Carradice saddle bags

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

glueman wrote:Outside cafes and shops I tend to remove camera, wallet and valuables and the rest stays. If I were to linger a bit longer, say an hour or so in a library and couldn't be bothered taking my usual junk out, I may slip a tie round the buckles to deter prying fingers.

I want this more to be able to carry my clothes, lunch, book, glasses etc to work and be able to quickly get them out so I can get to the office. I guess a couple of plastic bags or a small rucksack would work also.

I certainly like the idea of not having to buy silly brackets etc. I'm largely sold on the idea, it's just finding out the details since I can't easily go and look at any!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
glueman

Post by glueman »

thirdcrank wrote:Usually by now, glueman has posted the excellent link to the site with all the 'no bagloop work arounds.'
)

I've forsaken that link, partly because people beat me to it, partly because the word has been spread but mostly because the industrial aesthetic can be a bit off-putting to newcomers who might consider Carradice to be something from Brunel.
You and I may revel in a whole aisle of B&Q being implemented to hold a bicycle bag in position but in this time poor, style rich age a cable tie has (mostly) shot our fox.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

thirdcrank wrote:fatboy

If you have a B17 with bagloops, my recommendation, and I thought this was something I had plugged ad nauseam is the Karrimor Uplift:

No my saddle doesn't have loops (San Marco Rolls) but yes I've got some great advice from glueman about work arounds. It does look that the Uplift was great, shame you can't get them anymore! Mind you I've got a rear rack so supporting the weight isn't the issue (I think).
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

glueman wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
I intended to mention but forgot that decent saddlebags have D-rings on the flap for the carrying of a rolled-up cape.

There was a period when Carradice dropped the D-ring and replaced it with a sewn on leather panel with two slots for a strap. Both did much the same job but I agree the D-ring shades it and they've returned to them.
Talking arcana my oldest bag not only had a Bakerlite badge, buckles with advice on, D-rings and a long flap but leather trim to the pockets, etc., not just webbing reinforcement. The reinforced bottom panel was also leather. Them were the days.

Looking at the website, I think there is one now with the leather patch with slots in for the cape. I remember my dear old dad had one bought late 1950's but I fancy his was one of the versions with no side pockets.

Glueman's post has reminded me of just about the only design weakness on mine: the mounting for the seatpost fixing strap is not fixed through the reinforced area and began to pull through. My Carradice Super C has this remedied - cannot speak for current Camper models.

PS I mentioned the Uplift to answer the quick removal at work query.
glueman

Post by glueman »

The absolute zenith of cotton duck bag attachments was made by a bloke who plied his trade for a few brief years at York Rally. It was an act of pure stupidity that I never bought one.
It was a kind of aluminium (?) bracket with a slot that attached to the saddle into which a substantial wooden dowel that fixed to the bag was placed that became the carrying handle. Or something like that. It pushed all my Practical Fettler buttons, was fairly attractive and worked cos I know people who bought them.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

fatboy

If there are still any aspects of the transportation of goods by cycle in cotton duck containers made in Lancashire that remain uncovered but interest you, feel free to post and I will take some pics. Fortunately, in that department I have moved forward from the 20C to the 21C and I can post them on here. Feel free to ask.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

glueman wrote:The absolute zenith of cotton duck bag attachments was made by a bloke who plied his trade for a few brief years at York Rally. It was an act of pure stupidity that I never bought one.
It was a kind of aluminium (?) bracket with a slot that attached to the saddle into which a substantial wooden dowel that fixed to the bag was placed that became the carrying handle. Or something like that. It pushed all my Practical Fettler buttons, was fairly attractive and worked cos I know people who bought them.

The Kwiklift, sold by a Mr W.G.Lord, I believe.

The bracket that attached to the saddle was custom designed for each model of saddle, with the cutouts for the saddle rails in the square tubing differing.
The saddlebag part could be either a wooden dowel with a bolt in each end, or (more expensive) an aluminium cylinder with bag support, as in this one.

The only problem I had was a bit of a rattle (which the plastic tubing on the support failed to fully suppress), and that it's a 1 saddlebag, 1 bike solution now I can't get a second support. I use a Bagman QR now, because I can clip any saddlebag to it (Barley -> Super-C).
A suggested improvement I've head would be to replace the 2 end bolts in the dowel by a rear wheel QR. It would make the support attachments in the aluminium version tricky though.
glueman

Post by glueman »

The very thing. The Bagman is the natural inheritor of Mr Lord's genius but doesn't look so much like a bouncing bomb sight.
On the subject of squeaks and rattles - and a club run of Carradice user's can sound like the original Tambourine Man - I line the saddlebag with one of those closed cell foam seat pads. Deadens the sound, protects delicate contents and handy for damp rest stops. I may have already said that.

Thanks for that info andrew. Was the Fullers' tasty?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

glueman wrote:Was the Fullers' tasty?

It was indeed. It was a one-off bottle that had lurked in the back of the cupboard. The oldest I've got now is 2003
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This just brings me back to my oft-recounted conversation with the Brooks rep at the York Rally who told me that there was no demand for saddles with bagloops.

A whole cottage-industry spawned which made heath robinson look minimalist.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Here's another, rather elegant, option for a saddlebag quick release.

On a separate note, does anyone carry a laptop in their saddlebag? I have a small, light, laptop which I carry in my pannier, suitably protected by a neoprene and closed cell foam case. The case is small enough to go in a Camper Longflap (along with my other commuting gear; 5Kg in total); anyone see any problems with this idea?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

kwkirby02

The irony of that elegant looking solution, is that my 'chum' from Brooks emphasised that most of their market was abroad and that the saddlebag was only a UK thing.

Your solution is priced in $ and quite a lot of them.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Your solution is priced in $ and quite a lot of them.
Agreed it isn't cheap, but it is nice.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

kwkirby02 wrote:On a separate note, does anyone carry a laptop in their saddlebag? I have a small, light, laptop which I carry in my pannier, suitably protected by a neoprene and closed cell foam case. The case is small enough to go in a Camper Longflap (along with my other commuting gear; 5Kg in total); anyone see any problems with this idea?

I occasionally carry mine, a 17" Apple Macbook Pro, also in a Camper Longflap. I just wrap it in an old t-shirt and a bubble-wrap bag. It has not broken so far!
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

How about this Nitto saddle bag grip: http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/ba ... uct=20-109
Willem