I am not a vegan

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: I am not a vegan

Post by Bonefishblues »

Why are there too many dogs & cats, can I ask?

We have a couple. They are useless, much like other family members, but they are part of our family and make their own contribution.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Bonefishblues wrote:Why are there too many dogs & cats, can I ask?

We have a couple. They are useless, much like other family members, but they are part of our family and make their own contribution.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this report, but see here:
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 78086.html
I'm not telling dog and cat-owners to get rid of their pets. I'm telling people who are thinking of acquiring a pet, perhaps to entertain the children - or of replacing one that's recently deceased - have a good long think about it.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I AM LEGION ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:

Plus One, the article is written in an interesting American English :wink:
It might be best to keep a herbivorous pet, a hamster or a cow or a sheep maybe, any others that do not eat meat?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Our pet ( 6 ) is funny, entertaining, loving, trusting, reliable ....
Our children (14, 9, 7 ) are madcap, angry, placid, loving, happy, trust nothing, unreliable, bite ..

The mix works .......... :lol:
Be more Mike.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

Plus One, the article is written in an interesting American English :wink:
It might be best to keep a herbivorous pet, a hamster or a cow or a sheep maybe, any others that do not eat meat?

Darn, I just shot the elephant - should have kept that one instead!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:Our pet ( 6 ) is funny, entertaining, loving, trusting, reliable ....
Our children (14, 9, 7 ) are madcap, angry, placid, loving, happy, trust nothing, unreliable, bite ..

The mix works .......... :lol:

Plus One for children
If I want to bite a dog, where might be the best place? I mean the best part of the body to bite?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Plus One for children
If I want to bite a dog, where might be the best place?....
Not here, at the very least... :shock:

... I mean the best part of the body to bite?
(*phew!*)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:If I want to bite a dog, where might be the best place? I mean the best part of the body to bite?

Westie's ... Ears ..bite their ears ....... they hate it and will run a mile ..... :lol:
Be more Mike.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

661-Pete wrote:A dog is not a human. If I kept a dog (or a cat), I would certainly not deprive it of meat. But that presupposes that I would keep a dog in the first place.

I know that for many people a dog is a great comfort and excellent companion - but then I am not the same as many people. And there are just too many dogs! I wonder what the carbon footprint of the whole planet's worth of pet cats and dogs, amounts to (perhaps someone can supply the answer)?

So my take is: if you don't absolutely need a dog, don't keep one....

I absolutely need two - and they need me. We are a pack and roam free, putting the willies up soft-lads everywhere!

We did once try to feed the dogs with vegetarian stuff; even did the necessary research to find it and make sure it provided enough nutriments.

Two things: the evil terrible awful dogpharts; the disinclination of the dawgs to eat the stuff along with a sudden urge to get free and look for alternatives, such as next door's cat and possibly a few slow bairns.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cugel wrote:I absolutely need two - and they need me. We are a pack and roam free, putting the willies up soft-lads everywhere!

We did once try to feed the dogs with vegetarian stuff; even did the necessary research to find it and make sure it provided enough nutriments.

Two things: the evil terrible awful dogpharts; the disinclination of the dawgs to eat the stuff along with a sudden urge to get free and look for alternatives, such as next door's cat and possibly a few slow bairns.

Cugel

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Be more Mike.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Forget the 'veggie dog' meme - it's a red herring. Or should I say, "red setter" or whatnot? I'm talking about the entire pooch populace - veggie or not...
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

661-Pete wrote:Forget the 'veggie dog' meme - it's a red herring. Or should I say, "red setter" or whatnot? I'm talking about the entire pooch populace - veggie or not...

Well, if there was an inadvisable referendum and someone were foolish enough to pose the question: should we exterminate dogs or exterminate humans, as pests, I'd vote for a cull of the humans, even though I might well be near the front of the queue! Humans are quite murderous, you know. And they rarely eat their kills of other humans, unlike the economical dog. We even chuck 25% of the food animals we murder into the bin!

Anyway, I advise you not to attempt the extermination of my collies as I will become very unreasonable about it, bordering on berserk.

Cugel the collie (part)
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ben@Forest wrote:
pwa wrote:If you could be bothered you can, apparently, give a dog all its dietary requirements through a vegetarian diet. Obviously you would have to do some proper research to get it right. You can't do the same with cats though.

There is a clip of film where a dog owner is telling TV presenters her dog is vegetarian and prefers that diet. The presenter then puts down bowls of dog food one with meat and one without. Without hesitation the dog makes a beeline for the meat. I haven't seen it but my wife has, the look of disappointment on the owner's face is apparently very amusing.

:lol: Yes, and if I were attempting to feed a dog a vegetarian diet I would do some serious reading first. However, when I was a teenager I had a boxer dog that liked eating apples, so I know that dogs have a wide range of things they like to eat. I wouldn't want to deprive a dog of any nutrient it needed, though.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Enough on doggies: back to veganism: here at least is one individual who's most unhappy about the whole principle.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-46761359
I have to say, the poster on the bus depicting a 'happy' calf (and the one lower down featuring a smiling pig) doesn't quite convey the right message to me. If veganism ever did become mainstream, most of these cute farm animals would disappear. And the landscape upon which they are reared would be irrevocably altered.

But having said that, I'm all in favour of promoting this idea to as many people as possible. Only a small proportion of readers will actually 'bite' - but a few is better than none. And we really are producing and consuming far too much meat. That much is indisputable.