Worst dog incidents, and tips for dealing with them

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ontherivet77

Re: Worst dog incidents, and tips for dealing with them

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Both are true :wink:
Pets and pests

Alternative facts welcome

A friend of mine is a pest controller and he puts down poison and shoots genuine pests in the locale. If you are saying that dogs enter that category then I feel sorry for you.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Ontherivet77 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Both are true :wink:
Pets and pests

Alternative facts welcome

A friend of mine is a pest controller and he puts down poison and shoots genuine pests in the locale. If you are saying that dogs enter that category then I feel sorry for you.

There are degrees of peskiness, with corresponding degrees in appropriate responses. The nomenclatures of English can be pestilential themselves, as words vary so much in meaning depending on the word-user and the context in which the words are used.

For example, I try to be a pest in a certain cycling forum, to those notions put forth that seem to need worrying-at. It would be over-the-top (I hope) for the UC or some other utterer of a nogged-notion to have me exterminated for pestering their meme with a mock-nibble or even a bit of scorn-micturate down their meme-trousers!

On the other hand, should I go about in the real world driving my lethal four-wheeled weapon at innocents, perhaps I should be put-down before I create a serious carnage? Happily I drive very carefully indeed, not so much out of fear of being put-down (motoring crimes are no longer crimes but merely understandable faux pas) but because I am nice and would feel very bad indeed should I crush someone, or even just cause them to cycle into a hedge.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
irc

Post by irc »

My take on it. I almost never try and outrun a dog as this re-enforces bikes being something to chase. Also unless you are sure the dog won't catch up there is a risk of a crash with either the dog getting under a wheel or the rider looking back at the dog and not at the road. I stop and dismount. If the dog is friendly I talk to it then walk away. Usually the dog then loses interest as I'm not playing the chasing game.

For unfriendly dogs or if I am unsure I'll keep the bike between us while shouting and the dog to "go home." Usually this resolves things and I can walk away. Even in the USA where in some areas there are lots of loose dogs this has only failed twice. Both times the owners heard their dog continuing to bark and came out and retrieved them.

Maybe it helps that I keep dogs myself and I'm not the least bit scared of them?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

-My dog used to chase anyone on a bike!

-How did you stop her?

-I took her bike away!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
sjs

Post by sjs »

That's better than any of your jokes on the joke thread.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

The french are a very practical nation. Their answer to the four legged perishers was Revolver de Poche or Velo Dog.
A small, two shot derringer that could be carried down the sock.
Sticks carried across the handle bars, Shoes with nails protruding, Pepper sprays! Forget it.
The well aimed bulleted round would be much more effective!!
pwa

Post by pwa »

arnsider wrote:The french are a very practical nation. Their answer to the four legged perishers was Revolver de Poche or Velo Dog.
A small, two shot derringer that could be carried down the sock.
Sticks carried across the handle bars, Shoes with nails protruding, Pepper sprays! Forget it.
The well aimed bulleted round would be much more effective!!

I'll give it a go but if it causes consternation and the firearms people are called out I'll hold you to blame. :)
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

I'm beginning to wonder if "Dog stuff" ought to get its own sub-forum, like the one for h**mets?