New SPD pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: New SPD pedals

Post by reohn2 »

MikeF wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The major problem with those pedals,in fact any singlesided SPD's is that they're singlesided.
A feature I've never been able get along with,it's almost like a step back to toe clips and straps.
Doublesided SPD's work soooooo much better without fiddling about with my foot to get the correct side up for any given footwear
My 2d's worth.

Step back? I prefer those. In fact one strap has broken and I haven't bothered to replace it. I hardly seem to notice. However I don't like riding with flat pedals.

If you don't ride anything else but toeclips,with or without straps that's your prerogative,but my meaning was that having to flick a pedal to the correct side on a flat/SPD pedal such as in the OP or to get the foot into a toeclip is IMO a bind(sorry) after using double sided SPD's.
Personally I'd rather change to cycle specific shoes than use single sided pedals or toe clips.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:....And I have experience of allen key pedals getting stuck even after liberal application of copper slip anti-seize, so the lack of a spanner flat bothers me.

Another good point,and is the main reason I've only ever bought M520 (doublesided) SPD's and not the more expensive M540's.I've read on the forum and elsewhere of people having real problems with Allen key only pedals when trying to remove them as you say even with liberal coatings of copper grease on assembly.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:The major problem with those pedals,in fact any singlesided SPD's is that they're singlesided.
A feature I've never been able get along with,it's almost like a step back to toe clips and straps.
Doublesided SPD's work soooooo much better without fiddling about with my foot to get the correct side up for any given footwear
My 2d's worth.

I use both and find very little difference. But that is because I have spent the best part of twenty years living with both. Single sided and double sided SPDs. I think I subconsciously use my single sided technique for both types of pedal, even though it is only necessary for the single sided. My foot approaches the pedal from behind, moving forward to nudge the raised nose of the single side pedal and make it horizontal and the right way up, with the cleat then coming down onto the mechanism. It works well, sometimes requiring a bit of a fumble but nothing more than that. And when I use double sided SPDs I just do the same, unthinkingly, with the same result. New single sided SPDs can be a bit stiff and don't rest the right way until they have loosened up, so they can be a pain for a while.

But you have the pedals that you are used to, they are working, and you would be daft to change.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

pwa wrote: ...PD-ES600 is going to rest the wrong way. The weight needs to be on the tail not the nose. Heavy tail, light nose. Those pedals will be a pig to engage....

it appears quite likely but one cannot be sure without seeing the pedals in the flesh; the front bit might be lighter than you think.

….. The venerable old A520 is superior to these in every aspect ....

I disagree; PD-ES600 is quite a bit wider than PD-A520 and this matters to folk with wide feet.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

Brucey wrote:
pwa wrote: ...PD-ES600 is going to rest the wrong way. The weight needs to be on the tail not the nose. Heavy tail, light nose. Those pedals will be a pig to engage....

it appears quite likely but one cannot be sure without seeing the pedals in the flesh; the front bit might be lighter than you think.

….. The venerable old A520 is superior to these in every aspect ....

I disagree; PD-ES600 is quite a bit wider than PD-A520 and this matters to folk with wide feet.

cheers

Any width difference looks trivial. Using the mechanism as a visual reference. 2mm on the outside edge? The A520 already has a triangular extension to the flat surface on the inside edge, extending over the cylindrical axle housing.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

My wife has the A530 on her touring bike as she likes to be unclipped when climbing dirt and gravel hills. Wondering if I could modify her pedals with these "screws"??
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

If they hang nose down that will be the right way for people who mostly ride in normal shoes but want to occasionally use SPDs. For instance, on a bike that's mostly used for shopping and similar but also goes on tour once in a while.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

My experience. I use A600 single sided on my solo road bikes and find it simple enough to flip the pedal with my foot to clip in. I use A520 double sided on our tandem, where once we get moving I just want to be able to put my foot on the pedal and clip in. Likewise on the mountain bike it's A520s. Horses for courses. I too don't like pedals that don't have flats. Bad practice IMO.

Ian
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Woodtourer wrote:My wife has the A530 on her touring bike as she likes to be unclipped when climbing dirt and gravel hills. Wondering if I could modify her pedals with these "screws"??

You wouldn't be the first. Drill and tap. Some have ground them flat first. Eg https://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/sh ... 32551.html
pwa

Post by pwa »

iandusud wrote:My experience. I use A600 single sided on my solo road bikes and find it simple enough to flip the pedal with my foot to clip in. I use A520 double sided on our tandem, where once we get moving I just want to be able to put my foot on the pedal and clip in. Likewise on the mountain bike it's A520s. Horses for courses. I too don't like pedals that don't have flats. Bad practice IMO.

Ian

I think you mean M520 rather than A520. The latter is single sided.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this photograph compares PD-A520 with PD-A600

I am lucky enough to have narrowish feet and the difference between them doesn't matter much to me (in fact I may not have even noticed the difference at first). Those with wider feet find otherwise.

You can usually see wear marks like these

on such pedals, showing that the extra width is probably doing something. The PD-A600 model has a distinct extra lip on the edge of the body to provide the extra width;

Although PD-ES600 is usefully wider than PD-A520 it may not be quite as wide as PD-A600, in fact.

Need to get them side by side to be sure.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

Thanks for the comparison pictures, which do as you say show useful extra width on the outer edge. I still hate the way it is finished with paint, though, on a surface that is going to get real abuse. Why? And I would be surprised if that new pedal tips the right way even after a bedding in period.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

reohn2 wrote:
MikeF wrote:
My 2d's worth.

Step back? I prefer those. In fact one strap has broken and I haven't bothered to replace it. I hardly seem to notice. However I don't like riding with flat pedals.

If you don't ride anything else but toeclips,with or without straps that's your prerogative,but my meaning was that having to flick a pedal to the correct side on a flat/SPD pedal such as in the OP or to get the foot into a toeclip is IMO a bind(sorry) after using double sided SPD's.
Personally I'd rather change to cycle specific shoes than use single sided pedals or toe clips.

The problem is I always have problems finding shoes to fit, so I don't want my feet to be constrained into cycling specific ones. I usually cycle wearing a pair of Aldi shoes I bought a few years ago, but they are beginning to show signs of wear now.

I have always used straps but since I've been lazy and not replaced the broken one I'm not sure I need them.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Single sided can be great on a recumbent.
If they are back wieghted they should ALWAYS rest at just the right angle to engage the cleat, that is almost vertical, cleat facing the rider.
On a steep hill start it's a fair distance to move the foot and accurate engagement is a real boon.
A cheap Wellgo pair are excellent in this regard, I wouldn't want anything else.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

meh, copies what VP and Wellgo have produced already
VP R62, far bigger platform with studs, the shimano variant is pretty much a copy.

Wellgo have had larger platform single sided SPD for a long while, the additional out front section of the Shimano pedal serves no beneficial purpose whatsoever, as for side support on the ES600, again this is completely without merit, a few marks on the side mean nothing, if you have even a slightly stiff sole then you'll get even less than nothing and won't do diddly squat to give support, foot stability, I don't think so, even for those with very small feet which would have more influence than those with bigger feet.

I've tried numerous single sided SPD road pedals including the three early Shimano offerings last century, plus also 2 Wellgo variants in the early 00s, )RC713s and a magnesium variant), later tried the A520/A600 and for me the Shimano singled sided offer nothing over the wellgo pedals nor the Ultegra/DA of yesteryear so it's really not worth getting them IMHO.
You might as well stick to something like the XT pedals in whichever variant if you're sticking with the big S. I was lucky enough to get a used once pair for £20 so I could retire my 737s, but for true offroad I'd look elsewhere.
Attachments
VP stud pedal.JPG