Edit a gpx file - advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

Edit a gpx file - advice

Post by simonineaston »

Hi folks, been a while since I visited this forum as I've been walking as opposed to cycling a lot recently, but that shouldn't stop me dropping by and also, saying A Happy New Year to all you lovely readers!
I've been enjoying Satmap's rejuvenated Xpedition webiste, built I think on up-to-date html code instead of Microsoft's now abandoned Silverlight. It's good in a lot of ways, but as is usual with updated software, some of the useful features of the previous version have disappeared. In particular, I found the ability to edit the properties of the route line useful - it was easy to change the colour, the width & the tranparency of the route line before the file was downloaded. In the new version, this is not so.
Can anyone recommend a simple way to edit the line properties of the downloaded gpx file, on my Mac?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
tempsperdu

Re: Edit a gpx file - advice

Post by tempsperdu »

Pretty sure you can do all that in Garmin BaseCamp but only used MS version but cant imagine that there is not an Mac version.
You can drag gpx files into BaseCamp so don't need a device to download and watch out for the dreaded blue flags obscuring your path.
Easy to change and reset once you know how.
Garmin have also over complicated things with Routes and Tracks so you will need to get the right one to export.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Can you get Viking for a Mac? That's my usual tool for complex editing. Very simple edits (deleting bits where I forgot to switch off the logger) I sometimes do with a text editor when I know roughly the coordinates and that I stopped at about the point I want to cut (so the speed tags stop).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cheers, folks - no Viking for Mac, but there is indeed a Mac flavour BaseCamp - and it's free! Jolly Hockey Sticks!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

If you want to edit a gpx file then I have had good experience using the below website:
http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk - Gpx editing website

The website seems to cope very well with editing gpx 'route' files (I did not try editing gpx 'track' files). My understanding of the difference between the two file types is that a route file is a series of points (lat/long) you wish to visit (together with the point_name/road_name and a comment). This type would be used to plan a journey.

A track file by contrast is a series of points that have been visited during a journey and a track file type is therefore larger than a route file type because a track file has more sampling points.

There is one Gotcha I discovered with loading a gpx route file into a Garmin before a journey starts. This is the Garmin may try to short circuit e.g. a route between 3 points if it decides there is something 'better'. In my specific case 'better' meant taking a very gnarly cycle track with tree roots, 90 deg turns, and poorly signed.

I believe changing the route display colour will be a feature of the map software used to display the gpx file. But sorry I am not familiar with mac software.