Dinner For One

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Dinner For One

Post by mercalia »

Merco-Vision Proudly Presents
[youtube]b1v4BYV-YvA[/youtube]
Go on I dare you to laugh (or grimace)

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/dec/30/dinner-for-one-german-television-new-years-eve#img-1
Last edited by mercalia on 31 Dec 2018, 10:10am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Dinner For One

Post by Mick F »

Been on a thread on here a few years ago. :D
Excellent comedy, but you've missed out the first bit with the introduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FksV_7Z ... gs=pl%2Cwn

I found it by accident years ago on YouTube, and downloaded it in MP4 format.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I did see that one. Did you notice that it is a different viewpoint to the one I added?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes.
There's a few versions, but the one I linked is the best in our opinion.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Ha ha! I suppose, amongst the gamut of 'drunk' comedy acts, this one ranks pretty high! Freddie Frinton was briefly in sitcom on BBC, in a show called Meet The Wife - but he died fairly young alas!

While we're on the topic of 'drunk' acts, I still think this is one of the best: admirably performed by Robert Downey Jr as Chaplin in the movie of that title:
[youtube]wD7mz6nUDIA[/youtube]
This is based on an actual act performed by Charlie Chaplin, before he got into movies as the Tramp. Enjoy!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
softlips

Post by softlips »

My German and Dutch colleagues used to go on about this every year - always thought we watched it in the UK every NYE like they seem to.

When I said I’d never seen they recorded it one year and brought it in for me to watch at lunchtime.

I thought it was rubbish to be honest.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

softlips wrote:My German and Dutch colleagues used to go on about this every year - always thought we watched it in the UK every NYE like they seem to.

When I said I’d never seen they recorded it one year and brought it in for me to watch at lunchtime.

well it is very old? also says some thing about German/Dutch native products that they have to trot out a 50+ year old UK short-com every year. or maybe so drunk by that time that anything would look good?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:Ha ha! I suppose, amongst the gamut of 'drunk' comedy acts, this one ranks pretty high! Freddie Frinton was briefly in sitcom on BBC, in a show called Meet The Wife - but he died fairly young alas!

While we're on the topic of 'drunk' acts, I still think this is one of the best: admirably performed by Robert Downey Jr as Chaplin in the movie of that title:
[youtube]wD7mz6nUDIA[/youtube]
This is based on an actual act performed by Charlie Chaplin, before he got into movies as the Tramp. Enjoy!

did he get an Oscar for that performance, he should have done?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:
softlips wrote:My German and Dutch colleagues used to go on about this every year - always thought we watched it in the UK every NYE like they seem to.

well it is very old? also says some thing about German/Dutch native products that they have to trot out a 50+ year old UK short-com every year. or maybe so drunk by that time that anything would look good?

Just a tradition encouraged by the media like eating jam doughnuts, letting off fireworks and not going to bed at a decent hour on 31.12 :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:did he get an Oscar for that performance, he should have done?
I presume you mean Downey. According to IMDB, nominated, but didn't win the Oscar: he got the BAFTA though.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:

There are numerous skits and local dialect versions of it but I think Freddie Frinton is a comic genius who had the audience going from the first walk, long before the drink's started flowing, and the 90th Birthday aka Dinner for One stands up alongside Four Candles (there's more in Birthday, but it's much longer), ahead of any particular performance of Dead Parrot (it's good in theory but none of the recordings seem faultless) but not quite up to Andrew Preview.

I've watched it tonight, same procedure as every year for over a decade, and tomorrow morning is the New Year Concert from Vienna, 1015-1245 UK time on ORF2 BBC2 and many others.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Where have all our comics gone..........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Where have all our comics gone..........

Stand up seems in fine fettle, with plenty of gigs recorded for TV and panel shows full of stand-ups but I'm not sure there are many sketch shows just now. There are a few sitcoms but how often do they get very famous?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

It's a must watch in Sweden too. My friends from Stockholm showed it to me last month, can't say I thought it all that funny though, even the new improved colour version :lol:

[youtube]GD8k1CnVeAQ[/youtube]
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

As i mention in another thread we just get Jools Holland’s lie every year. May be we would be better off with Dinner for One?