New SPD pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

New SPD pedals

Post by Brucey »

some new SPD pedals are here, including;

PD-EH500; think of them as PD-A530 ish but made grippier by the addition of studs on the flat side

PD-ES600; think of it as a modified PD-A600 but without the full cage and made slightly wider so that there is more support on the outside. Lightest current SPD pedal at 279g a pair.

wow, it is almost like shimano were looking at what folk wanted..... :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
alexnharvey

Re: New SPD pedals

Post by alexnharvey »

Amazing. Also it is interesting that they've switched to torx heads on the ES600.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The major problem with those pedals,in fact any singlesided SPD's is that they're singlesided.
A feature I've never been able get along with,it's almost like a step back to toe clips and straps.
Doublesided SPD's work soooooo much better without fiddling about with my foot to get the correct side up for any given footwear
My 2d's worth.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Brucey wrote:

cheers

Won't tempt me away from XT PD-T8000 and their predecessor. The PD-EH500 look a similar concept, but without a solid pedal reflector that doesn't break off. The XT pedals have been fantastic touring pedals.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

The one thing about the new A600 is which way will they "fall" ?
Falling forward will make them harder to clip in than if they fell back.
I have a pair of the original A600 and really like them. (except for the price now. :( )
You'll never know if you don't try it.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

It doesn't look like the A600 will take a spanner which would put me off. I have some lovely pedals that are now permanently attached to the cranks despite all attempts to remove them. :(
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

geocycle wrote:It doesn't look like the A600 will take a spanner which would put me off. I have some lovely pedals that are now permanently attached to the cranks despite all attempts to remove them. :(

Your right the A600 will only use an Allen key to fit. I have mine on my summer bike but have A520s on other bikes:-
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... 28051?mx=a
The A600 is slightly lighter and has a broader foot-plate.
Besides the non-spanner fitting another downside is they are easily scratched. :x
You'll never know if you don't try it.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Have we discussed antiseize on the forum recently?! A simple remedy that ought to reduce or remove the worry about Allen key only pedals. I'm yet to have a problem removing any part I've fitted since adopting antiseize about 8 years ago, or where a previous owner has obviously used it.

Too late for pedals that are already stuck, obviously.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

dunno which way PD-ES600 will 'fall'; will the first person who gets some post here to say? I have used most of the other 'abbreviated' single sided SPDs eg Dura Ace, Ultegra, PD-A525, PD-A515, and they mostly hang rear down, but they also have less metalwork at the front than the new PD-ES600 too, so there is no way to be certain without trying it.

Single sided SPDs such as PD-ES600 make a lot of sense if you are a dyed in the wool SPD user across several bikes, and also have a road bike with which you don't want to use 'special shoes'.

Re allen key-only fixing; I'm not wildly enthusiastic about it either but pedals of that type provide extra incentive to make sure that the threads are kept well-treated with anti-seize or grease. In any event if the spindles seize in the cranks, heat is usually required to shift them. In fairness even if you can't remove the pedals you can still service the bearings in situ. If the end comes and you need to separate them you can destroy either the crank of the pedal spindle and save the other, so it isn't quite the end of the world.

cheers
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

alexnharvey wrote:Have we discussed antiseize on the forum recently?! A simple remedy that ought to reduce or remove the worry about Allen key only pedals. I'm yet to have a problem removing any part I've fitted since adopting antiseize about 8 years ago, or where a previous owner has obviously used it.

I think there are a fair number of variables involved on whether something seizes. I use antiseize on pedals on all my bikes, most are fine but it didn't work on one set. My only suggestion if going down the allen key only route would be to remove and regrease them regularly. Having spanner flats just seems a very simple modification for shimano to make with very little loss of aesthetics and no performance implications.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Do you,like me,nip down the shops on a bike that you use for runs out and don,t want to change shoes just for a paper.These are ideal.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

geocycle wrote:
alexnharvey wrote:Have we discussed antiseize on the forum recently?! A simple remedy that ought to reduce or remove the worry about Allen key only pedals. I'm yet to have a problem removing any part I've fitted since adopting antiseize about 8 years ago, or where a previous owner has obviously used it.

I think there are a fair number of variables involved on whether something seizes. I use antiseize on pedals on all my bikes, most are fine but it didn't work on one set. My only suggestion if going down the allen key only route would be to remove and regrease them regularly. Having spanner flats just seems a very simple modification for shimano to make with very little loss of aesthetics and no performance implications.

Apologies if this is B-obvious but if you want anti-seize (or grease) to work properly, don't be shy with it. Specifically you need to coat both pieces all over before you assemble the parts; coating just one part (eg the pedal thread) is not adequate, because the coating is pretty well completely removed at the start of the screw thread by the time the pedal is wound in.

If you want to demonstrate this to yourself, coat a bolt and run a clean nut (with about ten threads in it) over it. If the threads are a reasonable tolerance, there is usually very little anti-seize remaining on the end of the bolt as it pokes out of the far side of the nut.

If you coat both parts then you might be in danger of using more anti-seize than is strictly necessary; this isn't wasted, because it can always be wiped up and transferred to somewhere convenient (eg the lip of the tub) so that it can be used for non-critical assemblies.

cheers
peetee

Post by peetee »

Brucey wrote:some new SPD pedals are here,

cheers

How preposterous!
Next you will be telling us they are introducing a groupset designed specifically to be durable and sturdy. :wink:
Last edited by peetee on 4 Jan 2019, 11:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

reohn2 wrote:The major problem with those pedals,in fact any singlesided SPD's is that they're singlesided.
A feature I've never been able get along with,it's almost like a step back to toe clips and straps.
Doublesided SPD's work soooooo much better without fiddling about with my foot to get the correct side up for any given footwear
My 2d's worth.

Step back? I prefer those. In fact one strap has broken and I haven't bothered to replace it. I hardly seem to notice. However I don't like riding with flat pedals.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Why do Shimano feel it necessary to give a painted / anodised finish to SPD pedals? Surely they are just going to look rubbish after being struck with metal cleats for a year or two. I have A520s on a couple of bikes and the natural silver finish stays looking more or less the same no matter how much they are used. Very close up you can see scratches if you are looking for them, but nothing to offend the eye.

PD-ES600 is going to rest the wrong way. The weight needs to be on the tail not the nose. Heavy tail, light nose. Those pedals will be a pig to engage. The venerable old A520 is superior to these in every aspect apart from weight, and they use that extra bit of weight to good purpose. Once they have loosened up a bit with use they rest the right way to engage, having the tail weight. They have the spanner flats. And they are silver already, so won't gradually become silver through scratching. A520s are what PD-ES600s would become if all the defects were sorted.

And I have experience of allen key pedals getting stuck even after liberal application of Finish Line copper slip anti-seize, so the lack of a spanner flat bothers me.
Last edited by pwa on 5 Jan 2019, 11:02am, edited 3 times in total.