Hub dynamo comparison

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AngieG

Re: Hub dynamo comparison

Post by AngieG »

I have got a LUXOS LUMOTEC light with USB which I love, but recently the light got broken off.. (maybe vandalism, I don't know.) I am completely non tec, but I managed to stick it back on with UHU glue, and i re-attached the wires ... but I couldn't find any information about where to attach the wires ... there are four possibilities in the lamp. Now the lamp only works when I am pedalling quite fast and does not does not hold the charge ... i.e. if I pedal slower or stop at the traffic lights the light goes out where as it used to stay on .. Have I connected it incorrectly? or is the cache battery damaged. If so can the cache battery be replaced rather than going to the expense of a new light? I'd be very grateful for any in put.
Angie
The first image is of the wires attaching to the dynamo. This has not been changed. The second one is how I have reattached the wires to the light.
Attachments
IMG_9188.JPG
IMG_9187.JPG
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the headlight connections on the right are marked 'in' and must be connected to the generator. The polarity only matters if there is more than one part of the system which has an 'earth return' arrangement. In practice it is easy enough to try the connections both ways round and see which works best.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

AngieG wrote:... the second one is how I have reattached the wires to the light.

... that's wrong, the dynamo wires must be attached to the right "IN" terminal blocks as shown in the picture here below

AngieG

Post by AngieG »

Thanks Conrod and Brucey ..
I'll try what you suggested tomorrow and hopefully it will work ...
Would this incorrect wiring that I did account for the fact that the light does not stay on?
thanks
Angie
AngieG

Post by AngieG »

You guys are ace .. all working perfectly now thanks!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I always put the hub connector to the rear of the fork rather than the front on the grounds it is slightly less exposed to rain and muck, but I don't know if it really makes any difference. It's a little more difficult to connect/disconnect in that position though.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.