How can I use this space?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jgurney

Re: How can I use this space?

Post by jgurney »

I remember seeing that someone at a past York Rally had an old primus type stove which fitted in that space and had a quick release clip to attach it to the tube.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/t ... ment.9206/

We did have a long-running thread about Terry's Primus stove frame clips, but it was on the "Wanted" section so when nobody had posted for a while it auto-deleted.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Slightly off, but where are you going and why do you need so many innertubes? I'm off to Burma shortly and will carry one, at most two.

Cut the number of tubes and it avoids the need for the bag at all. Job done.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

simonhill wrote:I'm off to Burma shortly and will carry one, at most two. Cut the number of tubes and it avoids the need for the bag at all. Job done.

So how will you go on with one or two tubes? Depending on the type of puncture you may be out of luck with puncture repair patches, so what will you do if you are a considerable distance from a bike shop? For the weight / low cost of an inner tube, it seems a no brainier not to stock up on a few more. I would rather loose come clothes / food than loose some spare tubes.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

tommydog wrote:
simonhill wrote:I'm off to Burma shortly and will carry one, at most two. Cut the number of tubes and it avoids the need for the bag at all. Job done.

So how will you go on with one or two tubes? Depending on the type of puncture you may be out of luck with puncture repair patches, so what will you do if you are a considerable distance from a bike shop? For the weight / low cost of an inner tube, it seems a no brainier not to stock up on a few more. I would rather loose come clothes / food than loose some spare tubes.

I don't anticipate getting lots of punctures. I have good, not worn, tyres - Marathon Supremes. The bottom line is that if I used all my tubes and patches, I would do whatever I would do (taxi or bus or hitch, etc) for any other non fixable problem.

I'm not sure what your puncture per day/per trip is, but mine is pretty low. I rode nearly 5,000kms on tour in far flung lands in 2018 and had no punctures. Ironically, got one on Southend seafront just before Christmas.

I rarely mend punctures, but in the developing world, I just get the next bike place (rarely a proper shop) to mend it for a few pence. I have never carried more than 2 tubes and never needed more than one. A couple of years ago, I only had one tube, but was about to ride a couple of hundred kms of dirt (HCM Trail) and so I bought another spare from a shop in the last town before the ride. I still have that heavy Chinese tube, never used it or the other spare I was carrying.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

tommydog wrote:

If you start off with tyres/tubes in good condition and look after them there is no reason to expect lots of deflations. I used to take 4 tubes on tour but i've cut that to two as by experience that's more than enough. On tour I average 1.5 punctures, the most i've ever had was 2. Provided you are reasonably equipped with patches etc there is no need to lump around all those extras.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!