better social norms. Often we will be condemned as foolish do-gooders or even little hitlers "telling me what to do". I confess to having Hitleresque fantasies about chucking picnicking parties of littering boaters into the canal, after I've forced them to clean up all their detritus! So they must be right then ....

Dictator Cugel

Fascinating confirmation of my suspicions; sadly in Northamptonshire fly tipping also begets fly tipping though the council have twigged the 'begets' principle when it comes to graffiti which they paint over instantly.

Keep up the good work Cudgel and spread the word :)
peetee

Post by peetee »

I received an item from Amazon. The item was cradled in glossy cardboard and clear rigid plastic. The box was glossy cardboard and about 25% bigger than it needed to be due to the angle of the product inside. The box was wrapped in clear plastic. There was a plastic delivery wrapper.
Plastic and paper waste is often mentioned but what is the environmental impact of the production and disposal of all the dyes and inks used - often on non-visible packaging and therefore irrelevant to any marketing and display purposes?
This single product aside, Shimano are one of the worst culprits. Anyone who has ever received a boxed front mech will know what I mean but it's relevant to most of their products.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:Earlier this year I was walking through London and saw Boris Johnson cycling. He wasn't really 'found' - he hasn't yet been lost, although he often goes temporarily missing when he is in danger of being found out.

Does that count?

Plus One, are you sure it was him? He should be made a non-executive president of the ctc and encouraged to do much more cycling so he has no time for politricks :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Plus One, are you sure it was him? He should be made a non-executive president of the ctc and encouraged to do much more cycling so he has no time for politricks :wink:

As if it was possible to mistake Boris for a human being! I've seen him many times as I used to work in Westminster.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

bigjim

I'm glad your incident had a happy ending - I had misunderstood the bit about death rattle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:

As if it was possible to mistake Boris for a human being! I've seen him many times as I used to work in Westminster.

JoJo bears a strong resemblance to his brother BoJo :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:

You mean he's real!

It is a terrible shock to realise that these weird cartoonish people are not just inventions of some telly or filum director but real live hooman beens. I once went to America (only once!) and was surprised, dismayed and aghast that it's a real place with people in it doing and thinking what Americans do and think. I was convinced it would all be different from the tele programmes and Saturday matinees - that the media stuff portraying American politicians and such was just some form of bizarre entertainment. But they are all daft as brushes, with many mad as hatters.

Cugel, still convinced Boris is just an animated gonk escaped from a 1970s toyshop.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

If you want to slag off politicians and talk politics that are totally unrelated to the topic can you move your conversation to the appropriate forum!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

The utility cyclist wrote:If you want to slag off politicians and talk politics that are totally unrelated to the topic can you move your conversation to the appropriate forum!

No.

If you want to be a reedy-voiced schoolmarm offering up sniffy directives to the naughty boys, at least put on your gingham frock and pince-nez.

Cugel, who won't do lines neither.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes